4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

i need a new clutch and i need your help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 12:08 PM
brotherhood of tq

i need a new clutch and i need your help.

i need a new clutch and i never bought one before so i need some insight. i have mostly bolt ons and i dont see me being able to go boost this summer like i planned so that isnt a concern.
few things i learned so far....
1) stay away from a key value clutch that nissan now sells. but how would i go about buyng a regular clutch from them.. or better yet wat is the part numbers that i would ask for?
2)i dont really care about the effort to press the clutch pedal i just want one that would last me a while.

i saw this clutch online this morning and wat you think about it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...480419060&rd=1

thanks for any imput on this..(i need this new clutch before they finishe working on my tranny)

please respond or im me on aim

will
Old 06-04-2004, 01:25 PM

i would say buy that clutch off of ebay. its the exact one that i bought and he is a good seller. i think that the clutch holds great for $110, and supposedly its better than the oem, feels the same though. the only big difference between oem and that exedy is that the exedy is a 4 spring clutch as the oem is a 6 spring. all this really means is that the exedy is goin to catch faster, and the pedal is almost feather light. you can look on my cardomain for the install, it was pretty easy i thought. if you need anything else just let me know
Old 06-04-2004, 03:08 PM
brotherhood of tq

i just bought the clutch of off ebay and if u say u like it them in gonna go wit it.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:10 PM

good call dude, you wont regret it. you goin to do the clutch yourself?? if you are more power to ya, and if you need and tips, ill be more than happy to help you out.
btw. the clutch should get to you in like 6-9 business days. not too bad
Old 06-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Hooooooonda.....

That's not the EXEDY stage 1 is it? That one is just a "stock replacement". The stage 1 looked a bit different.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:15 PM

yea, its just a stock replacement, and its supposed to be a little better than stock, but i cant tell any difference, just this one is A LOT lighter at the pedal
Old 06-04-2004, 03:18 PM
brotherhood of tq

nah the auto shop thats fixin my tranny already has the tranny in parts and he said that putting in a new clutch wont have any other charge so im gonna let him do it. and thanks for the tip and 6- busness days???? i hope my tranny guy would wait that long.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:21 PM

yea, if you just ordered it now, he's not even goin to see until monday probaly that you bought it, you'll be very lucky if he sees it today that you bought it. but worst case, if he doesnt see it til monday, it probaly wont get shipped out til tues-weds., then its up to fedex ground from there.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:29 PM
brotherhood of tq

iwell its still early in cali so he may even send it 2day and it would get shipped out over the weekend. but thats just wishful thinking.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do NOT forget to get the flywheel resurfaced. That's a must.

We got that same clutch installed in my dad's '95 without resurfacing the flywheel and it started slipping in under 3 months. Just a heads-up.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:49 PM
brotherhood of tq

if things go good then i may even get a new lightened flywheel but if not im gonna make sure that i get the flywheel resurfaced.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:24 PM

I am in need of a clutch too. Has anyone have a bad experience with this clutch.

Thank

Mo
Old 06-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the exedy replacement too. I bought mine from Ebay vendor iclutches and got it in 4 days or so. The clutch feels like the OEM clutch. Had to adjust the pedal to make take up closer to the floor but otherwise the clutch has been nothing but a joy to operate. You can feather the clutch for really smooth operation and when you mash on it, it holds up. You can't beat the price! The only question mark is the longevity.

BTW, I didn't resurface the flywheel--it didn't look bad at all. I would stress the importance of the 500 mile break-in period though.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:05 PM
Old Maxima Legend

liqidvenom, hope it works out for you man... im still trying to decide on which clutch i wanna try ..
Old 06-04-2004, 07:58 PM

I got this clutch too a month ago. Just like stock, only pedal is much lighter. Hope it's gonna last. I fof not resurface my flywheel, did it myself in the garage.
Old 06-05-2004, 05:58 AM

Maybe i should've been a little more specific. If you're replacing a clutch while it is still in good working condition there is most likely no flywheel damage. But if you let a clutch wear out completely, often times the rivets on the clutch disk will scratch the flywheel and/or pressure plate.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:11 AM

I am probably going to go with this clutch too... just as soon as i can find someone that will put it in for a decent price
Old 06-05-2004, 08:18 AM

Yea, clutchcityonline.com had good deals on clutches. I was about to get the Exedy but my uncle who owns a shop got me another clutch for 100 bucks shipped. I'm pretty sure its not the Exedy. However, my clutch right now is SOOO DAMN hard, like my left calf is the size of my thigh...
Regardless of which clutch he has ordered for me....will the pedal still be extremely light and "feather soft" even if it isn't the Exedy one?
Old 06-05-2004, 08:24 AM
brotherhood of tq

hey thanks ceaser, i just needed a clutch asap so it can be installed for free while my tranny is on the ground. i hope it last and im just getting a good deal and not one of those you get wat u pay for type of things... but i still need to find a flywheel. ohh and my clutch was working just fine but i think after 100,000 miles i figure i just replace it if i have the chance.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:48 AM

i need some help here: i have 75k miles on the car and when i press the pedal it makes sqeaking hoise (when the car is warmed up), the machanic said it's the pressure plate and the best thing to do is replace the whole clutch....resulting in 6 hour labor and $300. does this sound right?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 09:11 AM

WOW, that is is a pretty good deal. I'm getting a new clutch put in Tues. and the mechanic told me it was going to be 6.9 hr for labor resutling in a price of $400
So, yea, your getting a good deal.

WILL SOME ONE PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION THAT I POSTED ABOVE.
THanks
Old 06-05-2004, 09:22 AM

if i do need a new clutch what are the part numbers for oem, since they don't come in kits? so far i have this:
OEM parts: 30100-40U14 (Clutch Disc), 30210-40U06 (Pressure Plate), and 30502-41U20 (Clutch Release or “Throw Out” Bearing);
Old 06-05-2004, 10:09 AM

Hey guys, how come on the ad it shows a 4 spring disc in the go to larger pic box, but after you click on that in the muliple shots above in the item description breakdown it shows a 6 spring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33730

Yet on this ad for clutchcity online for only $14 extra they show an exedy 6 spring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33730

As far as the pressure plate being turned or not if it's not warped or heat scared then it's okay not to turn it.
I think the lighter pedal feel is reflected in only having 4 springs but I'm not sure on that one.

Personally I'd spend the extra $$. Just something I noticed.
Great price on both either way.Good luck and thread back to let us know how it is once installed.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Kolyan
i need some help here: i have 75k miles on the car and when i press the pedal it makes sqeaking hoise (when the car is warmed up), the machanic said it's the pressure plate and the best thing to do is replace the whole clutch....resulting in 6 hour labor and $300. does this sound right?

Thanks
Get a second opinion. ASAP!!

And a new mechanic altogether wouldn't hurt either.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
Get a second opinion. ASAP!!

And a new mechanic altogether wouldn't hurt either.

yeah, i'll defenalty get a second opinion.....but i think mechanic is good. today he changed oil and installed new knock sensor for ONLY $20 !
Old 06-05-2004, 12:20 PM

if i do need a new clutch what are the part numbers for oem, since they don't come in kits? so far i have this:
OEM parts: 30100-40U14 (Clutch Disc), 30210-40U06 (Pressure Plate), and 30502-41U20 (Clutch Release or “Throw Out” Bearing);

i got it. btw it's only $178 for OEM
Old 06-05-2004, 12:22 PM

yeah, i'll defenalty get a second opinion.....but i think mechanic is good. today he changed oil and installed new knock sensor for ONLY $20 !
From what you say I think you've got a good mechanic there, a second opinion for peace of mind is always best, but $20 to intall the knock is cheap, at least he was honest enough and didn't tell you he needed to remove the manifold to change the knock, that's a good sign! Good luck
Old 06-05-2004, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by MAXRB8
From what you say I think you've got a good mechanic there, a second opinion for peace of mind is always best, but $20 to intall the knock is cheap, at least he was honest enough and didn't tell you he needed to remove the manifold to change the knock, that's a good sign! Good luck
He attributed a squeaky clutch pedal to a faulty pressure plate.

FYI, the pressure plate is often times the LAST clutch component that needs to be replaced.

*EDIT* Kolyan which pedal do you press when you get the squeek? If it's the gas pedal, this could be funnier than i thought.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:01 PM
brotherhood of tq

i think that we need a forum or a sticky that has all the opinions that we have about certain types of clutches. i really dont kno anyone around me that has any real knowledge about clutches and im just buying this clutch cause i thinkits good.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
He attributed a squeaky clutch pedal to a faulty pressure plate.

FYI, the pressure plate is often times the LAST clutch component that needs to be replaced.

*EDIT* Kolyan which pedal do you press when you get the squeek? If it's the gas pedal, this could be funnier than i thought.

when the car is warmed up and when i engage the clutch it sqeaks at the very end going up and down. my friend with gs-r said that he had the same thing, and it took several months for the clutch to completly wear out.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:20 PM

hey people

i recently got my clutch replaced......first my throw out bearing went out...then the clutch slave cylinder then the clutch....anyways......i checked online and i found this website

www.eclutchmaster.com

theyre located here in Los Angeles
mid-wilshire area

they sell the clutch kit...... comes with
Exedy Disk
Exedy Pressure plate
Adjustment tool
and throw out bearing

the kit was 125 bucks

the installation......LOOOK AROUND....i got mine installed for 200 bucks....which wasnt too bad.....but some guy wanted 500....check out transmission shops.....most will do it for a low price....if u dont have the right stuff...dont do it urself.....its not easy

anyways....the website has their info if u want to contact them.....they will get u ur clutch or if they dont have it i think they can find a way to get one to you,.....by the way...the exedy clutch is actually what came with the maxima.....but comes under the main company name....Daiken i believe it is.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:26 PM
brotherhood of tq

thatks for the info.. ho does your clutch feel when u drive it? any pro's or cons?
Old 06-05-2004, 09:29 PM

On my last car i installed an ACT clutch and i liked it. The only thing that sucked was the fact that the pedal was much stiffer then stock. Under normal driving conditions i really like that but not in really bad traffic. Im thinking about installing one on the Max but im not sure yet. I only need something for bolt-ons... no blower. How much do you think a flywheel and clutch would cost to install?
Old 06-10-2004, 04:27 PM

the second opinion was some bushing needed replacement for $30........

since this thread is about the cluch, i have another question:

i also have this noise (i am sure many people know this), it happens when i drop the clutch fast and accelarate, and everything seems normal excepr fot that noise......it happens to me quite often, do i disengage the clutch pedal too fast?????