4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

OMG! I hit over 8000 rpm!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 02:19 PM
Sports Button FTW

haha, i can't count how many times i've heard this story. Even happened to me before but i hit like 6,500 rpm and it scared me to hell. Luckily i wasn't going that fast but EVERYONE THAT HAS DRIVEN MY CAR that is not used to maxima manuals says that the gears are too close and that's why everyone misses sometimes but ever since that scary moment, i make sure i throw it in the right place
Old 10-01-2002, 03:33 PM

i did this last year... i hit 8k... scared the crap out of me. i was on the highway comimg back from the track and a friend passes me... so with a drink in my right hand i tried to shift from 5th to 4th... wouldn't go to 4th... i let the stick go and tried again. unfortunately it went to 2nd going like 80... didn't think it was possible. so i coasted for probably a half mile listening for noises... didn't hear anything. its been ~10k or so... no new noises. and hopefully nothing will show up down the road. hopefully it will be one of those cases that teaches me to be more careful.
Old 10-01-2002, 03:58 PM

Re: hmmmmmmmmmm......

Originally posted by dental stud
For example...my brother has a 200SX SE-R with the same motor as the old sentra SE-R...the old sentra's redline was 7400, but his was 7100, for no apparent reason...same engine precisely.
The JWT ECU raises the rev limiter to 7750, just like the Classic SE-R and first gen G20s. The rev limiter was felt at about 8000, but those car's tach and speedo were not know for extreme accuracy. The newer SR20DEs had a redline of 7100, which was speculated on the SE-R list to be purely for emmissions reasons.
Old 10-01-2002, 06:34 PM

dayam thats a lot of rpms u sure u didnt see smoke man
Old 10-01-2002, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Just another reason to be using synthetic oils. Not only for superior lubrication but for superior film strength to help protect your engine in situations like these. No it won't help protect if a stretched rod that contacts the valves during a overrev, but it might be the difference between a spun a crankshaft/cam bearing when they want to actually touch each other and having no damage at all.
- Synthetic may help with revs, but I will never, ever go back to it. Once I started changing my own oil, I found that the synthetic looked just as clean when I took it out as it did when I poured it in. In my opinion, it wasn't cleaning anything out of the engine.
- I've been using 20w50 for the past year and my baby is purring like a kitten. I tried 10w30 once, but the engine just didn't sound or feel right.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:47 PM

damn this thread is old...

I think when i replied to this was my last visit to this forum til now...i dont have the Max anymore...I sold it to buy my 91 300z TT....should be up to 500+RWHP after this month!....but to answer any future questions, i do miss my Max, in terms of speed and size....that and the fact that there are now turbos for em!
Old 10-01-2002, 09:05 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by meccanoble
haha, i can't count how many times i've heard this story. Even happened to me before but i hit like 6,500 rpm and it scared me to hell. Luckily i wasn't going that fast but EVERYONE THAT HAS DRIVEN MY CAR that is not used to maxima manuals says that the gears are too close and that's why everyone misses sometimes but ever since that scary moment, i make sure i throw it in the right place
omg yea, especially 3rd gear. w/ a STS, it's even worse at times. Sometimes i try to shift into 3rd gear but it goes like half-way or something and the shifter vibrates like hell and scares the **** outta me, then i gotta hit the clutch and re-shift it.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Chebosto
8k? is that even possible?

the highest i EVER hit was 7400 (dont ask) and that was verified by my SAFC with Peak RPM hold..

as you might suspect i was kicking myself in the butt all week long.. did a compression test immediately the next day to check if i f***ed the valve springs or pistons in anyway.

but really. i didnt think 8k was possible unless you were Turtle95Max.. i think his redline is around 8.5->9k.
Yeah, it's definitely possible. Whether or not it did any damage is another question. You could bring your car up to 150 and jam it into 1st...you'll wind the **** out of the engine (provided your clutch holds up).

-Sryth...
__________________________________________________ ____________________________
'98 SE 5spd, Pebble Beige, PRCAI, Stillen Y, Stillen FSTB, ACT clutch.
Pacesetter STS to be installed this week!
Old 10-02-2002, 06:40 AM
I am Roid Rage

Originally posted by SleeperSE

- Synthetic may help with revs, but I will never, ever go back to it. Once I started changing my own oil, I found that the synthetic looked just as clean when I took it out as it did when I poured it in. In my opinion, it wasn't cleaning anything out of the engine.
- I've been using 20w50 for the past year and my baby is purring like a kitten. I tried 10w30 once, but the engine just didn't sound or feel right.
1. Oil shouldn’t be cleaning anything out of your engine. It’s job is to lubricate the engine and minimize friction. I could be wrong on this, but the reason it looks as good coming out as going in is that it doesn’t break down and release contaminants like conventional motor oils.
2. 20w50 might be a little too heavy.
3. Anybody/everybody feel free to correct me on any of this. I’m no oil expert and there are a lot of guys on this forum who know more about oil than I do.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ok so the exact same thing happened to me.. I was at about 6k about to put it in 4th and i put it in 2nd... Rite away when i saw the needle jump i pressed the clutch in but the needle still went to a lil over 7k.. The car runs great abd still pulls as strong as b4 but the oil light went on so i poured more oil in.. It still didnt go off.. Im gunna try unplugging the batt. To reset the computer to seee if it goes off and dosnt come back on.. Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:08 AM

There is blatant hypocrisy in how new members are treated.

If they post a new thread that asks a question similar to an existing thread, they're told "Use the fkin search!" and flamed.

If they search for an old existing thread that is relevant to their issue, they're criticized for bumping a thread from the grave and flamed for that.

If they find an active thread that is somewhat relevant, and ask their question there, they get criticized for going off topic.

Frankly, this is acceptable for really common questions that are in the stickied FAQ thread.

But, for more complicated troubleshooting issues, newbies are between a rock and a hard place.

Also, just throwing it out there, but by simply flaming "USE THE SEARCH", we create a huge number of threads where someone asks a question and nobody answers it, which completely clogs up search results.

I actually do use the search, and I'll get excited because I find a thread where someone asks the exact same question I'm having, and every single response is just "Use the search!". Many of the more obscure (I'm talking about stuff more complicated than just "shuld i buy teh shotrram or teh sea an eye intaik!?!?!?!") have a couple of threads that actually provide relevant information (and they're usually old threads), then a couple dozen threads pop up in the search results which clog it up.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM

do u have a rev limiter

Originally Posted by tmoutlawz
ok im racing this car, and im going 80 in 3rd and i shift into what i think is fourth, but it was 2nd!!!!!!!!! i hit over 8000 rpm! it was for about a second, so i put the clutch in, and cruz into a shopping center. theres no burnt smell or anything, so i drove it to work and its running fine. what should i check??? what should i replace? has this happned to anyone?
for a sec that not bad if u kept it there for long then u might have hurt the motor,just keep looking at it should be ok.i am still thinking if u had a rev limiter how did it get up too 8000 rpm?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:28 AM

dam

Originally Posted by Crazytrini
for a sec that not bad if u kept it there for long then u might have hurt the motor,just keep looking at it should be ok.i am still thinking if u had a rev limiter how did it get up too 8000 rpm?
sorry guys didn`t relize that is trend is old lol
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Kevlo for President

If your oil light is on, your oil pump might be broken. High revs can do this and I can confirm this, your engine might seize up as well.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM
The Golden One

Originally Posted by nalc

If they post a new thread that asks a question similar to an existing thread, they're told "Use the fkin search!" and flamed.

If they search for an old existing thread that is relevant to their issue, they're criticized for bumping a thread from the grave and flamed for that.

If they find an active thread that is somewhat relevant, and ask their question there, they get criticized for going off topic.

Frankly, this is acceptable for really common questions that are in the stickied FAQ thread.

But, for more complicated troubleshooting issues, newbies are between a rock and a hard place.

Also, just throwing it out there, but by simply flaming "USE THE SEARCH", we create a huge number of threads where someone asks a question and nobody answers it, which completely clogs up search results.

I actually do use the search, and I'll get excited because I find a thread where someone asks the exact same question I'm having, and every single response is just "Use the search!". Many of the more obscure (I'm talking about stuff more complicated than just "shuld i buy teh shotrram or teh sea an eye intaik!?!?!?!") have a couple of threads that actually provide relevant information (and they're usually old threads), then a couple dozen threads pop up in the search results which clog it up.
+1.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:01 AM

+1

Senior Memebers shouldnt flame Noobies from posting in old threads. They have no choice until they have enough posts to start a new thread and ask their real question.

I get upset when the noobie starts a thread about exhaust or intake mods. Thats when i tell em to SEARCH cuz intakes and exhaust mods have soooooo many threads (AND the Kevlo FAQ) that its really silly to post a new thread about intake and exhaust mod recommendations. But even still, I provide the person with a helpful answer.

Unless the question is jus plain stupid, then i jus flame ... lol
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 AM

well instead of just agreeing with the post answer his question
Old 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DomVQ
Ok so the exact same thing happened to me.. I was at about 6k about to put it in 4th and i put it in 2nd... Rite away when i saw the needle jump i pressed the clutch in but the needle still went to a lil over 7k.. The car runs great abd still pulls as strong as b4 but the oil light went on so i poured more oil in.. It still didnt go off.. Im gunna try unplugging the batt. To reset the computer to seee if it goes off and dosnt come back on.. Any suggestions?
Drain the oil and look for signs of destruction (metal flakes, etc). If none are found, refill with clean oil and see if the light is still on. If it is, hook up a mechanical gauge and see what it reports the oil pressure as.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM

def agreed. ppl r mad quick to say search.

Originally Posted by ajm8127
Drain the oil and look for signs of destruction (metal flakes, etc). If none are found, refill with clean oil and see if the light is still on. If it is, hook up a mechanical gauge and see what it reports the oil pressure as.
yeah id try this. the same thing happened to me in my honda prelude, i was at the track at englishtown nj and tried to shift into 4th and hit 2nd...i immediately put the car into neutral and coasted about 250 ft till i crossed the 1/4 mark... still ran a 15.9 lol...but i never had a problem w the motor and/or anything related. i got lucky. i do know people that have bent valves and blown motors due to this...and an oil light usually means its 2 late in this case. best of luck

edit: im not sure about our cars, but you can plug in a com link into the car and it will tell you the exact rpm you over revved the motor at

Last edited by Goomz; 03-29-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM
SLOW

some people have gotten away with hitting the wrong gear and over revving the engine, others have needed a new engine.

oil light being on is a bad sign.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:26 AM

i argee with nalc, its always seemed to be that way when people dig up old threads.

ive hit 8k twice and cant count the amount of times 7k+
Old 03-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Holy cow you're lucky you didn't blow your motor. My boy was racing his nx2000 and misshifted and his tach hit 9000rpm....blew his rod right out of his crankcase glowing red and all.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:07 PM

i did almost the same thing the very first day i got my 5 spd.. i was shifting into 3rd at about 5.5k rpm but by accident went into 1st.. overreved by not too much for a mili second coz i caught the clutch lol.. it sucks, nothing happened tho
Old 03-29-2010, 03:45 PM

8k..................... is like 800000000000000000000000000000^10 for your poor engine........... lol.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:48 PM

8000 rpm = mad vtec, yo.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 PM

Well since this has been resurrected might as well join in the phone! The first week I got the max I was doing highway speeds I was new to the max and was enjoying the power, I was speeding up in third around 5k or so then i went for what i thought was 4th and HOLY CRAP was it scary made all kinds of crazy weird sounds like the anti-christ but I quickly threw it into 4th and havent had problems for nearly 10k miles
Old 03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

So I thought I'd let u guys no.. I decided to flush the oil, and I found nothin in the oil.. Put in some new oil and the oil light was still on. I decided to take the car to my mechanic and see what he says and I noticed the max was running like a deislel on my way to the mechanic who lives about 2 miles away my car just died.. Tried starting it and it just cranked but no luck .. I'm stuck without a Car, and prolly will end up getting a new motor. The nice thing is that they are cheap. I'm concidering getting the 3.5 but not shure.. Anyways thanx for ur help guys !
Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 PM

This would be in the 4th gen forum I don't know how you guys can even do this. Maybe learning to drive stick might keep this from happening. Never, ever have I heard of anyone missing a gear that badly.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by viperboy
This would be in the 4th gen forum I don't know how you guys can even do this. Maybe learning to drive stick might keep this from happening. Never, ever have I heard of anyone missing a gear that badly.
What's remarkable is that after over-revving he noticed the oil light came on, but continued to drive, noting "The car...still pulls as strong as b4".

DomVQ, when your oil light comes on, TURN OFF YOUR MOTOR! The light is red for a reason.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by DomVQ
So I thought I'd let u guys no.. I decided to flush the oil, and I found nothin in the oil.. Put in some new oil and the oil light was still on. I decided to take the car to my mechanic and see what he says and I noticed the max was running like a deislel on my way to the mechanic who lives about 2 miles away my car just died.. Tried starting it and it just cranked but no luck .. I'm stuck without a Car, and prolly will end up getting a new motor. The nice thing is that they are cheap. I'm concidering getting the 3.5 but not shure.. Anyways thanx for ur help guys !

That sucks bro. But a good 90k engine shd run 300-400 so it shdt be that bad

I was jus wondering about the mis-shifting issues. Honestly w/ my max, its difficult to shift from 3rd to 2nd or 5th tto second without doing like 20mph or less. The tranny will let u shift into 2nd but it wont slip into 2nd easily like it would for 4th gear. There will be some "resistance" to shift into 2nd goin that fast. I can shift, but there would be some resistance to let me know im puttin it into 2nd. Is that a problem...idk??? Sures hell wouldnt be able to shift into first.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:19 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by cashoit
Unless the question is jus plain stupid, then i jus flame ... lol
Because your such a veteran?

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 03-30-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 AM
Boosted Panda

I think a big part of it is that they dont actually read through the whole thread after bringing them up, and simply reasks the same question again.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by tmoutlawz
ok im racing this car, and im going 80 in 3rd and i shift into what i think is fourth, but it was 2nd!!!!!!!!! i hit over 8000 rpm! it was for about a second, so i put the clutch in, and cruz into a shopping center. theres no burnt smell or anything, so i drove it to work and its running fine. what should i check??? what should i replace? has this happned to anyone?
Ive done thet twice so far going into fourth.
Only difference is i buried my RPMs lol, looked like it coulda went to 10 or something.
No worries tho this happened to me a couple of months ago and still running strong
Old 03-30-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
this thread reminded me of when brittany spears misshifted her rented ferarri and did $25,000 of damage to her car.

edit: typo on numbers in original post
Reminded me of the video on youtube of the kid in an eclipse trying to race a bmw...did what the OP did and blew the engine all over the road...

I'd link it right now but im at school and I can't get to youtube..