4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Trunk issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Trunk issues

Hello all,
I am not able to open my trunk using the lever inside the car but with the key it opens ok. Is this because of a minor disconnect or something?
Old 05-18-2004, 06:49 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by sarmsamp
Hello all,
I am not able to open my trunk using the lever inside the car but with the key it opens ok. Is this because of a minor disconnect or something?
Open your trunk with the key and look on the inside of the trunk lid near the locking hardware- you will see a little latch/switch that can be toggled. This toggle disables the interior trunk release - most likely this is your problem... the flip this switch the other way and you should be all set... if this doesn't fix your problem, a follow-up Q: do you feel any resistance when you pull on the inside trunk release lever?

Nirav
Old 05-18-2004, 06:53 AM
Hooooooonda.....

The latch that's inside there disables the opening of the trunk completely. I pushed the latch down and couldn't open the trunk with either the key or the button on the door. If the key opens it, it's most likely that the cable got disconnected somewhere. Also what lever? I thought all the maxes had the door button to open the trunk?
Old 05-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Do I get a tax break?

yup - my bad on the trunk lever - I meant the door button... I don't think the lever on the trunk latch is supposed to stop you being able to open the trunk with the key... hmm.. I'll have to check at lunch on my max and get back to you... I thought it was to keep the trunk secure during valet parking etc...

I don't know if there is a direct connection between the push button and the actual cable.. unless the cable is runnning up into the door (unlikely).. most likely the push button is activating some relay/solenoid that pops the trunk open (the same solenoid that works with the keyless remote)... does the trunk open with the remote (if you have one)... this would rule out that solenoid being bad..

Nirav
Old 05-18-2004, 07:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by njmodi
yup - my bad on the trunk lever - I meant the door button... I don't think the lever on the trunk latch is supposed to stop you being able to open the trunk with the key... hmm.. I'll have to check at lunch on my max and get back to you... I thought it was to keep the trunk secure during valet parking etc...

I don't know if there is a direct connection between the push button and the actual cable.. unless the cable is runnning up into the door (unlikely).. most likely the push button is activating some relay/solenoid that pops the trunk open (the same solenoid that works with the keyless remote)... does the trunk open with the remote (if you have one)... this would rule out that solenoid being bad..

Nirav
Hi all,
Thankyou for your feedabck. By trunk lever I meant the latch between the driver seat and the door which we push for gas door and pull for trunk. So is there something inside the trunk that I can toggle/adjust or do whatever to get this straightened out. Thanks, again.
Old 05-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Hooooooonda.....

So you have a lever. What year is your car? If the key works and the lever doesn't the striker is probably disconnected from the lever. Look under the carpeting and in the trunk to see what might be wrong.
Old 05-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Yes - there will be another latch/level at the actual lock mechanism in the trunk (in the trunk lid where it secures to the car)... this latch can be flipped to enable/disable the inside car button...
Old 01-11-2005, 01:44 PM
UCF Lexus

Originally Posted by njmodi
Yes - there will be another latch/level at the actual lock mechanism in the trunk (in the trunk lid where it secures to the car)... this latch can be flipped to enable/disable the inside car button...

ARE you SURe?