4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

"Jackpot" trouble codes. CEL problems. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 07:05 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

"Jackpot" trouble codes. CEL problems. Please help.

I have had a nagging CEL since I bought my I30 back in February. It has been throwing a code that comes on, goes off, comes on, goes off. I can run a few hundred miles with the light on, then it mystically goes off. It remains off for a few hundred miles, then comes back. I have pulled the codes with the screw method and I pull an all-clear, but w/ an OBD-II scanner I get 4 codes (though 1 shows up twice )

By ODBII i pull a P0325, a P0440, a P1446, and a SECOND P0325. The conversion to screw-codes is:
P0325= 03 04
P0440= 07 05
P0446= 09 03

According to org resources, these codes are as follows:

P0325/ 0304
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0304 points to a problem with the Knock Sensor. The KS is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is senses as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (The computer).

This malfunction is detected when an excessively high or low voltage from the KS is entered to the ECM. Possible causes include...
- the harness or connector (The KS circuit is open or shorted).
- the KS

The KS may be checked with an ohmmeter.

P0440/ 0705
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0705 points to a problem with the Evaporative Emission Control System.

This malfunction is detected when the EVAP control system has a leak or the EVAP control system does not operate properly. (EVAP = EVAPorative emissions.)
Possible causes include...
- incorrect fuel tank vacuum relief valve
- incorrect fuel filler cap
- fuel filler cap vent remains open or fails to close
- foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
- a leak in the line between the intake manifold and the
EVAP Canister Vacuum Control Valve
- foreign matter caught in the EVAP CVCV
- leaks in the EVAP canister or fuel tank
- leaks in the EVAP purge line (pipe and rubber tube)
- EVAP purge line rubber tube bent
- blocked or bent rubber tube to EVAP control system pressure sensor
- loose or disconnected rubber tube
- EVAP CVCV and circuit
- EVAP Canister Purge Volume Control Solenoid Valve and circuit
- absolute pressure sensor
- tank fuel temperature sensor
- MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve and circuit
- blocked or bent rubber tube to MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve
- O-ring of EVAP CVCV is missing or damaged
- water separator
- EVAP canister saturated with water
- EVAP control system pressure sensor
- refueling EVAP vapor cut valve
- ORVR system leaks

This is a "jackpot" DTC. It points to so many things you don't know what to check. It is often combined with another DTC which is more specific and therefore more helpful.

P0446/ 0903
Diagnostic Trouble Code 0903 indicates a problem with the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Control Valve or its associated electric circuit.

This part is used by the Engine Control Module to perform the fuel system leak test. Since it is used only for self-diagnosis your engine will run perfectly well despite the dashboard Malfunction Indicator Lamp.

The EVAP canister and this valve are located under the car, near the rear left tire. You might check to make sure all the electrical connectors in that area are secure.

There's no telling how expensive the repair will be, because no definite diagnosis has been made. Maybe you just have to re-plug a loose connector. Since the EVAP system is part of the emissions control system you might have warranty coverage.
I have been told that the KS fault is NOT really a fault, but merely a secondary fault from the EVAP code. I als have already pulled the EVAP Canister and cleaned the evap canister vent control valve. I have disconnected and reconnected the wirirng associated with this.The valve itself seems tp be in 100% working order at this time.

What should me next step be? I have been told to replace the filler cap as a precaution, so that is most likely my first move. After that, I was told to try to swap out my ECU for another unit to see if I might not have a faulty ECU, but having a 97 infiniti (frankenstein car) I do not know what year of maxima I need to find to do a short-term swap-out. Can anyone advise me on that?

Lastly, are either of these EVAP codes associated with the evap parts under the hood, or are both codes most likely tied to the canister section of the evap system?
Old 06-14-2004, 07:07 AM
Kevlo for President

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=265311
Old 06-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally Posted by kevlo911
Nice- I had gottem most of my info from your posts of DBM info, but the link you posted has a link yto a diagram that I was looking for.

I am really pi$$ed about this CEL, because I am stalled as to what to do/replace to fix it.

On top of that it seems to be running just fine...
Old 06-14-2004, 04:41 PM
Mod her. Ate her.

Top. Maybe I should have titled this "look at my neons" or something...

Sorry for the mini-rant. And thanks to kevlo.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:05 AM
Kevlo for President

No problem, I like to help people.