4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

E brake cable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 06:31 PM

E brake cable?

Well, as I had my mechanic put new pads put on the rear and the calipers replaced, the dreaded groan that i posted about a few weeks ago remains. BUT i did finaly find out that the cause of this groaning is due to the emergencey brake cable being bad. No amount of adjustment can fix it. It does not release all the way. This is what my mechanic says, as well as the dealer. My car is at the dealer as I type awaiting an axle, but this e brake situation is bad and must be fixed. I put the rear pads on, and right after drove my car to the dealer (20 min), by the time my car got to the dealer and I got out of the car, you could smell the brakes, in fact my rotor was turning BLUE! I guess due to the new pads being thicker, the problem with the ebrake is amplified? Teh dealer wants almost 500 bucks plus tax to replace the ebrake cable! This is the only solution. WTF! What SHOULD a job like this cost? Unfortunately this wjob is not covered under warranty. I need help guys! I cant ride my car around like this othewise I will mess up the new brakes I just installed an hour before dropping it off at the dealer. It must get fixed ASAP. Is this supposed to be so damn expensive
Old 05-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Do I get a tax break?

If you are reasonably handy and patient, the E-brake cable is a replacement you can attempt yourself... I replaced both of mine recently because the experts at the local tire shop bent the mount bracket of one cable while lifting the car to rebalance/rotate tires... the side effect was the sheathing ripped - one winter, lots of road salt and snow later, my cable started binding...

I ordered the parts online from courtesyparts.com...

You have a TEMPORARY option to get your car back on the road:

Disconnect the parking brake cable on the side it is binding... your emergency brake will become inoperative... so this should be considered a TEMPORARY option only.

The trickiest part of replacement is you have to work directly underneath the car - all the way from under the parking brake, to the wheel the cable is being replaced to. Since you live in NY, you can trust me when I say that your exhaust heat shields will be a pain in the *** to remove - without shearing the bolts ... once you have the exhaust heat shields off, its just a couple of mounting bolts/brackets that secure the cable assembly to the underbody...

Is the 500 dollar estimate for both parking brake cables or just one? it seems high for a single cable.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:28 AM

Ya know- i dont even know if thats for one cable. After I heard the price i told them tnot to do it, and that I would pick up my car when the other repair was through. I am also awaiting a call from Nissan of North America as they are assisting me with this matter, being that the groaning was there when I first bought the car. During the honeymon period I brought it back to them to bring the noise to their atention and they did SOMETHING to it and the noise went away for about a year.Now that the weather is getting hotter and more humid, you can expect that it has returned. So i am trying to get it covered. BTW How much did the parts cost you (both cables) from Courtesy? Ya know something else? These bastards also want to cahrge me 125 dollars to replace the passenger heated seat switch! ON top of that, they want to charge me an 85 dollar diagnostic fee! How the h ell are they gonna charge me 85 dollars to diagnose something when i was the one who told THEM what the problem was. Oh and lets not forget how they never let the customer how everything is "plus tax" Right now I am outa state visitng family, (hitched A ride in my uncles 5th gen) and I am waiting to return to Brooklyn to let them have it when they call me to come get my car.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:08 PM

check www.rockauto.com they sell each side for $50 but not the middle section (its a 3 piece cable)
Old 05-30-2004, 02:37 PM

Haha man, I had the same problem. My rear left brake cable was smashed and it would keep the brake locked. Its actually something you can do yourself if you have the patience. The cable itself.. depending if its the left or right, runs about $60 at the dealer. The hardest part is just finding the latch under the car where the emergency brake is. Other than that, just run it all the way back to the rear caliper. Its even easier on a lift. If you need someone to install it for you, PM me. I have a friend whos a mechanic and has a shop here in Brooklyn.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I replaced all three pieces -but in retrospect, only the two legs (one to each rear wheel) would get damaged.. the third piece - which connects from the parking brake to the equalizer (where the other two cables attach) is well protected and its unlikely that it needs replacement...

Like the others have stated, parts from a dealer (wholesale parts e.g. courtesy parts) would be 60-70 bucks per cable... I don't remember how much the 3rd cable was - It wasn't as much - maybe 30 bucks...