4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Suspension install questions ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 05:13 PM

Suspension install questions ...

Here's the deal ... when all my goodies get here in the mail, I'm doing a big install day. Here's what's going in ...

Maxspeed Springs
KYB GR-2 Struts
OBX Cat Back
WSP Y-Pipe

Now, on the suspension (the rest will be cake). What else do I need to complete the job? I have the struts and springs ... I see some people talking about dust boots, do I need to pick them up too?

Just need to make sure I have all I need. I've done numerous suspensions before, but they've all been complete coil-over kits so there wasn't a need to assemble the strut and springs together before the install - it was a just bolt in.

Thanks in advance ...

I'll make sure to post pics too, it should make for a silly day. A few friends and myself running around with air tools and Yuengling Lager
Old 05-21-2004, 05:27 PM

You don't need new dust boots if your OG dust boots are in good condition. Didn't have to replace anything when i changed the shocks + springs. There's only 40,000 miles on my max though You won't need camber bolts/kit either since it's only a 1.5" drop. I got the same setup! took a fellow ORG'er 1 hr 15 min to get it on and off but he did it in a shop GL with the install

You'll need a spring compressor from Autozone or Advanced Auto parts(for the install) + go to a local Merchants for alignment after install.... don't forget to go after a month again since it takes time for the springs to settle
Old 05-21-2004, 05:31 PM

Yep, got it covered on the alighment and I have a spring compressor. It's good to have a master mechanic in the family ... I've got access to more tools than you can imagine

I'm not concerned about actually doing it, I'm quite capable around a car. But I just wanted to make sure I had all the necessary parts - after all, I've only had my max for like 2 months so I'm not completely up to speed on the details yet

Thanks for replying about the boots, I only have 74K on my car so we'll see.
Old 05-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Always make sure that you start work early in the morning so if you need to run out and get parts, you have time to.

If you read nissan FSM's, it will tell you that some suspension bolts and/or nuts are a one-time use only and they should be replaced...well...this is true for some. I had 100k on my G before and one of my lower control arm bolts was completely rusted in. So just be careful on those suspension parts that you might want to buy some new nuts/bolts that fit. Also have a manual that gives you torque settings for all of the suspension (FSM or i think haynes does give it)...

You forgot to get upper strut mounts.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I try to do my installs on differnent days. Like exhaust this weekend and then suspension on the next weekend. If it starts making noises, you'll have a better idea of where it's coming from.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:57 AM

Upper strut mounts? Where can I get those and how much are they?

Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-22-2004, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by DemonSpawn
Upper strut mounts? Where can I get those and how much are they?

Thanks for the replies!
It's the black piece at the very top after you pull out your struts/springs. It holds everything together. You won't have to replace it! If you decide to, it's $17 from courtesynissan
Old 05-22-2004, 05:12 PM

Oh dude, yeah ... I wasn't planning on replacing those
Old 05-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would suggest replacing the upper strut mounts. On all maximas like with 75k miles or more than 5 years old, these things WILL go. If you're up there you really should do them while you're at it.
Old 05-22-2004, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by G20Flyer
I would suggest replacing the upper strut mounts. On all maximas like with 75k miles or more than 5 years old, these things WILL go. If you're up there you really should do them while you're at it.
Yes! While doing my suspension i busted an upper strut mount without trying. You would have to make the judgement call on that. Most mounts aren't bad but could be changed.

The maxima rear suspension will be cake (just to let you know), you don't even have to use spring compressors to compress them. They come right off. Unscrew the top screw, there you go, off the spring. Good luck!!!!