4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mothballs improve mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 03:07 PM

Mothballs improve mpg?

i was watching a news report and it said that if you throw in 5 old fashioned mothballs in the gas tank for every gallon of gas you can get better mileage and performance, have you guys heard this?
Old 04-28-2004, 03:49 PM
slackass

There are two different formulations for mothballs. One is NAPHTHLALENE(a chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbon) and the other is PARADICHLOROBENZENE(also an aromatic hydrocarbon).

Under room temperature conditions, these solid chemical compounds have a relatively high
vapor pressures. They can sublime directly from the solid to the gaseous state without
melting during the phase change. When they do, they displace oxygen from confined spaces.

now I did some reading and i came up with:

gasoline formulas in the ‘40s retained some oxygen when mothballs were dissolved in the tank. This additional oxygen might have compensated for a rich fuel condition in the engine and improved performance. Today’s fuels and engine-management systems are so sophisticated that mothballs will not make any difference, except possibly to clog up filters. --quoted from Mike Magda a writer for Motortrend,Autoweek, Hot Truck, pickuptruck.com, truckworld.com, etc
Old 04-28-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by mymaxlvsattn
There are two different formulations for mothballs. One is NAPHTHLALENE(a chlorinated aromatic hydrocarbon) and the other is PARADICHLOROBENZENE(also an aromatic hydrocarbon).

Under room temperature conditions, these solid chemical compounds have a relatively high
vapor pressures. They can sublime directly from the solid to the gaseous state without
melting during the phase change. When they do, they displace oxygen from confined spaces.

now I did some reading and i came up with:

gasoline formulas in the ‘40s retained some oxygen when mothballs were dissolved in the tank. This additional oxygen might have compensated for a rich fuel condition in the engine and improved performance. Today’s fuels and engine-management systems are so sophisticated that mothballs will not make any difference, except possibly to clog up filters. --quoted from Mike Magda a writer for Motortrend,Autoweek, Hot Truck, pickuptruck.com, truckworld.com, etc
The thing you forgot to mention is that if you are in the habit of having and using moth *****, use some common sense. Have your suits dry cleaned before wearing them. That s*** stinks. There was an old dude in our firm that would smell like moth ***** every day. Dry clean people.