4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cant get my hub nut to break

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 12:38 PM

Cant get my hub nut to break

Im changing my rotor and my hub nut will not budge.... any suggestions. I have a breaker bar with a pipe attached to a 36 mm socket, with PB blaster on it... and nothing

thanks
Old 05-28-2004, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Oblongshapes
Im changing my rotor and my hub nut will not budge.... any suggestions. I have a breaker bar with a pipe attached to a 36 mm socket, with PB blaster on it... and nothing

thanks
Maybe I'm missing something here. If you are trying to change your rotors (assuming they are disk) all you need to do is take off the caliper and pull the rotor off. Mine was a bit rusted but a few bangs with a small sledge hammer (I rotated the rotor so I hit all around) and it popped off. Hit it from the backside. The hub doesn't come off with the rotor, it slides over it, if you look at your new rotor you'll see.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:02 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

yopu do not need to remove the axle nut. As mentioned above to get the rotor off just remove the caliper, more specificaly the torque member. This is held on by (2) 19mm bolts. Its also a good idea to remove the (2) 17mm bolts that hold the caliper to the torque member first. Also compress the piston in the caliper with a C clamp. The rotor will need some help comming off. Use a mallet an hit the rotor as said above.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
yopu do not need to remove the axle nut. As mentioned above to get the rotor off just remove the caliper, more specificaly the torque member. This is held on by (2) 19mm bolts. Its also a good idea to remove the (2) 17mm bolts that hold the caliper to the torque member first. Also compress the piston in the caliper with a C clamp. The rotor will need some help comming off. Use a mallet an hit the rotor as said above.
Detail, details just had to one-up me huh? lol J/K Yeah I probably should have been more specific. My rotor took some good hits to come off and they were only on for a yr or so. It may not seem like its doing anything then all of the sudden 'pop!'.