4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how much leather in a leather interior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 06:59 AM

how much leather in a leather interior?

is it really worth it to buy a leather cleaner and conditioner? i dont think that much of a maxima's interior is ACTUAL leather. i was gonna go try and pick up some lexol, but is it worth it?
Old 04-25-2004, 07:11 AM
Chassis Freak

The seats are mostly leather, and the steering wheel has a lot too. Shift boot is real leather, I think, but the door panel inserts are fake leather.

Bottom line, if your seats don't look new, it's worth it to buy some leather cleaner.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Masaccio
The seats are mostly leather, and the steering wheel has a lot too. Shift boot is real leather, I think, but the door panel inserts are fake leather.

Bottom line, if your seats don't look new, it's worth it to buy some leather cleaner.
i used meguairs cleaner and conditioner, waste of $7, never again, then someone on the org recommended $1 mr clean magic eraser, amazing, took the black right off my tan leather seats, they look like theyre new now
Old 04-25-2004, 08:17 AM
Kevlo for President

Make sure you put a conditioner/protectant after you use hte Eraser.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by kevlo911
Make sure you put a conditioner/protectant after you use hte Eraser.
good call, i forgot to mention that, thanks
Old 04-25-2004, 09:19 AM

so magic eraser -> lexol conditioner? do they sell the magic eraser in canada? im gonna take a look at walmart...
Old 04-25-2004, 10:03 AM

you're good to find that leather conditioner and eraser in Canada. I recommend using a light soap and water to get any stains out and go over it with the leather conditioner to take the rest of the dirt and grime away. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by crappopotamus
is it really worth it to buy a leather cleaner and conditioner? i dont think that much of a maxima's interior is ACTUAL leather. i was gonna go try and pick up some lexol, but is it worth it?
You're right, there's probably about 1 1/2 sq. ft. of low grade leather in a Maxima, hardly worth the "package" price they get for it. A $10 pair of baseball cleats also has "leather" and man-made materials. I wanted the power pass seat so I got it, but as they say a fool and his money are easily parted. Just go to a furniture store (seriously) to see what real leather is all about, it can range from about $1500 to $15000+ for a sofa.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:22 PM
Hooooooonda.....

There is no leather in ANY 4th gens. It's all just some synthetic look alike crap. Good news is that it's some of the best fake leather around, even the older BMW had worse simulation leather than the max.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:27 PM
formz

Originally Posted by Big D
There is no leather in ANY 4th gens. It's all just some synthetic look alike crap. Good news is that it's some of the best fake leather around, even the older BMW had worse simulation leather than the max.
Um.. I've been in brand new BMW's, Mercedes, etc.. and they're all the same 'leather' that is used in my maxima. How could you say it's not real leather? The seats are 100% real.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:33 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Right. Get real. The leather in our cars is just imitation leather. The vinyl or whatever they put in the doors is just made a lot worse so that the seats and other things look more real. Go buy a GENUINE leather jacket and compare it to out seats. Fake.
Old 04-25-2004, 12:43 PM

i heard that the only leather in the max is the part of the seat where your @ss actually sits on, and the part your back rests on, the back side of the seat, and the doors and everything else is synthetic. i could be wrong but i remember hearin someone say it on the org and everyone agreed
Old 04-25-2004, 12:48 PM
Kevlo for President

We do have some crappy leather in our cars. But the part the body touches IS LEATHER.

Big D that is a bad comparison. Go shop for leather sofas and look at the different kinds. Some seem so high quality and nice while others seem like the maxima, but they are still leather. Some just better than others.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:20 PM
formz

Right. Get real. The leather in our cars is just imitation leather. The vinyl or whatever they put in the doors is just made a lot worse so that the seats and other things look more real. Go buy a GENUINE leather jacket and compare it to out seats. Fake.
I hope you're not serious. Are you SERIOUS?!?! You're comparing a LEATHER JACKET THAT IS MADE NEVER TO SEE RAIN/SNOW/MOISTURE to the TREATED LEATHER ON A CAR SEAT THAT IS MADE TO WITHSTAND DIRECT WATER?

I can't believe you are actually comparing a leather jacket to a car interior hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 04-25-2004, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Magikone69
i heard that the only leather in the max is the part of the seat where your @ss actually sits on, and the part your back rests on, the back side of the seat, and the doors and everything else is synthetic. i could be wrong but i remember hearin someone say it on the org and everyone agreed
thats what i hear too... i dunno. this is why im hesitant to spend money on the good lexol stuff. i think im gonna do it though, cause i have an audi a6 that could use it as well.

do ya think the leather conditioner is good for the synthetic leather?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Chassis Freak

Dead wrong. Broaner22 just took apart his leather seat because he got a racing seat, and the back of the leather has the characteristic skin/suede backing. You'd better believe it's real. It's very thin, but it's definitely decent quality leather.

I'd like to know where you get off saying something false with such authority.... oh, I guess it's because you have a big d!ck, excuse me! Carry on!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:21 AM

Yes, it is real leather. Basically most cars with leather seats only have leather where you sit. That's why they say leather appointed seating "surfaces". Some companies put more leather than others. Some it's just the two inserts.
The one under your butt and the one on your lower back. Some make the entire seating surface leather.

As far a quality of leather, Cheaper leather is more durable. For the person who mentioned the sofa store. Go into one and ask whether they would recommend cheap or fine leather for someone with kids that will be jumping on the couch and probably spilling things on it. They will recommend a cheap leather. Fine leather is more delicate. I would rather have cheap leather that's going to stand up to the repetitive abuse of getting in and out of the car in all temperatures and will probably get wet from the weather at certain times.

As far as, should you get leather conditioner. Why not, the bottle will last you a long time and will take good care of the leather that's there.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:24 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Wow, what a dumb****. Why do all you aholes say Big D stands for d!ck? Big D stand for David you tards. Say all you want man but the seats aren't leather, at least no what some would consider leather. You're just mad cause all this time you thought it was real. And yes, you should still use auto leather products on fake leather. Think about it, only a few cars out there have genuine leather. Most have what we have and that's what they test their product on. Whether it's fake, real, or real cheap it still sucks to sit on during the summer. POS.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:29 AM
formz

Big D you're an idiot. Hahahaha this is funny as hell.

Old 04-26-2004, 09:54 AM

thats what i hear too... i dunno. this is why im hesitant to spend money on the good lexol stuff. i think im gonna do it though, cause i have an audi a6 that could use it as well.

do ya think the leather conditioner is good for the synthetic leather?
Here is what I did. I used the mr. clean magic eraser. I recomended it to the org in the detailing forum and the results have been almost unanimous- It rocks! I then followed up with some lexol and the leather truly turned nice and soft. In fact after having the car for a little over a year, I have never had my leather in better conditinon. As far as getting the lexol- yes, it is definately worth it. I have not found anything that actualy softens like lexol. Go for it! Also, it is true that only the part that our **** sits on that is real leather, but lexol everything that resebles leather- it really does the trick
Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by FormorAccordMan
Here is what I did. I used the mr. clean magic eraser. I recomended it to the org in the detailing forum and the results have been almost unanimous- It rocks! I then followed up with some lexol and the leather truly turned nice and soft. In fact after having the car for a little over a year, I have never had my leather in better conditinon. As far as getting the lexol- yes, it is definately worth it. I have not found anything that actualy softens like lexol. Go for it! Also, it is true that only the part that our **** sits on that is real leather, but lexol everything that resebles leather- it really does the trick

sounds like a plan then... thanks to everyone.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Mr Clean Magic Eraser

That eraser is da **** but just don't use it if you have black leather cause it made my seat look really chalky. I would just recommend those foam conditioning leather treatments.

Damn, I was just gonna chill around the house but now I have a hankerin to go clean my interior :-P
Old 04-26-2004, 03:18 PM

sounds like a plan then... thanks to everyone.
formoraccordman is the man for recommending this stuff.. real or cheap leather who cares, my a$$ feels comfy
Old 04-26-2004, 03:27 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Wow, what a dumb****. Why do all you aholes say Big D stands for d!ck? Big D stand for David you tards. Say all you want man but the seats aren't leather, at least no what some would consider leather. You're just mad cause all this time you thought it was real. And yes, you should still use auto leather products on fake leather. Think about it, only a few cars out there have genuine leather. Most have what we have and that's what they test their product on. Whether it's fake, real, or real cheap it still sucks to sit on during the summer. POS.

Okay Big D, you look like such a moron right now. Before you look at the picture below read the following. 1. With a SN like Big D I automatically assume that your d!ck is in fact very small. I don't give a **** if your name is David(I doubt that seeing as its not in your profile) Well, it probably is now seeing as you just changed it after reading the previous sentence. 2. You are not correct about the leather any way you slice it. The 4th gen Max has leather on the inserts, thigh supports, shoulder supports, and head rest. Yes, the back and side is Vinyl. If you want I can take a pic of that too. The seat itself is in storage right now which is why I didn't take a pic of that.
Think about it, only a few cars out there have genuine leather
Maybe the cars that you drive don't have real leather but the nice ones certainly do. The Z does, along with almost all Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Saab, some Nissan, etc... Actually the leather in my moms '04 Saab 9.5 is the highest quality car leather I've ever seen.
And yes, you should still use auto leather products on fake leather.
Again, you are incorrect. Vinyl is based off plastic while leather is organic. Leather treatments have nutrients in them which actually do something. If you put leather treatment on your vinyl seats you are a moron wasting your money.

You may thank Massacio for PM'ing me and telling me what an imbecile you are. I can see through you like a window. You were just trying to justify to your small brain and smaller "D" why you did not spend the extra two hundred or two months to find an SE with leather instead of cloth. And now, the grand finale that seals the deal. Read 'em and weep. This is off the high back section; not the insert section.

Almost forgot this part.

As for the previous posts. It is true that the door inserts and e-brake boot are vinyl. BUT, the steering wheel and shifter are real.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:36 PM

I used the magic eraser on my tan leather and it was amazing. Left the seats really dry though. After they were clean I followed up with Lexol Conditioner. I wouldn't use the magic eraser ever time though. The lexol spray should be fine most of the time.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:00 PM
formz

broaner just owned the mother fuggin' shiat out of Big D hahaha.

Old 04-26-2004, 04:02 PM

I use Zymol cleaner and conditioner.

Like the bottle says, do it on a nice hot day and/or turn on the heated seats to get a deep down cleaning.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Chassis Freak

This MISTER CLEAN® MAGIC ERASER **** sounds good! Never underestimate the power of a bald, earringed, muscular guy beaming with his arms crossed...and don't let him get anywhere near your backside.

However, I have black leather. Anyone with black leather used it with success? I.e., no chalky white residue?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Hooooooonda.....

****. Well I'll be damned. Congratulations formz, you're officially everyones little *****. Sorry if my misinformed self has steered any of you in the wrong direction. Keep on posing and kissing *** formz.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think your right about the bolsters and the back being vinyl. The seat is different cause when you use the cleaner and follow it up with the conditioner it doesn’t feel the same and it doesn’t absorb the stuff you just put on it. As for the pieces on the door, there called simulated leather inserts. When you research the cars packages and what comes with it. It’s called the SE leather trim package. At least that’s for the 98, guessing it’s the same for the rest.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:08 PM
Lightly modded

Originally Posted by Masaccio

I'm pretty damn sure the stock shift boot is vinyl.

About the door inserts....I've been talking with I30tMikeD about my door inserts, and we agree they look different than most others. My stiching is bigger, and compared to the fake leather in my old 95 GLE, the material feels much more realistic. It's probably not leather, but it's different than any other Maxima/I30 I've ever seen. I'm interested to see if anyone else has my style door inserts.
Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Chassis Freak

Yeah, I was wrong about the shift boot. It's not leather.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:06 PM

My question is?

"If our Maxima's do not contain any real leather, can we get a refund for the extra cost for leather?"

As far as my favorite brand of leather conditioner, I have to recommend LEXOL. It is by far the best product on the market for leather treatment in my opinion. It keeps my leather seats looking very plush & moist. I never have to worry about the leather drying or cracking at all. Lexol A++++ in my book....
Old 04-27-2004, 05:12 AM
formz

****. Well I'll be damned. Congratulations formz, you're officially everyones little *****. Sorry if my misinformed self has steered any of you in the wrong direction. Keep on posing and kissing *** formz.
Haha yea.. because I called you out on your glaring stupidity, I'm kissing ***. Haha good logic. Let me guess.. never graduated college did ya?

Old 04-27-2004, 05:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey watch it! I never graduated from college either!

Hell, I didn't even make it through high school.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:15 AM
lefty

I don't think Nissan is stupid to adveritse a leather package if the thing was not real leather to begin with.

Old 04-27-2004, 08:57 AM
2060lbs and falling...

Originally Posted by nostrixoxide
My question is?

"If our Maxima's do not contain any real leather, can we get a refund for the extra cost for leather?"
Please read my previous post. It explains that we do have real leather. It may not be lamb skin but it certainly is leather.

Seems to be the consensus that Lexol and Magic Eraser are the best out there. I have tried Lexol once and wasn't impressed any more than Armor All "Leather". Maybe I'll give it a chance again. I will definitely give the eraser a try though.

To clear up my previous post. The outer part of the seat and back is the only vinyl. Everything facing up or forward is leather, at least on the fronts. I would guess the rears have less real stuff because the designers assume the back seat is less or rarely sat in. Silly designers. They forgot that the Max is a great fxck mobile.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by formz
Haha yea.. because I called you out on your glaring stupidity, I'm kissing ***. Haha good logic. Let me guess.. never graduated college did ya?
You didn't really call me out. You just waited for someone to show some proof and went at me. And no , I never graduated college. It's kind of hard to finish college when you're 20.

Who wants to trade for my pleather seats?
Old 04-27-2004, 01:25 PM
formz

Ahh here is Big D's guide to saving face. Divert all attention away from yourself to some one else. You got owned, so shut up.

Old 04-27-2004, 01:58 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Who wants to trade for my pleather seats?
Are you joking me? Are you saying that you don't believe its real?

Your both acting immature. Still I side with Formz because your SN is Big D. You were wrong. End of story. Stop bickering like children. This is a good thread about how to clean and maintain our LEATHER; not a fxcking p!ssing contest.

Quick Reply: how much leather in a leather interior?