4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cattman headers, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 03:01 PM

Cattman headers worth it?

It is my understanding that the Cattman headers give around am 8-10 HP gain over just a Y-pipe alone. A Budget Y-pipe costs about $200; the Cattman headers cost $800, so that’s a $600 price difference for a gain of about 10 HP. What do you guys think, worth it? Also since I have not been visiting these forums for a while, what ever happened to the Stone Racing short headers? Does anyone own or have positive feedback on these? And did Nashua_Night_Ha ever get those Dyno’s? And if he did what where the results? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:23 PM

From what I've read around here, they aren't worth it unless you're running some type of forced induction.

Really, for $800 you could get a nitrous kit and still have enough dough left over for an upgraded fuel pump and dinner at McDonald's
Old 06-13-2004, 03:26 PM
Old Maxima Legend

the cattman headers are worth every single cent, and its more than just hp. its like driving a completely different car.

one night at the track, frosty jumped in my maxima as we were making the rounds to race again, and he completly freaked out, 2 days later h2kpinkpanther (friend of ours from the track)ordered the cattman headers.

all i can say is that there is some extra power here over a y, the sound will make you nuts its that great but you will spend more to have them.

i had no installation problems at all ! i understand not everyone will be able to afford them, i scratched and saved like a dog to get mine. but after having both, there is no question ! the headers are 1,000 times better than a y.

the man to call -----> Brian C Catts
800.759.9920 for orders
Old 06-13-2004, 03:41 PM

any dyno sheets of headers?
Old 06-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
the cattman headers are worth every single cent, and its more than just hp. its like driving a completely different car.

one night at the track, frosty jumped in my maxima as we were making the rounds to race again, and he completly freaked out, 2 days later h2kpinkpanther (friend of ours from the track)ordered the cattman headers.

all i can say is that there is some extra power here over a y, the sound will make you nuts its that great but you will spend more to have them.

i had no installation problems at all ! i understand not everyone will be able to afford them, i scratched and saved like a dog to get mine. but after having both, there is no question ! the headers are 1,000 times better than a y.

the man to call -----> Brian C Catts
800.759.9920 for orders

how hard was the install? what do you think a mechanic would charge to do an install like this?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:35 PM
Old Maxima Legend

local nissan did mine in 5 hours for $360
Old 06-13-2004, 05:42 PM
wat

Damn ceasar, just listening to some of your videos makes me want them. I bet they sound better in person too.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:03 PM

The sound of the Cattman headers W/ Mevi makes it worth it.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:11 PM
Old Maxima Legend

correct, you have to hear these in person
Old 06-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Sports Button FTW

i would love to get these but 800 dollars is insane. I guess they are worth it but i'll be waiting for a sick sale or another manufacturer to replicate it for half the price
Old 06-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Hooooooonda.....

or for someone to come out with equal length headers
Old 06-13-2004, 08:09 PM

Once more companies come out with these items it will be less for us to get them at.

Cuz i really want these but the price is frig'n high.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:20 PM

After watching a few video’s on Ceasar’s site, I have to agree that they sound sweet!

Originally Posted by takentomax
Once more companies come out with these items it will be less for us to get them at.

Cuz i really want these but the price is frig'n high.

I guess one can only hope that a few other companies may release them to drive the price down. And not only is the price really high, but most Maxima owners considering purchasing them most likely already have a Y-pipe, since the headers replace the Y it makes the old pipe a waste, and finally not to forget the install cost!
Old 06-13-2004, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
or for someone to come out with equal length headers
The Cattman headers are almost exactly equal length. Mr. Catts did make a true set of equal length headers and IIRC, they did not make even 2 hp more than the current design.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by meccanoble
i would love to get these but 800 dollars is insane. I guess they are worth it but i'll be waiting for a sick sale or another manufacturer to replicate it for half the price
You ought to go for it. Aren't you sc?
That would help out with that a lot, from what I understand.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:56 AM

I think all of who that got headers are 5spd right? None on any autos yet? Should sound the same right? I wonder how would headers and cams with stock cat and catback sound on an auto? Hm...
Old 06-14-2004, 11:21 AM
SLOW

If I were staying NA I would likely be getting them along with cams and a lightened valvetrain
Old 06-14-2004, 11:25 AM
Kevlo for President

Originally Posted by Cumalot
I think all of who that got headers are 5spd right? None on any autos yet? Should sound the same right?

It will sound exactly the same.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:29 PM

Soooooo many people that are willing to buy these headers, but nobody's buying. If Brian Catts lowered the price he could move lots more of this stuff.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:05 PM

not trying to call you guys cheap bastards, BUT, I have a lot of friends with Hondas/Acuras, and their headers are $800+ all the way to $1200.00, and this is just for headers. You never see those guys complain The Cattman header system incorporates a y-pipe as well, so basically you're getting so much more. I mean, unless you already have a y-pipe, then that would be a problem. Brian makes high quality products at competitive prices. He's not stillen your money with high markups either. But if he doesn't make any money on the products, how the hell is he gonna be able to come up with more products for us? We all can dream that his header system cost $299 with free shipping, but come on, let's try to be reasonable here. When do you ever try to low ball rolex? I wanna see you guys try to tell them to lower their price because YOU THINK they're too expensive.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Isn't that nice. They also heave headers that cost anywhere between $300 and $500. Unlike most of these snubs on the forum I understand that the market for civics is about 100x bigger than the maxima. If the demand for maxima parts was as great we'd have headers for $300 as well.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:12 PM
^ Jeff™

^^ Problem with not low-balling Rolex is that there are TONS of other watch manufacturers out there that will sell them to you cheaper.

I know Brian has spent a lot of R&D in his headers but he is the only manufacturer of a good header set...so he's capitalizing on that.

Most Honda/Acura people that I know that have shelled out good $$ for headers have the money to do so...or their parents do in most cases.

Even if Brian lowered his price to $700 shipped to your door he'd still make a good amount of profit.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:13 PM

He does have a valid point.
I think that the HOndas get a better yield from the headers than we do though.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:15 PM
^ Jeff™

^^ Hondas get better performance #s out of pretty much ANY mod do to the fact they are so restricted intake/exhaust-wise.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:19 PM

header that cost $800-1200. I havent seen those prices for any headers for hondas. Well maybe the spoon headers that are imported from japan. But hardly any1 buys those when the can get a DC header for around 300-400
Old 06-14-2004, 01:28 PM

well, i herd diff. stories bout them.. some ppl sayin y would u wanna spend 800 bucks for a lousy 8-10 hp?!?! and some ppl sayin it's worth it.. Maximas got a very strong stock headers but all i gotta say is, if u have the money go for it!! according to Ceasarschariot the headers are really worth it, so i dunno!!
Old 06-14-2004, 03:27 PM

anyone who thinks Maxima OEM exhaust manifolds are good probably hasn't seem them with their own eyes, or feel them with their own hands
Old 06-14-2004, 03:36 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Then why is it that replacing them with more open, free flowing ones we get ALMOST no gains whatsoever?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:39 PM

Then why is it that replacing them with more open, free flowing ones we get ALMOST no gains whatsoever?
Can you prove it?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by optimus310
Can you prove it?
He can't. He's just going by hearsay. Gotta love .ORG bandwagoneers.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:55 PM

cattman headers............
Old 06-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
He can't. He's just going by hearsay. Gotta love .ORG bandwagoneers.
Wow. Wasn't it 2 or 3 years ago that someone bought some shorty headers? He dynoed them and gained like 1hp. Then the noshua guy tried selling the same headers and told the guy who was the test monkey not to reveal the DYNO results cause the gains weren't there. This whole thread is HEARSAY as I've yet to see a dyno to prove the gains of the cattman headers. Next time you feel like opening your mouth lackey think first.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:12 PM
You will lose

The real problem is that this shouldn't be your first mod. But after you get a few other bolt on's and start getting more and more modded, that is when they really make the difference. When you get you Max to push 300 HP, don't you think the headers will give you more at that level over 190 HP stock. When you start to add mods together they work more and more for you. After you have $3k in other bolt on's this will make a huge improvement over stock. I think this will be a near future upgrade for me. But I have too much stuff sitting around the house that I need to put on before starting on a new project. And as far as Hondas go...F 'em. You can't help but make a 19 second car faster. They also only need one header, not two.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:16 PM
Banned

i can prove it. the stock headers flow just fine for na. the almost equal length tubing which aftermarket y's don't have probably gives most of the improvement. the stone racing headers didn't do sheat i was there they didn't do anything worth talking about. i'v seen the stock manifolds they arn't horrible...not the best. usefull on a normal max no. usefull on a built up max yes. a charger or engine work maybe.

people who ported there stock headers have recorded no gains.

just my opinion.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:24 PM

Wow. Wasn't it 2 or 3 years ago that someone bought some shorty headers? He dynoed them and gained like 1hp. Then the noshua guy tried selling the same headers and told the guy who was the test monkey not to reveal the DYNO results cause the gains weren't there. This whole thread is HEARSAY as I've yet to see a dyno to prove the gains of the cattman headers. Next time you feel like opening your mouth lackey think first.

that's very true this is just HEARSAY. The difference is that every single person who actually have them love them, and felt good performance gains, and sound.
Just in Az we have 5 or 6 members with these headers.
butt dynos might not mean much to you, but when you spend that much on a performance mod, you pockets might just not have the funds to pay for 2 dynos.
The fact is that no one knows how much cattman headers really give, but customers are satisfy with the product. Some even had Y pipe before headers to compared.

BTW: The design of the stone racing headers is very poor, and don't think they help much over the stock ones.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Banned

the design is not the best. but i would have thought they would have flowed better then stock.

my good buddy is the one who has those header's from nashua on his max.

i saw the dyno.
i did give my word, but what ever. my friend is screwed because of the deal. ****ty EGR tube!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:01 PM

hmm should i buy headers and get a supercharger as well??and sell my ypipe and intake??
Old 06-14-2004, 08:02 PM
wat

Will the headers still be worth it w/o the MEVI? I have a leak in my current aftermarket ypipe around the front 02, so im already losing low end. If I replace the pipe, im thinking of doing headers. Will my exhaust sound different aswell? I have a custom 2.5" catback resonated w/ dynomax muffler.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:20 PM

Have YOU seen a Cattman header vs. aftermarket y-pipe dyno? No? Then you're the one that should've thought first. I'm challenging your ASSumption that these headers do "almost" nothing performance-wise. They cant prove that it helps but you can't prove that it doesn't. I understand your skepticism, but just wait for the dyno as opposed to bad-mouthing it like you have proof.
Old 06-15-2004, 01:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would'nt hold my breath on another company producing these headers. I mean Stillen is the only large scale company manufacturing Y-pipes. 2 producers of ECU upgrades, one producer of cams, I think you get the picture. If you got the loot get'em, if you're breaking the bank and hoping for huge gains from this single mod don't. I think people complain about the price because they have Cattman's name on it. If they were Nismo or some other high price mod maker they would'nt be hating on them like they do Cattman cause he's trying to make some dough. If people could come with $700.00 they can come up with $800.00. IMO this is partially a bling mod. I mean the holy MEVI has lost a little luster since so many have it now, this is just more of the same.

Quick Reply: Cattman headers, worth it?