4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car Wont Start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 11:30 AM

Car Wont Start!

Yesterday I went to start my car and it just turned over quickly for a long time but didn't start. I just replaced the starter so the engine turns over very quickly. The car has 100,000 miles on it and I was wondering what you all thought it could be. I have no idea whether it's the fuel pump, ignition, electric, etc... Has anyone else had the same problem with a 1996 Maxima SE?
Thanks,
Alex
Old 05-03-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by burgundyblues66
Yesterday I went to start my car and it just turned over quickly for a long time but didn't start. I just replaced the starter so the engine turns over very quickly. The car has 100,000 miles on it and I was wondering what you all thought it could be. I have no idea whether it's the fuel pump, ignition, electric, etc... Has anyone else had the same problem with a 1996 Maxima SE?
Thanks,
Alex

hey man...

WOW!!! this is a COMMON nissan problem ... im honestly suprised no replied to this post yet.... well this happened to my '96 se maxima and jus happened yesterday to my neighbors se... this is what you do... get like a screwdriver or sumthn metal in that shape... go underneath your car.... and find your starter... jus start hitting the starter with the metal piece for like 30scs. ( dont hit it to hard, but hard enuf ) then go try to start your car man... if it doesnt work the first time keep trying it will eventually.... let me know if it works... if not i have more solutions

Kenny
Old 05-03-2004, 12:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

do you have any other symptoms?

did this just start happening out of nowhere or did you do something to the car recently?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:51 PM

Not Starter

I know it's not the starter which is a problem because I just replced it, the engine turns over very quickly for as long as I hold the key, but it never actually starts. It is more likely something else, but there were no symptoms. The starter was replaced about a week ago. What happened with this is that I rolled my car out of my garage without starting it (just because there's no need, my driveways a downhill slope) and when I tried to start it next time, there was no hope. Nothing like that had previously happened, it started perfectly after I replaced the starter.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Its more than likely one of your two crank position sensors. more than likely the phase cps. its the one under the crankshaft pulley. Or the harness for that sensor may be damaged because it runs behind the power steering pump. Im a tech at a nissan dealership so ive seen this a few times. It could also be a few other things. If you dont want to guess, I suggest you take it to a dealership. Let them diagnose it but be careful with the diag time. If they cant find it with 1 to two hours diag time at the most, then the tech doesnt know what he's doing. Dont pay more because their tech isnt good at diagnosing.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:32 PM

well, could i diagnose this myself? could i fix the crank position sensors myself?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Listen all I can tell you is that you could replace the sensor and it still not fix the problem. The only way to fix a car without the proper tools I.E., a scan tool, volt meter, logic probe, etc. Is to guess. I can give you a list of what ive seen as the most common causes but it could get expensive if you dont guess right. 1.crank pos sensor(under crank shaft pulley) 2.other cps(on front of tranny bell housing) 3.harnees on crank pulley sensor dammaged(look)4.tranny bolts loose(dont ask why just check to be sure they are tight)5.ECU took a dump.(worse case) KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE ALL COMMON CAUSES AFTER BASIC POSSIBLE CAUSES HAVE BEEN ELIMINATED(check for spark, fuel , and air).
Old 05-03-2004, 08:28 PM

this is what you do... get like a screwdriver or sumthn metal in that shape... go underneath your car.... and find your starter... jus start hitting the starter with the metal piece for like 30scs. ( dont hit it to hard, but hard enuf ) then go try to start your car man... if it doesnt work the first time keep trying it will eventually....

just do what i said man... trust me ... i dont care if u just installed a new starter an hour ago... trust me... i know what im talkn about...

Kenny
Old 05-03-2004, 08:41 PM

would it be a good idea to invest in a cheap obd-II scan tool?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Crank with no start conditions are usually associated with a faulty Crank Position Sensor.

There are two:

POS (position) is located under the car, twards the front on the transmission bell housing.
REF (referance) is located under the crank pully.

Both of these sensors tend to collect fine metalic dust on the pickup heads. Remove the sensor and clean off the dust and see if that gets you going again. Also check for stored error codes in your ECU which might point you to a completely dead sensor. I believe if POS dies, your car will not start.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by pLoMaXiMuS
this is what you do... get like a screwdriver or sumthn metal in that shape... go underneath your car.... and find your starter... jus start hitting the starter with the metal piece for like 30scs. ( dont hit it to hard, but hard enuf ) then go try to start your car man... if it doesnt work the first time keep trying it will eventually....

just do what i said man... trust me ... i dont care if u just installed a new starter an hour ago... trust me... i know what im talkn about...

Kenny
Why would he want to do that? What does this accomplish? I'm just curious, since I remember having to do this when my starter was dying on me. It seems that he's able to crank his starter, which is something that my old starter wasn't doing, and tapping the starter would allow me to get the starter to crank. Is it that the tapping frees the gears? If so, is this necessary if his starter is cranking?
Old 05-04-2004, 06:17 AM

Why would he want to do that? What does this accomplish? I'm just curious, since I remember having to do this when my starter was dying on me. It seems that he's able to crank his starter, which is something that my old starter wasn't doing, and tapping the starter would allow me to get the starter to crank. Is it that the tapping frees the gears? If so, is this necessary if his starter is cranking?

i honestly have no clue... but it always WORKS!!! i dont see why he isnt just doing what i say?? instead wants to invest in something... i dunno man... it would jus be a lot easier al least trying i am 99.99999999% sure it will work... jus 3days ago my neighbor had the same problem and i did the whole hit the starter a couple of times and it worked! ... FOR FREEE!! .LOL but wateva man let him do what he pleases... ( waste money on sumthn so easy to fix )

Kenny
Old 05-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

i know this is an old message i have similar problem tried the tapping thing it doesnt work for me sorry his problem sounds like what the other guy was saying check the ground wire and bolts on tranny also the cps and cam sensor
Old 05-31-2011, 11:46 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

OMFG

Originally Posted by wolf9305
i know this is an old message i have similar problem tried the tapping thing it doesnt work for me sorry his problem sounds like what the other guy was saying check the ground wire and bolts on tranny also the cps and cam sensor
You resurrected a 7 year old thread to not even ask a question?