4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

silky smooth

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

silky smooth

i have been reading most threads on the org but none have really answered my question about suspension. i want to upgrade my suspension in order to get a silky smooth ride. the roads in my area are not that bad so i dont need and expensive adjustable setup. I just dont want to feel the road (or any bumps on it). If anyone knows any kind of setup that does that without taking out too much handling i would apprieciate the input
Old 04-16-2004, 11:15 AM

bump bump bump
Old 04-16-2004, 11:25 AM
Kevlo for President

Tokico Illuminas and H&R
Illuminas are the softest/best strut and H&R are are the softest aftermarket spring.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

There's no such thing as a "silky-smooth-no-feeling-bumps" performance suspension set up for any type of car. Increased handling comes at the expense of stiffer coil and strut dampening rates and lower profile stickier rubber. All of this introduces more ride harshness.

IMO, the best all around performance spring is H&R and adjustable struts are mandatory. Riding on light 17s with slightly taller than stock 225/50s, H&R springs, Koni/AGX adjustable struts, Motivational rear strut mounts, and most importantly Warpspeed Stage I/II subframe connectors, my ride is very compliant, relatively smooth, and handles amazing for a large FWD sedan. When I'm running my stock 15s with performance rubber , the ride quality goes up even more with little change in ultimate handling.

On mild road imperfections, this setup is only slightly more stiff than stock. Once a large bump is encountered you experience more harshness and bounce/rebound. Handling wise, the stock suspension doesn't hold a candle to what my car is capable of now. I attribute a majority of the improved ride quality to my subframe connectors. They stiffen the chassis while letting the suspension do more of it's work.

In a nutshell, if you want a silky smooth ride then buy 195/70R15s highway tires and call it day. If you want amazing handling, good ride quality, and overall much better steering feel, then be prepared to sink about $1500. Don't make the same mistake many of us others have by purchasing crap spring/struts the first go around. Spend the money and do it right the first time. Having the "look" of performance doesn't come remotely close to having the look and having it perform.

Dave
Old 04-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From what I've read, and tried, if you want smooth with no GAIN OR LOSS in performance, you should avoid all aftermarket "performance" springs and dapmers. For best comfort you will probably want to keep your stock GLE springs and get OEM replacement type dampers (ie Monroe Sensatrac, or possibly the KYB GR2s, although they are slightly stouter than stock).
Old 04-16-2004, 10:29 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by maxcooldc
If anyone knows any kind of setup that does that without taking out too much handling i would apprieciate the input

i think you are confused. there are no aftermarket suspention components that IMPROVE ride quality (As far as i know). anytime u install aftermarket springs and shocks, ur improving handling and sacrificing ride quality. now if u wanna improvethe handling and still be close to stock ride quality, then you should order some H&R springs and tokico illumina shocks

Old 04-17-2004, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
i think you are confused. there are no aftermarket suspention components that IMPROVE ride quality (As far as i know). anytime u install aftermarket springs and shocks, ur improving handling and sacrificing ride quality. now if u wanna improvethe handling and still be close to stock ride quality, then you should order some H&R springs and tokico illumina shocks

Air suspension by southwestauto, and set it to stock ride height. THat should be smooth
Old 04-17-2004, 01:27 PM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by ballinontwins
Air suspension by southwestauto, and set it to stock ride height. THat should be smooth

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-19-2004, 06:15 PM

great input so what do guys think of stock se springs with Monroe shocks would that give it a smooth feel and good handle
Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get a GLE and 15 inchers and then deflate the rubber by 5psi and should be silky smooth. Or just a lincoln or something. I love sitting in those things, I always thought the car was off when the car came to a stop.