4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hesitation on 1995 GLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 02:09 PM
Chasbo51

Just hit 60k and Max has been a charm. Last night attempted to pass with nearly full throttle and Max hung up for a full couple of seconds and engine finally began to accelerate. I normally drive very easy . Car starts and runs beautifully and normal highway acceleration does not produce this bogging. No trouble codes ,idles very smoothly. Purchased NGK Platinum plugs just waiting for warmer weather. Should I look to changing fuel filter? When I purchased Max at 42K previous owner claimed 40k service was completed at local Nissan dealer. No specifics on exactly what was performed at that time. Thanks for any info

Old 03-29-2001, 02:58 PM

Possible fuel starvation

Originally posted by Chasbo51
Just hit 60k and Max has been a charm. Last night attempted to pass with nearly full throttle and Max hung up for a full couple of seconds and engine finally began to accelerate. I normally drive very easy . Car starts and runs beautifully and normal highway acceleration does not produce this bogging. No trouble codes ,idles very smoothly. Purchased NGK Platinum plugs just waiting for warmer weather. Should I look to changing fuel filter? When I purchased Max at 42K previous owner claimed 40k service was completed at local Nissan dealer. No specifics on exactly what was performed at that time. Thanks for any info
There is no 40K service. Other than oil and oil filter changes, the service intervals are 30K miles, 60K miles, 90K miles, etc.

Replacing the fuel filter is not part of any scheduled maintenance procedure. It is something like a headlight bulb: you replace it when you need to.

Your symptom could have been caused by fuel starvation. This could be the consequence of an obstructed fuel filter or a weak fuel pump. The reasonable course of action is to replace the filter. If the symptom recurs you could make a fuel pressure test to evaluate the pump.

Avoid running the fuel tank dry. That hurts the pump, and the damage doesn't always show up right away.

Replacing the fuel filter is something which may be done by the home mechanic.
It is somewhat more difficult to reach if your Maxima is equipped with ABS.
This job doesn't require any special tools, but it does require dexterity and patience.

See http://integra.vtec.net/geeser/mega...0k_service.html
and scroll down to Step 3, Fuel Filter.

Go to Steve Cutchen's excellent MaxFAQ page:
http://web2.airmail.net/scutchen/max_faq/
Click on SUBTOPICS below Maintenance.
Click on Changing the Fuel Filter
Old 03-29-2001, 03:04 PM

It could be something much simpler, the transmission could have been slow to downshift. If I run the car softly for about 200 miles then floor it, there can be a 2-3 second delay before the car figures out that I wanted it to downshift for better acceleration. Try it again and see what happens. I hope that it's just a slow tranny downshift.
Old 03-30-2001, 10:38 PM
SLOW

Another Hesitation

I have a sort of hesitation as well... i have a 96 5 Speed GXE. the hesitation ONLY occurs when shifting into 3rd, and NEVER happens under full power, only under normal driving. its nothing with how i depress or engage the clutch or anything like that, but i dont have a clue as to what it may be. it DOES NOT happen all the time, probably 1 in 20 shifts (1 in 20 2nd gear ---> 3rd shifts). any ideas anyone?

Neal
Old 03-31-2001, 02:40 PM
Chasbo51

Problem solved

Originally posted by Chasbo51
Changed fuel filter today and hesitation is now gone. Thanks to all