4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

haedlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004 | 11:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

headlights

I have been using some aftermarket bulbs they where 80/100 watts and my wiring just burnt up and now i i get no power to the haedlights checked the fuse and the relay under the hood i dont know where to check now i have to wire them right to the battery is there another relay some where that might have went out?
Old 05-22-2004 | 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by KitsapMaxima
I have been using some aftermarket bulbs they where 80/100 watts and my wiring just burnt up and now i i get no power to the haedlights checked the fuse and the relay under the hood i dont know where to check now i have to wire them right to the battery is there another relay some where that might have went out?
im not sure what wattage our headlights use, but if you used too high of a wattage you could have cooked your wireing and/or harness(aka the thing the bulbs plug into).

check the condition of this area, they run like 22 each i think from the stealership
Old 05-22-2004 | 12:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yeah i burned those up and they shorted out and now i cant get any power to the headlights I had to use some wire clips on the bulbs the plugs are burnt up. I was just wondering if theres another relay or something that burned up?
Old 05-22-2004 | 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by KitsapMaxima
Yeah i burned those up and they shorted out and now i cant get any power to the headlights I had to use some wire clips on the bulbs the plugs are burnt up. I was just wondering if theres another relay or something that burned up?
i doubt you cooked a relay, you can go to the store, walmart, autozone and buy a circuit tester or something like that and you can tell if your plugs are getting power

im terrible with electric stuff but this is what happened to mine, and i just spliced in the new wires for the plugs
Old 05-22-2004 | 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You will have to replace both the bulbs and harness. If you want to continue to use those bulb (which you should not), you will have to upgrade the harness to a bigger gauge.

Our headlight harnesses suck at holding higher wattage bulbs. The lowest watt. that i used and still burnt out on me was 65/55. We must use 55 watts or nothing at all.