4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Roof Racks

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Roof Racks

Does anyone have a roof rack on their 4th Gen?

I think I would like to get one, but I'm not sure of several things:

1) Which one: Yakima, Thule, Other?

2) How much $$ are we talking? These seem to be offered piece by peice, instead of whole kits. You really have to know exactly what you need, before you can have any idea what it's going to cost.

3) How practical is this going to be? I would like to carry bikes mostly. However, I am a homeower, but do not own a pick-up truck. Therefore, when I want to get certain things transported that won't fit in my car, I'm stuck. (we're not talking big, heavy things here---a lightweight aluminum extension ladded, disassembled swing set, the occasional 2X4s, etc...).

BTW I know what they look like, and I'm OK with that! My car is not some prissy, show car diva. It's a fun-to-drive, grocery gettin', family toting, daily driver. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Besides, I've actually seen some of these racks that I would say look good.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Luda has one.....check his cardomain page
Old 06-06-2004, 01:33 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I find his site? What, exactly, is his user name?
Old 06-06-2004, 06:52 AM
lefty

[QUOTE=Gibby]Does anyone have a roof rack on their 4th Gen?

I think I would like to get one, but I'm not sure of several things:

1) Which one: Yakima, Thule, Other?

GET A THULE. Most versitile and popular out there. I have it and love it

2) How much $$ are we talking? These seem to be offered piece by peice, instead of whole kits. You really have to know exactly what you need, before you can have any idea what it's going to cost.

It is offered piece by piece for a reason. If you lose one part or if you change cars, you only need to purchase what you need.

You will need to start with the basics. Get the load bars, then you will need to go to hte thule website for more details. Then you will need I think it is the 400 kit and then you buy the kit that fits the max. I used my thue rack on 4 cars and only $40 to get a kit to move it from car to car.

Make sure when you put the rubber feet onto the car that you have cleaned both surfaces well. If not, the small sand or dust will wear into the paint.

Then you look at accessories, Boxes, bike racks etc...the most verstile for me is are the carry boxes...camping skiing etc...I could not live without it. But the bike racks are awsome.

One last tip is to get the lock cylinders in like a pack of 8. You will need a minimum of 4 to lock the rack down on to the roof...but hen you only need one key for everything else as you have 4 left over to use.

3) How practical is this going to be? I would like to carry bikes mostly. However, I am a homeower, but do not own a pick-up truck. Therefore, when I want to get certain things transported that won't fit in my car, I'm stuck. (we're not talking big, heavy things here---a lightweight aluminum extension ladded, disassembled swing set, the occasional 2X4s, etc...).

It is very practical. I put mattresses on there, 2x4s all the time, ladders, etc..
there is a weight limit but you can use your brain.

I love it on my car and my car is not a show car also, but with two bike racks and a big box, it does get some attention with the right stickers.

Old 06-06-2004, 02:03 PM

Thanks very much for the response. Where did you get yours, and about how much money total? I think this will be something I'll do fairly soon. I will never own a pickup as my primary vehicle!