4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

pulling dents out with dry ice????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:08 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

pulling dents out with dry ice????

I had a friend tell me that one way to pull out small fingertip size dents is to use dry ice.... get it really hot, and then put dry ice on the dent for a few seconds, and it supposedly pulls it out... anyone heard of this before??? and it actually works????
Old 05-17-2004, 10:59 AM

I've removed dents with a torch before, repeated heating/cooling relaxes the metal to the point where it usually will conform to the surrounding shape. This method also destroys paint, so I only do it on panels which will be repainted. Never tried dry ice.... that sounds like the heating/cooling process might damage the paint too (stress cracks). There is a company called "Dent Doctor" in my town, and he usually can remove dents/dings for about $75/door. Search for paintless dent removal.

belosic
Old 05-17-2004, 12:05 PM

it is not one of those things that you see on television to just suction on there and pull the dents out. This might work a little on a huge dent that you cannot get behind, but the "Dent Doctor" like suggested above and others will push it out from behind with a special tool. That is why they charge so much, it is not easy.

When I first got my car, I had him remove a few dents out of my doors(I worked at a dealership at the time and knew the guy pretty well that did all the cars there). He only charges me $40, but that was a very light estimate. He did a good job though. Unfortunately, I already have a few back in the doors.

I hate having to park beside people, but you cannot always help from it!
Old 05-17-2004, 01:53 PM

yeah, my brother in law told me about a plce that charges 35 dollars a dent (small ones) which is pretty much all I have, door dings! GRR. I'm going to get them removed, I tried that suction cup thing from TV, it dosen't work at all, it dosen't do anything.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:29 PM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

I was afraid of that.... I think im going to wait untill I get it repainted and stuff to get all of my body work done... only thing is I polished and waxed my car today, and the paint is in such good condition, but because its black, every little dent sticks out like crazy..... hrmmm... what to do...
Old 05-21-2004, 07:55 AM

I would say just wait until you get a few and they are really bugging you. Then, just knock them all out(no pun intended) at once.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes, dry ice really works, but I wouldn't recommend it for one dent. Dry ice isn't cheap and it disappears quick. Hail damage, yes. Door ding, no. Oh, if you do use the dry ice, make sure you have insulated gloves to handle the ice, don't want severe frostbite.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by batldroid32
Yes, dry ice really works, but I wouldn't recommend it for one dent. Dry ice isn't cheap and it disappears quick. Hail damage, yes. Door ding, no. Oh, if you do use the dry ice, make sure you have insulated gloves to handle the ice, don't want severe frostbite.
can you explain your step by step process you used with the dry ice?
Old 05-23-2004, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nismo
can you explain your step by step process you used with the dry ice?
There really isn't a step by step procedure. Apply the ice to the area and periodocoly check the area, shouldn't take long at all. If the area to be fixed isn't on a flat surface you will need to create a barrier to keep the ice in place, like using cardboard and masking tape to build a wall. Dry ice will make the metal so cold that it will help to shrink the metal and retract the dent, some may require mud work depending on how deep the dent is. Ice only works on those small pesky dents like hail damage and door dings, not the more severe ones though. Remember, dry ice doesn't melt. It goes from solid to gas and is extremely cold and disappears rather quickly. You should be able to purchase it chunked, shaved or in blocks.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:05 AM

Would the ice damage the paint in any way?
Old 05-23-2004, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also have a black Max and the dings show up really well. I will call around to see how much the paintless ding removal is here in town. It is a shame to wash my car, have it very shinny, and then have all of the dings on the doors. I try to park as far as possible from other people(usually at the end of parking lots), but the "dingers" always find me.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Nismo
Would the ice damage the paint in any way?
No. Not unless there is already damage to the paint. There should not be any damage frome the ice.