4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hks intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 02:51 AM

Hks intake?

I was at the hks usa site today and noticed they have intakes for our cars for more than two hundred bucks. What kind of intake are these? I'm ordering an hks super mega flow filter today but I was just curious.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:10 AM

HKS is good $hit, but for an intake on our cars you'd be payin for the name.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:38 AM

Yeah I figured that I just wonderd what it looks like.
Old 05-07-2004, 06:18 AM
How 'bout them cliffs?

Originally Posted by Shift_my vq
Yeah I figured that I just wonderd what it looks like.
i believe they're the green "mushroom head" ones.http://www.autodesignhaus.com/tuners/hks/intake.htm
Old 05-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HKS Super Mega Flow experience

A while back, a japanese magazine did an intake test between SARD, Blitz, K&N, Apex'i and HKS filters. They tested rwhp gains over stock on a supra, as well as the filtration capability of the filter media. To summarize, HKS came in last but showed medium hp gains. It came in last mainly because it did an absolutely horrible job of filtering out the carbon particles used in the test. Apex'i won first place with high power output and the super clean filtration (then K&N, blitz, sard, hks)

The magazine was in japanese, so I don't know exactly what they were talking about, but they did show a picture of some guy trying to wash the HKS foam filters, which is a no no. Maybe thats why they came up with such horrible filtering? HKS foam filters are unwashable and cost $20 a pop and the recommended change is every 3-6k miles.

I have an HKS myself, and have had it for 40k miles, 3 years. I haven't had any problems and it does sound nice and throaty under mild throttle and screams at WOT. Paid like $200 for it back in the day.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

here's a link to the filtration test:
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

they don't have all the pictures of the magazine, and they omitted the sard filter for some reason
Old 05-07-2004, 09:56 AM

The only intake for Maxima I can recommend is CAI (Cold Air Intake). If u ever have a chance to get this one - go for it, won't regret.

It s the one which is located towards below the hood, where the air is rich of oxygen.

Trust me its been discussed thousand times on this forum. Cai will give you increase in power on all ranges. (Low, mid and high)
Old 05-07-2004, 10:15 AM

I was at the hks usa site today and noticed they have intakes for our cars for more than two hundred bucks. What kind of intake are these? I'm ordering an hks super mega flow filter today but I was just curious.
If you are gonna order one, buy it from me. I have a S/C now and my first mod is the HKS filter. I'l give it to you for $100 bucks plus shippin. If you need my a voucher the west coast an vouch for me and the owner of the org. hit me up if interested.
As for the performance? i was satisfied with it. No complaints.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm needing a caw

I think I first posted that test. From what I gathered, the hks did flow well. But at the expense of horrible fitration(as you mentioned). I just don't think you can get any decent filtration from a foam filter.

Anyway, I don't think you would "notice" any drivability problems. The problem what would show would be a marked increase in engine wear from letting in bigger amounts of dirt (silicone). That will act as sandpaper on the cylinder walls.

The only real test to see how much silicone you are letting (or not letting in), is to have an oil sample tested at Blackstone labs (about $20) See the fluids/lubricant forums for more info.

Originally Posted by MaximaGTR34
A while back, a japanese magazine did an intake test between SARD, Blitz, K&N, Apex'i and HKS filters. They tested rwhp gains over stock on a supra, as well as the filtration capability of the filter media. To summarize, HKS came in last but showed medium hp gains. It came in last mainly because it did an absolutely horrible job of filtering out the carbon particles used in the test. Apex'i won first place with high power output and the super clean filtration (then K&N, blitz, sard, hks)

The magazine was in japanese, so I don't know exactly what they were talking about, but they did show a picture of some guy trying to wash the HKS foam filters, which is a no no. Maybe thats why they came up with such horrible filtering? HKS foam filters are unwashable and cost $20 a pop and the recommended change is every 3-6k miles.

I have an HKS myself, and have had it for 40k miles, 3 years. I haven't had any problems and it does sound nice and throaty under mild throttle and screams at WOT. Paid like $200 for it back in the day.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:33 AM

If you are gonna order one, buy it from me. I have a S/C now and my first mod is the HKS filter. I'l give it to you for $100 bucks plus shippin. If you need some vouchers, the west coast can vouch for me and the owner of the org. hit me up if interested.
As for the performance? i was satisfied with it. No complaints.