4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

1999 SE Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 05:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

1999 SE Starting Problem

Yesterday, my wife and I were out running some errands. As usual, the car performed without any noticable problems. On our way home I filled up with gas. I pulled into the garage like normal and parked the car.

Later in the day I needed to run back out and went to start my Maximia. The car refused to start. The starter was cranking the engine, but no attempt to fire up the engine. It seemed as if the car had no plugs in it. The typical lights came on the dash, but all the engined did was crank without firing. The battery is like new - so that's not the problem.

Does this sound like a fuel pump problem? Electrical? Are there any specific things I can check or look for? Fuses? Gas problem? What is the likely scenario here. Happened to anyone else? Any other ideas before I have it towed to the dealer? Plelase advise.

The car has 41k miles on it.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 05-22-2004, 09:04 AM

It sounds like your having the same problem as many of us. Check out this thread .

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=306697
Old 05-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by st8rider
It sounds like your having the same problem as many of us. Check out this thread .

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=306697
Thanks. I read the thread, and while there sounds like some similarities I'm not so sure everyone has the same problem. Mine acts as if nothing is firing thus not turning over. It's not a matter of cold temps, or jiggling the key. I check all my fuses and still no go. It's not even attempting to fire up! It's not intermittent either - just plan won't fire.

From the way it sounds, this may be problem even a dealer can't fix? Has anyone had the dealer fix this problem?

Thanks again for the reply,
redjr...
Old 05-22-2004, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by redowns
Thanks. I read the thread, and while there sounds like some similarities I'm not so sure everyone has the same problem. Mine acts as if nothing is firing thus not turning over. It's not a matter of cold temps, or jiggling the key. I check all my fuses and still no go. It's not even attempting to fire up! It's not intermittent either - just plan won't fire.

From the way it sounds, this may be problem even a dealer can't fix? Has anyone had the dealer fix this problem?

Thanks again for the reply,
redjr...
hi. you know i also have the same problem. usually it takes me about 4-5 times sometimes even as much as 20 times turning the key to the start position to finally start it. but just recently, about thursday my car just pooped out. i wouldnt start for anything. i spent about 45 minutes in a parking garage trying to get it to finally start. it was a no-go. so i finally gave up and called AAA club, and they came to tow me out, but the tow truck was too big. to make a long story short, he took a look at the car and gave the stater a jiggle. the diagnosis was that the starter became sticky,and it was sticking to the cylinoid. there was another post somewhere here in the forum to show how to fix this, ill post it if i can find it.
Old 05-22-2004, 03:32 PM

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516

this was the site on how to fix the stickyness. i dont know if this is your exact problem, and it looks a little complicated. but this could be a suggestion. Good luck.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yesterday, my wife and I were out running some errands. As usual, the car performed without any noticable problems. On our way home I filled up with gas. I pulled into the garage like normal and parked the car.

Later in the day I needed to run back out and went to start my Maximia. The car refused to start. The starter was cranking the engine, but no attempt to fire up the engine. It seemed as if the car had no plugs in it. The typical lights came on the dash, but all the engined did was crank without firing. The battery is like new - so that's not the problem.

Does this sound like a fuel pump problem? Electrical? Are there any specific things I can check or look for? Fuses? Gas problem? What is the likely scenario here. Happened to anyone else? Any other ideas before I have it towed to the dealer? Plelase advise.

The car has 41k miles on it.

With the car being a 99, sounds like your immoblizer been triggered. Common problem with the 99. Only a dealer can reset and reprogram keys. Cost 100-125.
Thanks,

Rick
With the car being a 99, sounds like your immoblizer been triggered. Common problem with the 99. Only a dealer can reset and reprogram keys. Cost 100-125.
Old 05-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by LBmax96
http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516

this was the site on how to fix the stickyness. i dont know if this is your exact problem, and it looks a little complicated. but this could be a suggestion. Good luck.
Thanks for the link LBmax96. I'm still not sure my symptoms are the same. I don't think my starter is NOT engaging the engine. I'm familar with the sound of a stuck solenoid, or the starter not engaging the crank. The starter seems to be cranking the engine, the engine is just not firing - like all six plugs are dead.

Anyway, I'll try a few more attempts tomorrow, but I leave town on business tomorrow evening. I'll have my wife call a local shop and get it towed for them to take a look see - at least at the obvious!

BTW, is there anything that could go wrong (or right) with the ECU where it would prohibit the engine from starting? Some set of circumstances that the ECU is interrupting as 'don't start the car'?

Another thing that's odd, is I had the car serviced about a month ago at the local NIssan dealer - nothing related to this problem. AT least I don't think so. But, I've always been skeptical of dealers - wanting to believe that while fixing one thing they often intentionally sabotage another area, just to get a few more hundred dollars somewhere down the road. I don't want to believe that, but I wouldn't put it past them. I know I sound paranoid, but I simply don't trust dealers at all.

Thanks again,
redjr...
Old 05-22-2004, 05:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is there a valid reason I can't search this and other forums? I try, but keep getting as message to the affect I don't have proper access. I'm a registered member. What gives?

redjr...
Old 05-22-2004, 06:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by fisher01
fisher01,

Thanks for the tip. If the immoblizer is to blame, does the car need to get towed to a dealer, or can just the keys be taken in? I wasn't even aware of this system on my car. I have rather normal looking keys, with no obvious electronics - then maybe that's the point. Does the key look like a normal key? Can't imagine having to incurr the cost of towing just to have the system/keys RESET! Wait, yes I can. More money for the dealer.

Thanks,
redjr..
Old 05-23-2004, 03:54 PM

Yes, must tow car to dealer, have to reprogram system in car and all keys.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Yes, must tow car to dealer, have to reprogram system in car and all keys.
Another thought, if the dealer says its your ECU, take your car to another dealer. There was a thread here recently when someone had the same problem as you, dealer said car needed new ECU, (big dollars) when actuallly it was the immoblizer. Believe Nissan issued a TSB on this problem. Common to the 99 Maxima's.

i went through this no-start condition about 1 1/2 years ago. Dealer has no explanation as to why it happens.
Old 05-23-2004, 04:12 PM
acj

Is there a valid reason I can't search this and other forums? I try, but keep getting as message to the affect I don't have proper access. I'm a registered member. What gives?

redjr...

The search function is not "turned on"....I think because of bandwidth issues on the server.
Old 05-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Another thought, if the dealer says its your ECU, take your car to another dealer. There was a thread here recently when someone had the same problem as you, dealer said car needed new ECU, (big dollars) when actuallly it was the immoblizer. Believe Nissan issued a TSB on this problem. Common to the 99 Maxima's.

i went through this no-start condition about 1 1/2 years ago. Dealer has no explanation as to why it happens.
Thanks for the info. If it is the immoblizer, does the starter try and crank the engine? Or, is it totally silent - with maybe a click sound only? I would have thought that a theft prevention strategy would be to disable the key from the rest of the car electronically - thus not giving the driver the wrong impression that there might be something else wrong with the car. Like out of gas, or a bad starter, etc. I suppose Nissan's approach at least lets you know the battery's not dead! But if I keep trying it, it will be.

BTW, my keys look very normal. No evidence of a micro-chip like the GM cars. Is that correct? Do the keys look vastly different with the NVIS, or are they that stealthy? IOW, how can I be sure it's the immoblizer?

Thanks,
redjr..
Old 05-23-2004, 08:44 PM

All 99's got the security chip keys. added protection.
The easiest way to find out if its the key is turn the ignition to ON and check to see if the security light switches off. If it doesn't then the key is bad. If the light turns off then i'd say you will need to extend yourself to some unknown expensive dealership help.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by a_prince1
All 99's got the security chip keys. added protection.
The easiest way to find out if its the key is turn the ignition to ON and check to see if the security light switches off. If it doesn't then the key is bad. If the light turns off then i'd say you will need to extend yourself to some unknown expensive dealership help.
Thanks for the follow-up. At this point I'm really confused - thinking I might have really been dupped when I bought the car 5 years ago. I'm not even sure it's a 99! What can I check to be certain? According to the Nissan service manager at my local dealer (whom I just spoke to) the NVIS key is noticeable by a visible chip up by the key handle. My keys do not show this chip. But, the security indicator light DOES stay lite when the key is in the ON position. So you can see why I'm understandably concerned.

Anyway, it will be towed to the dealership today. What choice do I have? I'll be out of town on business the rest of the week, but my wife will be relaying messages as to what they find. I don't even want to think about the cost! I loved my 89 Maxima. I never had any of these problems. Now I just wish I had it back.

Regards,
redjr...
Old 05-24-2004, 05:05 AM

Here is a question do you have a square key at the top?? or its a roundish oval key?? If its square then you have the key imobolizer system. If you had tried another key after a couple try's with this possible bad one you would be ok. But I think the number is five times witha bad key that the computer changes the code and rejects the current key. So you have to take it to nissan towed of course...and have the good key reprogrammed. Kinda sucks but not much you can do about it.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:08 AM

i am sure it is the immobilizer. mine did the same thing about 6 months ago. cranks strong but no fire. had it towed in to the dealer. they reprogrammed the key and made a new copy as well for $50 total.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:10 AM

If the immobilzer been trigger, the car will still turn over and try to start. I believe the immoblizer turns off the fuel pump.