4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nitrous and Burnt Motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 06:04 PM

Anyone ever hear of someone trashing their Max's engine with Nitrous?

I have heard horror stories of guys using Nitrous and melting heads, ect...

Of course this was on old cars years ago...

Just trying to get an idea of how much engine life is reduced by using nitrous?

I want some notrous...but I love my baby and dont want to trash her!
Old 03-22-2001, 07:11 PM

Originally posted by 96SE_dsm
Anyone ever hear of someone trashing their Max's engine with Nitrous?

I have heard horror stories of guys using Nitrous and melting heads, ect...

Of course this was on old cars years ago...

Just trying to get an idea of how much engine life is reduced by using nitrous?

I want some notrous...but I love my baby and dont want to trash her!
A lean fuel mixture can cause serious damage in a matter of seconds. This is a problem especially for engines with a supercharger or "the bottle".

Even if the mixture is carefully controlled, the increased power puts additional stress on piston crowns, cylinder walls, connecting rods, bearings, etc. The more you use the Nitrous the more wear you cause. It's difficult to predict engine life, other than to say it will be shortened.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:18 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

i have alot of friends that have blown their motors on nitrous. ALot of people blow motors on nitrous also but i would say 95% of the time its not the fault of the nitrous. User error+nos blows the motor. People dont do a good setup or use it improperly then boom, or get excited and hookup a 120shot on say a B series motor with no test and tune then BOOM see ya!
Old 03-22-2001, 08:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Their has only ben one person that I am aware of, Jamie F????, who has blown a VQ. I dont know him so my info is second hand. He was running ~125hp shot and was in the high 12's. I read on this BBS, that due to fatigue from partying the night before a race, he forgot to put a fuse in for his "boost" fuel pump. He did blow it.

This goes back to what Turbo said, user error.

I have had my NOS EFI dry kit on my Max for ~2 years now. When I first installed it started with ~40hp shot and worked up to 60hp. I had some problems with my fuel pump not holding the fuel pressure needed. So I changed it to a high flow unit. I work ~50hrs a week, have a family etc, so time to work on the car is scarse. It took about a year to get the 60hp shot straight. I am now at a 100hp shot. That took another year to get up to. I have probably gone through ~15 bottles. I am not a week end racer, just a tinkerer. SXR7 does race his Max allot, I'm sure he has gone through many more bottles than me, and he has not to my knowledge had any problems. He has also taken his time and been patient with his nitrous system build up.

The moral here is if you are not confident in your abilities to install and tune the system or dont have the patience to take your time or you lack the funds to do a rebuild if you do blow it, then nitrous is not for you.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:48 PM

i'll have to agree with MardiGrasMax here... you gotta take your time when you spray your car. nitrous isn't just a bolt-on thing that you install and can forget about it - especially if you race and push your car. there's alot of tuning involved. i must have pulled my plugs at least a hundred times already. take the time to make sure everything's correct and safe... you'll be fine.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:43 AM

I agree with sx7r, as long as you take care of your MAX, you shouldn't have any problems. I've had my MAX on NOS for about 40K miles without any troubles. I started at 50 shot and gone up to 60 shot, and maybe in a few monthes with a better setup will go up to 100 shot. I just change my fuel filter, spark plugs, and transmission fluid more regularly.
Old 03-23-2001, 07:59 PM

Tuning

I read below you said that tuning the system was important.
Lets for discussion say I want a 50 shot.
Aside from mounting and installing the bottle and lines to the intake system...what kind of tuning is needed?
Im not really familiar with how the nitrous is introduced into the Maxima intake system...maybe one of you would be kind enough to describe that. I saw some installation instructions for an NOS kit online...I will try to read up..but it took a long time to get the pages pulled up on my slow machine at home.

Thanks to all for your input.

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
Their has only ben one person that I am aware of, Jamie F????, who has blown a VQ. I dont know him so my info is second hand. He was running ~125hp shot and was in the high 12's. I read on this BBS, that due to fatigue from partying the night before a race, he forgot to put a fuse in for his "boost" fuel pump. He did blow it.

This goes back to what Turbo said, user error.

I have had my NOS EFI dry kit on my Max for ~2 years now. When I first installed it started with ~40hp shot and worked up to 60hp. I had some problems with my fuel pump not holding the fuel pressure needed. So I changed it to a high flow unit. I work ~50hrs a week, have a family etc, so time to work on the car is scarse. It took about a year to get the 60hp shot straight. I am now at a 100hp shot. That took another year to get up to. I have probably gone through ~15 bottles. I am not a week end racer, just a tinkerer. SXR7 does race his Max allot, I'm sure he has gone through many more bottles than me, and he has not to my knowledge had any problems. He has also taken his time and been patient with his nitrous system build up.

The moral here is if you are not confident in your abilities to install and tune the system or dont have the patience to take your time or you lack the funds to do a rebuild if you do blow it, then nitrous is not for you.
Old 03-24-2001, 01:16 AM

Re: Tuning

Lets for discussion say I want a 50 shot.
Aside from mounting and installing the bottle and lines to the intake system...what kind of tuning is needed?
Im not really familiar with how the nitrous is introduced into the Maxima intake system...maybe one of you would be kind enough to describe that. I saw some installation instructions for an NOS kit online...I will try to read up..but it took a long time to get the pages pulled up on my slow machine at home.

Thanks to all for your input.

the nitrous is injected via a fan spray nozzle that needs to be installed in front of the throttle body. for a normal dry kit, the extra fuel needed is supplied through the stock injectors by bumping up the fuel pressure through the stock fuel pressure regulator when the nitrous is engaged.
Old 03-24-2001, 07:39 AM

Re: Tuning

what kind of tuning is needed?
Im not really familiar with how the nitrous is introduced into the Maxima intake system...
You must check your spark plugs for signs of leanness or detonation. Then adjust the system to compensate. It sounds simple but it can be tricky and time consuming.