4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warning (longish)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 05:27 PM

If your water pump fails be careful.

Don't trust your car to just anyone. If it is not the Nissan place or a trusted mechanic run away as fast as you can.

My axle boot bursted, so I took it in to Firesone to replace the boot. I get there and the cost is so close between the boot and axle replacement, I replace the axle. They ask if that's all and I said well replace my belts but I stopped them and informed them not to replace the belts becuase I would wait until I replaced the water pump to get the labor free. They volunteer to replace my water pump $120 cheaper than Nissan quoted. So I said go for it, little did I know. To make a long story short, for the last month I been going back and forth to Firestone tryng to stop an prolific oil leak. The car was not leaking when it went in but it leaked from day one and still leaks after Firestone episode. 6 repair trips none worked. Now I am having problems with my oil light coming on constantly even when full of oil. I guess the oil pump is getting ready to go out. I am hopeful we can a amicable resolution.

Be careful who you let work on your MAX it is far from idiot proof.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:59 PM

Maybe the connector for the oil pressure sensor got disconnected or loose. Wher is the oil leak originating from?
Old 03-29-2001, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by EZEMaxima
Maybe the connector for the oil pressure sensor got disconnected or loose. Wher is the oil leak originating from?

That was the first guess but it turned out to be the main seal when we put dye in the engine.
Old 03-29-2001, 06:56 PM

Good Reputation..........NOT

Originally posted by gibsot
If your water pump fails be careful.

Don't trust your car to just anyone. If it is not the Nissan place or a trusted mechanic run away as fast as you can.

My axle boot bursted, so I took it in to Firesone to replace the boot. I get there and the cost is so close between the boot and axle replacement, I replace the axle. They ask if that's all and I said well replace my belts but I stopped them and informed them not to replace the belts becuase I would wait until I replaced the water pump to get the labor free. They volunteer to replace my water pump $120 cheaper than Nissan quoted. So I said go for it, little did I know. To make a long story short, for the last month I been going back and forth to Firestone tryng to stop an prolific oil leak. The car was not leaking when it went in but it leaked from day one and still leaks after Firestone episode. 6 repair trips none worked. Now I am having problems with my oil light coming on constantly even when full of oil. I guess the oil pump is getting ready to go out. I am hopeful we can a amicable resolution.

Be careful who you let work on your MAX it is far from idiot proof.
My friend had work done there and his sheet aint been right since. Didn,t even kiss him before they phaucked him. Crappy tires, bad mechanics..........MAN!!!!!
Old 03-29-2001, 09:00 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Good Reputation..........NOT

I would never go there for anything except tires.....maybe
Old 03-29-2001, 11:03 PM

Some of these shops suck...

...i agree. I HATE it when these auto shop franchises messes with the car. I brought my max to Pep Boys once for brake pads and they have been screwed up ever since... always squeaking with bran new pads even. If anyone else is interested in boycotting this company please DO NOT go there they use crappy pads anyways (madd brake dust). They even tried to charge me for a new set without changing them (assuming I was a regular moron off the street). I go to pick my car up and when I check the pads I see the same set on the calipers all thin as hell. In case anyone here doesn't know Pep Boys always uses RED pads so its plain to see when they stick the new ones in.
Old 03-30-2001, 06:47 AM

episode with firstone

Gibsot,
sorry to say that you are not the only one with a bad experience with them. Last fall (october) I went to firestone to get new tires for my max and I think I have regretted since. I know it doesn't really matter now but thinking back, they are a bunch of morons and they are very careless with your car.

When I bought 4 new tires they screwed up the balancing so i had to go back. But during the initial visit, they broke a stud off the front passenger side wheel. The return visit for a re-balance only got me another broken stud. They scratched 2 of the rims on my car...and I was so upset.
Of course I have vowed basically that I will never, ever purchase another item that is firestone...
crappy service...and I hate to say it, their quality of work reflects the type of company they are...despite all their marketing ploys to get cusotmers back...well, not me.

*sigh*
Old 03-30-2001, 08:51 AM

Where do you guys live?? I've taken my car to the same firestone in Chicago twice (for wheel mounting and balancing), and don't have any complaints. Well, maybe cuz I haven't had anything else done there.....
Old 03-30-2001, 11:02 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Um...I'm hoping you made them buy you new rims for scratching them........