4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C problems, who is smart on this?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 02:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A/C problems, who is smart on this?

OK so I am trying to pinpoint what is wrong with my AC. The climate control unit works fine on all settings. I bought a refrigerant kit for my car and the meter said me refrigerant levels were good. B4 my ac stopped working my rpms would rise and i would hear a relay click in the engine somewhere. does anyone know of any other pin-pointing steps i should take to find out the problem with me AC system. blower motor is good. also, what does a compressor and condensor do? also, what do they look like and where are they in the engine.. anyone know thank.s
Old 05-24-2004, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 88MaximaSE
OK so I am trying to pinpoint what is wrong with my AC. The climate control unit works fine on all settings. I bought a refrigerant kit for my car and the meter said me refrigerant levels were good. B4 my ac stopped working my rpms would rise and i would hear a relay click in the engine somewhere. does anyone know of any other pin-pointing steps i should take to find out the problem with me AC system. blower motor is good. also, what does a compressor and condensor do? also, what do they look like and where are they in the engine.. anyone know thank.s
You need to get your Max to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis- there are many possibilities and it's anyone's guess what your actual problem is.

Pray that you don't need a new compressor. Compressor replacement done right is very expensive, and considering the age of your ride ('88, right?) you might be faced with a cost-prohibitive repair. If the guts of your compressor have come apart and dispersed into the rest of the system including the condensor, you might faint when you hear how much it costs to fix it all.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by David N.
You need to get your Max to a mechanic for a proper diagnosis- there are many possibilities and it's anyone's guess what your actual problem is.

Pray that you don't need a new compressor. Compressor replacement done right is very expensive, and considering the age of your ride ('88, right?) you might be faced with a cost-prohibitive repair. If the guts of your compressor have come apart and dispersed into the rest of the system including the condensor, you might faint when you hear how much it costs to fix it all.

thanks for the advise but i refuse to take my car to damn ahole mechanics. my car is a 95 stated to the left of this post much like everyone else on the org. just wondering if anyone here has EXPERIENCE in the AC repair dept. Many things are repairable for the average person with brains and the Junk yrards are crawling with 4th gen maximas these days. I replace my alti for 40 bucks and both my axles for under 100. So, unless i need a damn giant computer to fix something like ac i think i could get the shizzle done. thanks.