4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

all motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 11:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

all motor?

what exactly is meant by "all motor"? i understand no turbo, or nos, but does that include bolt-ons?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i believe so / no forced induction
Old 06-10-2004, 11:51 AM

so having an intake, exhaust, udp
would i still be all motor?
Old 06-10-2004, 11:55 AM

Yes..........
Old 06-10-2004, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Guttermouf5150
so having an intake, exhaust, udp
would i still be all motor?
Technically, no. All motor in the race world means a race engine that has been built up with high compression pistons, cams, stroked or bored, upgraded valve springs, proper air/fuel and spark tuning, upgraded connecting rods and crank, etc. In other words, a race ready N/A motor.

Having just an intake, exhaust and UDP is just N/A (naturally aspirated).
Old 06-10-2004, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
Technically, no. All motor in the race world means a race engine that has been built up with high compression pistons, cams, stroked or bored, upgraded valve springs, proper air/fuel and spark tuning, upgraded connecting rods and crank, etc. In other words, a race ready N/A motor.

Having just an intake, exhaust and UDP is just N/A (naturally aspirated).

Thank you a man that knows what he is talking about. I don't like terms like that being misused. All motor is all motor and N/A is N/A and there is a huge difference.

Sort of like NOS and nitrous.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:46 PM

All motor is everything you'all said but I don't believe NOS is considered to be a part of the NA world. Although it is not forced induction, NOS is not considered to be an "all motor" attribute. don't they now sell/offer race engines for the maxima? I hope so. I'm waiting patiently for the engine to die on my Max but Nissan makes them too damned well. Not complaing 'bout that though....
Old 06-10-2004, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Linkage23
All motor is everything you'all said but I don't believe NOS is considered to be a part of the NA world. Although it is not forced induction, NOS is not considered to be an "all motor" attribute. don't they now sell/offer race engines for the maxima? I hope so. I'm waiting patiently for the engine to die on my Max but Nissan makes them too damned well. Not complaing 'bout that though....
I wasn't trying to suggest that NOS or nitrous had anything to do with "all motor". Just that folks keep misusing the term "NOS" for all nitrous systems like they misuse "all motor" when its really N/A.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:23 PM

so you are saying that unless i have upgraded internal engine parts, i can't really say that my max is "all motor"?

i'm not so sure if i agree with that. i see what you are saying about the upgraded rods, crank, etc., but i still think it would be all motor even without those things.

when they talk about the fastest all motor maxima, does he have all those internal parts?

in my opinion, anything that is naturally aspirated and without Nos , or Nitrous; whichever you prefer, should be considered all motor.
Old 06-10-2004, 03:38 PM

The problem is it's not what YOU think, it's what it is.

All-motor is a widely misused term like "intercooler" and "NOS" as Jime previously stated.

There are no all-motor Maximas that i know of.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:19 PM

The problem is it's not what YOU think, it's what it is.

All-motor is a widely misused term like "intercooler" and "NOS" as Jime previously stated.

There are no all-motor Maximas that i know of.

aahhhh now i see, so this is an absolute fact, written down in a textbook somewhere. and if i think differently, i am wrong.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:12 PM

WOW.

Yes this is a fact. All-motor means a built race engine without forced induction.

Besides, what was the point of this thread if you didn't wanna hear our answers?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:18 PM

Wrong

All motor means no forced induction. They talked about it on one of those car shows on spike tv. Said n/a and all motor are the same thing.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:33 PM

all motor just means it "all motor", not all motor and a little bit of nitrous, or all motor and a turbo/supercharger. since when does "all motor" mean you have to have a HC engine fully built and race ready? that makes no sense. a stock maxima would be considered all motor, because it has no turbo/super/nitrous. all motor just means it has no "artificial" power adder.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:38 PM

^^The term for what you're describing is N/A (naturally aspirated). That doesn't necessarily make it all motor. All motor is a race term so you have to use it in a race context. I.E. fully built without any external power adders.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:36 PM

WOW.

Yes this is a fact. All-motor means a built race engine without forced induction.

Besides, what was the point of this thread if you didn't wanna hear our answers?

i never said i didn't want to hear your answers, i just don't appreciate you belittling what i think. i just happen to have my own opinion, whether you think it is wrong or not. or whether you think it goes against what you consider absolute fact or not.

excuse the hell out of me for thinking something different.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:37 PM

and apparently it seems a couple of other people happen to agree with me.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:38 PM

^^The term for what you're describing is N/A (naturally aspirated). That doesn't necessarily make it all motor. All motor is a race term so you have to use it in a race context. I.E. fully built without any external power adders.

well for being strictly a race term it sure is used alot here on the org
Old 06-10-2004, 10:44 PM

to me, being "all motor" means only having modifications that would be considered "passive".like,say, a y-pipe, which simply allows the engine to breathe better.

as opposed to an "active" modification, like a turbo or supercharger, which actually does something.

the passive one simply allows the engine to operate more efficiently, while the active one forces it to by some sort of action.

or something...
Old 06-10-2004, 11:43 PM

Generally speaking the term is loosely used to signify the absence of power adders (ie. S/C, turbo, NO2) the same as naturally aspirated (N/A). I guess in the strictest since it would be considered a fully prepped race motor of the N/A variety. In most cases I believe peop;e use N/A and all motor to mean the same thing. Now can we stop bickering about something so insignificant.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Guttermouf5150
i never said i didn't want to hear your answers, i just don't appreciate you belittling what i think. i just happen to have my own opinion, whether you think it is wrong or not. or whether you think it goes against what you consider absolute fact or not.

excuse the hell out of me for thinking something different.
This has nothing to do with opinion. If you don't know, you don't know. I just happen to know better.

and apparently it seems a couple of other people happen to agree with me.
They're wrong too...

to me, being "all motor" means only having modifications that would be considered "passive".like,say, a y-pipe, which simply allows the engine to breathe better.

as opposed to an "active" modification, like a turbo or supercharger, which actually does something.

the passive one simply allows the engine to operate more efficiently, while the active one forces it to by some sort of action.

or something...
That's what you think, so that's cool. That doesn't stop it from being wrong.

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
Generally speaking the term is loosely used to signify the absence of power adders (ie. S/C, turbo, NO2) the same as naturally aspirated (N/A). I guess in the strictest since it would be considered a fully prepped race motor of the N/A variety. In most cases I believe peop;e use N/A and all motor to mean the same thing. Now can we stop bickering about something so insignificant.
Done...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
aka UNCDooD

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX

woah man. your car looks really nice! I like what you've done with it.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Hooooooonda.....

Unless you're running VERY FAST TIMES you shouldn't calling the car all-motor. If you say you're all motor and run 15s, everyone will laugh at your ***. Also keep in mind that when a car is all motor it is usually a pain to drive in traffic or around the city. The cars are built in such way that the power is mostly in the HIGH rpm range and the down low torque isn't really a concern to most of them.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:06 AM
SLOW

I don't think these terms are defined in 'Webster's Dictionary of Car Terms' but most people describe all motor vs n/a the way that's been described above. Anyone can say anything they want, but if you are using terms in a way other than how others use them, you might end up confusing people. You might tell someone your car is all motor and they might say "oh what do you have done to it" expecting you to say it's got modified internals, cams, heads, etc, and instead you reply "uh it's got an intake."

I like to avoid this confusion by using the generally accepted terms. I go one step further by describing my car as one with n/a bolt ons.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by UNCDooD
woah man. your car looks really nice! I like what you've done with it.
Thanks I appreciate the compliment.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Old Maxima Legend

my redneck theory bites me in the a$$ again, at least I know now , lol ! and can stop saying im all motor, at the track, when people ask if I have some type of FI. the sad thing is no one around here would even known.