4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

bad knock sensor and engine coolant temp sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:54 AM

bad knock sensor and engine coolant temp sensor

alrighty, I posted with a question about some engine trouble ( http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=304031 ) I was having, and now I have the ECU diagnosis

03-04 Knock Sensor
01-03 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor

I found a forum on the knock sensor that describes it as well as where I can get one. I couldn't find a forum on the replacement procedure. Is this an easily accessible part, or should I take it to a shop seeing as how my garage and a lot of my tools are 5 hours away (I'm in college)?

I couldn't find a thread on the engine coolant sensor. If I'm way overdue for a radiator flush/fill could this cause it? Otherwise what the hell is it and how can i replace it/fix it?

thanks in advance for any help
Old 04-25-2004, 12:03 PM
Kevlo for President

OBD-2 Diagnostic Trouble Codes are always four digits. Your DTC "13" is actually "0103", and it points to the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor. The factory service manual says this DTC is set when the ECTS signal has an excessively high or low voltage. It suggests testing the ECTS and also the associated electric connector and wiring harness.

On the 4th Generation Maxima engine the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor is located in the water outlet tube close to the engine end of the upper radiator hose. There are two sensors in that area. The one nearest the hose is for the dashboard temperature gauge. The ECTS, the one you're interested in, is right next to the the gauge sending unit. There is a good picture of these sensors in the Haynes manual on page 3-7.

With the engine cold, disconnect the ECTS and measure its resistance. Reconnect the ECTS, start the engine, run it until fully warmed up. Stop the engine, and repeat the resistance measurement. The "warm" reading should be a much lower value than the "cold" reading.

The specs for the ECTS are:
Engine coolant temperature 68F, ECTS resistance 2.1 - 2.9 Kohms
Engine coolant temperature 194F, ECTS resistance 0.24 - 0.26 Kohms
(Roughly a factor of ten difference.)

How to replace BOTH KS and ECTS are in the How-To's
Old 04-25-2004, 12:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Any time the KS code comes up with another code, I would assume that it is NOT faulty. Fix the other code(s) and reset the ECU. Then recheck the ecu for codes (even with no CEL) and see if the KS code comes up by itself--if it does, replace it. The KS code is known to pop up with other codes without itself being bad.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:30 PM

Thanks, that is VERY helpful. Once my Haynes manual arrives I'm in business.
Old 04-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just replaced my KS today (I think the old one was the original) and I also had 2 other faults at the same time (Evap system and Evap vent fault or something like that) When I replaced the KS and reset the ECU, the evap faults went away. You might want to consider changing the KS first and see if the other codes go away.