4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

EVAP Canister is all F'ed up...Cannot remove Comtrol Valve...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

EVAP Canister is all F'ed up...Cannot remove Comtrol Valve...HELP!

I have an evap code, so after reading this thread I decided to clean the EVAP Canister Control valve.

The Haynes was of no help, but after some reading on the org I found it. I loosened the 3 scres that hold the canister in place and lowered it down, then took a screwdriver to the screws that hold the valve on theend of the canister. No luck. So I took a socket to them. One broke free and came right out, but the other one spun freely- though the bolt and nut remained fused together. What does this mean? THE NUT THAT IS A PART OF THE CANISTER IS ENCASED IN PLASTIC!!!! The nut broke free of its intended resting place and spun in place, so there is no way to remove it. I was able to rotate the control valve around to the point where I could lubricate and move the plunger, but the plunger inside the valve is cracked and needs to be replaced. One problem, though- due to the problem with the nut, I cannot get the old control valve OFF.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just replace the canister and control valve and be done with it?

Thanks!

Patrick
Old 05-06-2004, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would just replace both. They don't cost too much. I just replaced my control valve and paid $47 at my local nissan dealership
Old 05-06-2004, 12:35 PM

Wouldn't hurt to replace both if it doesn't cost too much. The EVAP Cannister really shouldn't NEED to be replaced (except, of course, for the spinning nut problem) though.

You could try to take a hacksaw to the bolt of there is enough room. The newer vent control valves fit in there pretty snugly, and the one remaining bolt should do the trick. This is assuming you have the newer style VCV that has the O-ring on the valve itself, as it friction fits into the cannister pretty tightly. I can't talk about the older style valves, as I have never really come across one.

Best bet, replace the cannister as soon as practical.

Good Luck

Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 07:39 PM

replace them both. trust me on this!!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:30 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

I think I will replace them both, but there are problems figuring out what parts I need to do the job. 2 different dealerships have listed 2 different parts for each component.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by phenryiv1
I think I will replace them both, but there are problems figuring out what parts I need to do the job. 2 different dealerships have listed 2 different parts for each component.
There is an "older" style and a "newer" style vent control valve for "older" or "newer" EVAP cannisters according to the recall service procedure for this problem. In addition to that, the Nissan dealer gave me a price for an even more expensive Vent Control Valve with a different part number. I'm assuming thats the next generation of these parts.

Just go to the Nissan dealer and tell him you need two parts that match, and have them make sure they will work. I'm pretty sure that the only difference with everything is the way the valve mates to the cannister. There are no other differences to the cannister in the way of tubes or hoses or doo-dads. At least, not that I'm aware of.

Mike
Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That is kind of a crappy design. I had the same problem with mine on my 97. I ended up cutting the end of the bolt off to get the sensor off, then I was drilling the old bolt out or something and the heat broke the seized bolt loose from the nut. I then re-epoxyed the nut back in place. Although after all that work, If I were you I would just replace the canister if you can foot the bill.