4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

would resetting the ECU change exhaust sound??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 08:44 PM

would resetting the ECU change exhaust sound??

ok i got a "performance" muffler welded on the 25th and like every muffler it started out very quiet almost stock and as i drove got louder and more bassy but not raspy at all but my question is this i know it takes a bit to break in a muffler to its full potential sound quality but would resetting the ECU change the way it sounds at all? cause if im not mistaken if i do reset it the ecu relearns intake and fuel maps or somthing which would detect less backpressure and do what its gotta go accordingly so in turn wouldnt that make a differnt possiably louder exhaust note? also if ya cant count ive had the muffler on for 4 days total and drove 250 miles so far with it, but its deff louder than when i first got it put on thats for sure.also im not asking this question to get flamed on for "welding" a muffler on and being a ricer or somthing like that its not cause thats what i wanted its just all i can afford from now on im on a tight budget cause i just moved out and my wifey id prego so i cant really spend money so all i did was get a "performance" 4" muffler welded on at my local muffler shop, so i guess if you must then flame but its just immature i can do w/e i want my my car cause its mine all i wanna know is the answer to my question not "why would you put a ricer fart can on your car?"and "why not at least cat-back?" thanks for any help anyone can give me
Old 05-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Performance muffler? I laugh every time I read that. Resetting the ECU won't change the tone unless you reset the wrong way. If you don't completely turn the screw back all the way the rpms will be lower and the exhaust note will be somewhat different. The tone will change over time as the crap from the inside burns out. Most caT-back and probably mufflers get quieter I believe, not louder after they "break in".
Old 05-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Still kickin'

i know my muffler has gotten louder as it's broke in. it used to be pretty quiet with a small little rumble after the car warmed up a bit. now it's louder even on cold starts than it was when the car was warmed up about a month or 2 ago. Also, now i get this cool little popping sound as i decellerate...sounds like the new srt-4 neons with the mopar exhaust...only deeper with less .

now as far as reseeting the ecu to chenge the tone . that won't change the sound...just let it break in, then the sound will change on its own. don't sweat the muffler thing...i feel your pain, lol. i got mine for a steal off ebay already prefabbed for a max. may look a little on the rice side, but i get so many looks from it (especially now since the popping started, lol).
Old 05-28-2004, 09:52 PM
V^___^V

it's just ur imagination
Old 05-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Still kickin'

i doubt that...i know what i can hear, and what others can hear. my exhaust has gotten louder and deeper. my buddy at work said the car sounds like i changed the muffler since when i first got it. keep in mind they don't hear it every day, just about once a week. all this is assuming you're talking to me...otherwise, um...oops
Old 05-29-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mad-MAX_SE
i doubt that...i know what i can hear, and what others can hear. my exhaust has gotten louder and deeper. my buddy at work said the car sounds like i changed the muffler since when i first got it. keep in mind they don't hear it every day, just about once a week. all this is assuming you're talking to me...otherwise, um...oops
to back up what madmax is sayin the exhaust sound does change with time ALOT and heres a vid to prove it http://www.videodesk.net/show.aspx?u...mv&send_link=1 watch that and see its my friends 00 eclipse V6 with a catback ractive 4" muffler and his used to be deep as h*ll right away then got high pitched and raspy with bass to it though so theres proof mufflers can change alot watch and listen for yourself theres only about two months or less of use on the muffler at the end as it states in vid
Old 05-29-2004, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
also im not asking this question to get flamed on for "welding" a muffler on and being a ricer or somthing like that its not cause thats what i wanted its just all i can afford from now on im on a tight budget cause i just moved out and my wifey id prego so i cant really spend money so all i did was get a "performance" 4" muffler welded on at my local muffler shop, so i guess if you must then flame but its just immature i can do w/e i want my my car cause its mine all i wanna know is the answer to my question not "why would you put a ricer fart can on your car?"and "why not at least cat-back?" thanks for any help anyone can give me
Talk about a run on sentence...how about a period every once in a while.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by my99maxisnice
Talk about a run on sentence...how about a period every once in a while.
maybe i shouldnt have to put those "runon" sentances in there if people like you didnt exsist that critizize everything according to the standards of modifying cars also i didnt know we had an english teacher on the forums nice to meet you, woops i didnt use any periods yet is that a problem? obviously you just look at posts to criticize them thats all...any comments on what my post is actually asking? or just there to say your better than me?
Old 05-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Hooooooonda.....

It just shows what a nimrod you are.
Old 05-30-2004, 04:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Resetting the ECU in our cars only clears stored error codes, it does not in any way change stored operating parameters of your engine.

That fact of information can be found in the Nissan service manual and the Haynes service manual. (section 6-5)
Old 05-30-2004, 07:33 AM
LIMaxin

Im getting a kick out of reading this thread lol.

Old 05-31-2004, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
maybe i shouldnt have to put those "runon" sentances in there if people like you didnt exsist that critizize everything according to the standards of modifying cars also i didnt know we had an english teacher on the forums nice to meet you, woops i didnt use any periods yet is that a problem? obviously you just look at posts to criticize them thats all...any comments on what my post is actually asking? or just there to say your better than me?
I sincerely apologize for anything offensive I said. Who am I to point out mistakes? I am just mere boy trying to show my power on an internet forum...I just needed a reality check, and for that, thank you.