4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Anyone know a how-to on flushing the brakes system?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 11:54 AM
eturnl

Anyone know a how-to on flushing the brakes system?

anyone have a good link for flushing the brake system?

Old 05-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Garage/1999%20Nissan%20Maxima%20SE/SpeedBleeders.htm

Here's how with speed bleeder's (which I would hightly recommend). One note: I was a moron and for some reason thought they were supposed to be flush with the caliper and crushed one of the bleeder's. Other than that the speed bleeder's made it very easy. Just tighten it until the fluid stops coming out when the brake is pressed.

If you don't want to get speed bleeder's (or are stupid like me and crush one) do the following. Get someone to help you. open up the bleeder just like in the instructions then have your helper press the pedal to the floor and hold as you close the bleeder back up. then Let them bring the pedal back up. Rinse and repeat.

There was some confusion in another thread and the concensus (sp?) was that flushing the brake system is the same as bleeding the brakes with the exception that you keep going until all the old fluid is out. One other thought is that you might want to look into getting a brake fluid that's not gold colored (like ATE superblue) so that you know when you've gotten all the old stuff.

*Edit* Don't know why the address didn't turn into a link but it does work if you copy and paste. Also the price of the speed bleeder's is actually less than listed there. I think I paid something like $35 shipped.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:53 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by Terran

There was some confusion in another thread and the concensus (sp?) was that flushing the brake system is the same as bleeding the brakes with the exception that you keep going until all the old fluid is out. One other thought is that you might want to look into getting a brake fluid that's not gold colored (like ATE superblue) so that you know when you've gotten all the old stuff.
This is correct. If you have to do it alone, speedbleeders are useful - the technique is as described in the link provided. If you have a second person to help, the technique is similar. One person presses the brake pedal while the other opens the bleeder so that the fluid comes out. The key is the brake-pedal must not be released until the bleeder is closed again - so that air is not sucked into the brake lines. The way I ensure this is to always shut the bleeder while a steady stream of brake fluid is still coming out... then I have the helper release the brake pedal, and start pressing again - at which point I open the bleeder again, so and so forth at each wheel. A "flush" means to try to keep doing this at each wheel until all the old fluid has been replaced by new fluid. A different color would be the easiest way, but when I did mine, the old stuff was so dirty that it was obvious when the new fluid had made it through the brake line. Another useful tip: use a clear section of hose over the bleeder to guide the expelled fluid into a bottle/container - so that you can see the color of the fluid being expelled from the brake lines.

I found that it took a 32oz bottle to comfortably flush all 4 lines, with room for waste. The smaller 1oz bottle will not be enough to flush the entire system.

Nirav