4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Had an accident, whose insurance do I call?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 07:31 AM

Had an accident, whose insurance do I call?

The other driver was at fault and got a ticket. The cop told us to call are own insurance companies, but all my friends are telling me to call theirs and not to call mines. That if I call mine's, my insurance rates will go up, is this true? My insurance is Progressive.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:36 AM

Well, your rates are going up regardless. That police report will asses the info to the insurance companies database. Even though it's not your fault insurance companies still hold it against you. I would call his/her insurance first of all.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey,

Well your suppose to notify your own insurance company...and no if its not your fault then your rates wont go up...Once your insurance company knows that you've been involved in an accident, they will automatically get the information of the other driver and contact their insurance company for claims...

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2004, 07:48 AM

hmm, 1 vs 1. lol, i'm praying the second response is right. Insurance is already bad enough. thanks
Old 04-26-2004, 07:52 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Originally Posted by sharkulator
Well, your rates are going up regardless. That police report will asses the info to the insurance companies database. Even though it's not your fault insurance companies still hold it against you. I would call his/her insurance first of all.
Maybe where you live.

If you have police report saying it wasn't your fault, some companies will even wave your deductible. Your insurance will not go up because his insurance will fix your car.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I work for a major insurance company.......filing a claim on your policy does not admit any kind of liability whatsoever - however, if it is already determined to be his fault (which it seems to be), just call the other partys' carrier and have them set up a claim for you. There's no need to file a claim on your policy, and your rates will not increase. If your car is not driveable, check and see if they have rental coverage under their policy. Hope this helps.
Old 04-26-2004, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Anti_BigD
Hey,

Well your suppose to notify your own insurance company...and no if its not your fault then your rates wont go up...Once your insurance company knows that you've been involved in an accident, they will automatically get the information of the other driver and contact their insurance company for claims...

Good luck!

Antii_BigD is wrong. Insurance companies are always looking to get the most money out of you. A not at fault accident will not count against you as far as dropping you, but it is on your record (since the police were called) and when you renew they can raise your rates. Sure your monthly rate right now may stay the same but when you renew or change carriers it can go up. Think back to when you signed up for the insurance and they asked you how many accidents regardless of fault. If not at fault accidents were not to be used they would simply ask how many at fault accidents have you had. I may not work for a major insurance company but a good family friend does and I used to be a cop. Nuff said. Good luck anyways
Old 04-26-2004, 08:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by sharkulator
Antii_BigD is wrong. Insurance companies are always looking to get the most money out of you. A not at fault accident will not count against you as far as dropping you, but it is on your record (since the police were called) and when you renew they can raise your rates. Sure your monthly rate right now may stay the same but when you renew or change carriers it can go up. Think back to when you signed up for the insurance and they asked you how many accidents regardless of fault. If not at fault accidents were not to be used they would simply ask how many at fault accidents have you had. I may not work for a major insurance company but a good family friend does and I used to be a cop. Nuff said. Good luck anyways

Ultimately, it depends on your carrier - whether or not your premium increases. The state keeps record of everything (via the SR-13 forms that you MUST send in), and the information is passed on to your insurance provider "when requested." Periodically, your carrier would request your info from the state, and adjust your premium accordingly (if they view you as being some kind of a risk). They usually only request the MVR (Motor Vehicle Record) if you give them reason to (if you're in an accident which is your fault, or a moving violation), or during a random system update. In your instance (and I can only reference our business practices), underwriting acknowledges that you were essentially the "victim", and, unless this happens frequently within a timespan of 3 years (anything older than that is deleted from the system) your premium will not go up. Hope this helps!
Old 04-26-2004, 09:07 AM

thanks for all the replies. I already called their insurance company and gave them the info. But they asked me for my insurance info. Are they supposed to do that? My insurance is with Progressive and the policy is in Atlanta, GA. thanks again
Old 04-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by Anti_BigD
Hey,

Good luck!
Wrong again. His insurance premium goes up no matter whos fault it was.

To the guy whos made this thread, who are you gonna listen to? Your teenage, stoner friends who don't know jack or a police officer who sees accidents everyday?

For God's sake why did you call his insurance? You're supposed to call your own first. You have insurance so that they can take care of claims for you. How can they do that when they don't know you were in an accident? Think about it.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

This thread is interesting. As an Auto Body repair shop manager I'll put in my .02 on insurance claims.

You can go through the other parties carrier if their at fault. There's nothing wrong with doing that and you will not have to pay your deductable. If you go through your own insurance company you will have to pay your deductable, however you should get that back from the party at faults insurance company. (which takes time!!)

The police report will tell the insurance companies who was at fault. Have a copy ready to fax or mail to them. Motor Vehicles will record that you were involved in an accident and also keep record of fault based once again on the police report. Your insurance company can and will querry Motor Vehicles for your driving record which will determin your risk factor and rate.

Also keep in mind that you have the right to choose the shop to have your vehicle repaired at. Don't let the insurance company tell you where to go. Thats called steering and it's technically illegal. Find a place that does good work and give them your car and the claim number. The body shop will handle the rest from there.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Great post, njmaxseltd. Very intelligent, informative post..........unlike some others I've seen.....
Old 04-26-2004, 10:25 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

I have been in an accident that wasn't my fault. (Was rearedned) My rates did not go up. It's listed on my record a "ACDNT-NONCHRGBL" ie Accident, non-chargable. Basically, yes, I was in an accident, however my insurance company does not consider it when calculating my rates because it wasn't my fault. I have American Family Insurance.