4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installing Indiglo Gauges please help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 04:55 PM

installing Indiglo Gauges please help...

I can't figure out how to conect the wires to the headlights???

I got everything on, and got two wires, where do i conect it? (it came with instractions, but only says that it needs to be conected to the headlights???)

I am at my friends house right now, and trying to figure this thing out please help...

(ebay Indiglo Gauges)

Thanks
Old 05-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Still kickin'

you don't need to tap into your head lights...just tap the power wire into the power from the dimmer switch for your interior lights...it comes on when your lights do. and for the ground look on the back of the cluster there's a screw that says GND (ground), loosen the screw and tap it in from there. that should be it....good luck
Old 05-26-2004, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
you don't need to tap into your head lights...just tap the power wire into the power from the dimmer switch for your interior lights...it comes on when your lights do. and for the ground look on the back of the cluster there's a screw that says GND (ground), loosen the screw and tap it in from there. that should be it....good luck
The power wire we are supposed to tap into is a wire that runs to the dimmer switch right?
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 PM
What's next!?..

Yes, splice the power wire into the wire goign into the dimmer switch.

If I remember correctly, (Did mine a year ago..) it's the blue wire with a pink tracer.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think on mine was a red wire, not sure either, but it's only two wires that go to the dimmer switch so...
Old 05-27-2004, 05:33 AM

Thanks to all the replies! It took me and my friend 6 hours to do it, but we did it! Looks great!

(The Gauges from ebay don't fit properly, that's why it took so long...)
Old 05-27-2004, 11:30 AM

I don't know who said this was easy. Definitely a pain in the *** mod. But looks good. Added the rings from the custommaxima gd, and the max is looking really tough right now.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:13 PM
What's next!?..

Probably took me about the same amount of time when I first installed them. I just took my time and made sure everything worked right.

I took the cluster off and brought it in to my room and just installed everything while relaxing watching tv.

Eventually I had to pull the cluster out a few times before everything was just right.

If I had to pull the cluster out now, it would probably take me 5 minutes at most.

I used gunmetal rings for my gauges. Definitely completes the look.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:03 PM

I split my ashtray light because it only supplies power when the headlights are on, but the cigarrette lighter wires work well. any 12v power connection is what they want you to use. those instructions suck so bad. Took me the same amount of time because the gauges lift up a little bit and the needles get stuck so i used double sided tape to secure them.

Gauge rings definately make the look but i also added a cf gauge bezel. Good to hear you got it all fixed tho.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey im having the same problem on a 98 maxima i orded REVERSE EL GLOW GAUGES . somehow on my rpm gauge the needle will not flow properly what should i do to correct this.

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
Old 05-28-2004, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

and the needle will go up in sequences instead of going smoothly
Old 05-28-2004, 09:03 AM

^^I was having the same problem and I just fixed it. Remove the cluster, and use double sided scotch tape right around the rim of the needle. You can barely notice it, but my euro glow gauge was a little raised right around the black dial of the gauge, causing it to get stuck. It would go up abrutly after I've accelarated for a while, and then it would not drop to 0 completely.

Just lift the glow gauges up a little, and try to insert some double sided tape right in the middle, and around the gauge rim.

I'll tell you. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO START A BETTER WRITEUP FOR THIS MOD!!

The vpower instructions are ancient. I'll probably have one up by sunday. hope all goes well.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

ok im a lil new to this excuse me. so i need to do is put some tape underneath the needle dial so that it wont rub against my indiglo causing it to rub. also i move my gas needle a lil bit how do i make it reset itself to the right level. cause my gas light is on but the needle always point is not even on e

Originally Posted by NachoNYC
^^I was having the same problem and I just fixed it. Remove the cluster, and use double sided scotch tape right around the rim of the needle. You can barely notice it, but my euro glow gauge was a little raised right around the black dial of the gauge, causing it to get stuck. It would go up abrutly after I've accelarated for a while, and then it would not drop to 0 completely.

Just lift the glow gauges up a little, and try to insert some double sided tape right in the middle, and around the gauge rim.

I'll tell you. SOMEBODY NEEDS TO START A BETTER WRITEUP FOR THIS MOD!!

The vpower instructions are ancient. I'll probably have one up by sunday. hope all goes well.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:43 AM
What's next!?..

What you need to do is make sure the new gauge faces do not move up once you put the cluster back in the car.

This is what is causing the needles to get stuck.

There are a few ways of doing this:
1. Use really thin double sided tape under the new gauge faces around the inner and outer rims.
2. Use crazy glue under the new gauge faces around the inner and outer rims. (very permanent)
3. If your original faces have screws in the middle to hold them down, you can make a paper template and drill some holes in the new gauge faces.
NOTE: This is assuming..
a. The new faces have no screw holes.
b. You have no metal tracers running through the back of the new gauge faces where you need to drill.

I used a combination of 2 and 3 for mine.