4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Clutch cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 04:05 PM

Yesterday I jumped into the car, put my foot on the clutch to discover i had no pedal, I checked the relay seemed ok, then checked the resovoir to find no fluid, I believe this works in the same way a wheel cylinder on the braking system, I'm lucky i don't work far from home so i started it in 1st and race changed all the way home. Anyone else ever had to replace this cylinder ?? if so how much $$$$ ???
Old 03-29-2001, 05:30 PM
Disco Biscuit

Yup I just replaced them. There are 2, and Master and a slave. The slave cost me $150 and the master cost $100. That includes labor as they were installed at seperate times. My mechanic had no problem finding the slave unit, but had a hard time finding the master. Good luck!!!
Old 03-29-2001, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by MR_Maxi
Yesterday I jumped into the car, put my foot on the clutch to discover i had no pedal, I checked the relay seemed ok, then checked the resovoir to find no fluid, I believe this works in the same way a wheel cylinder on the braking system, I'm lucky i don't work far from home so i started it in 1st and race changed all the way home. Anyone else ever had to replace this cylinder ?? if so how much $$$$ ???
Relay? What relay?

You are correct, the clutch hydraulics are similar to the brake hydraulics. I suggest you determine where your leak is. Replenish the clutch master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid. Have an assistant sit behind the wheel and pump the clutch pedal repeatedly. The engine does not have to be running for this test. You look under the hood and under the car, searching for the leak. I'll bet it is in the slave cylinder. If you like to do your own "wrenching" you may rebuild the slave. PartsAmerica.com lists a rebuild kit, Raybestos CSK1038, for $5.49 plus shipping. Figure another $2 for some brake fluid, and you can get your car back on the road for $10 plus your time.
Old 03-29-2001, 08:33 PM

I just got a price on the replacement parts from nissan $92.10 for the slave and $158.10 for the master, Thats aussie dollars, which makes it bargain prices for you guys cos our $$ is sitting @ US49c.
There is a relay for the clutch in the fuse box under the bonnet, I might see if there is a rebuild available here for that slave otherwise it wont hurt to go a few days without to wait for shipping from the US, thanks for that info Dan my man !!! Our dollar has died on its *** making aftremarket stuff from the states bloody expensive, they should produce it in Taiwan so everyone can benefit.
Old 03-30-2001, 04:26 AM

Clutch is huyraulic, not electric

Originally posted by MR_Maxi
... There is a relay for the clutch in the fuse box under the bonnet ...
The clutch in a Maxima is a hydraulic mechanism. It doesn't require electricity to work. It has no fuse. It has no relay.

The only item which could be thought of as a "clutch relay" is the Inhibitor Relay. That has nothing to do with clutch operation. It is part of the safety circuit which prevents the starter motor from operating unless the clutch pedal is "floored". A failure of the Inhibitor Relay won't prevent the clutch from working normally and certainly won't cause a hydraulic leak.
Old 03-30-2001, 05:21 PM

ok

How do yyou bleed the cylinder?
Old 03-30-2001, 05:44 PM

Bleeding instructions

Originally posted by MADMAN
How do yyou bleed the cylinder?
The same way you would bleed a brake caliper.

Arrange for an assistant to sit behind the wheel. Equip yourself with a can of fresh brake fluid, a catch can, a length of small-diameter rubber tubing, and a box wrench which fits the slave cylinder bleed screw. Top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir with brake fluid. Use the wrench to break free the bleed screw. Press one end of the tube over the bleed screw nipple and drop the other end in the catch can. Use your fingers to open the bleed screw and call out to your assistant "DOWN". The assistant presses the clutch pedal to the floor and calls out "DOWN". You use your fingers to snug the bleed screw closed and call out "UP". The assistant lets the clutch pedal come all the way up and calls out "UP". Repeat the process until clean fluid comes out of the slave cylinder. Top off the reservoir. Road test the vehicle.

This can be a one-man job if you have a speed bleeder on the slave cylinder or if you do the bleeding with a hand-powered vacuum pump such as a Mityvac.
Old 03-30-2001, 08:29 PM

Re: Clutch is huyraulic, not electric

Ok, I found out what this relay is for, in my maxima or better known as the i30 in the states, the relay is for a sounding device to tell you that the clutch is engaged, you're right it has no part in mechanical working of the clutch, I spose it's to prevent people from riding it.
Old 03-31-2001, 07:52 PM

ok i found the leak

but it not the cylinder assy. Its the hose right next to it. It has a small leak that is hard to detect. I had my friend push the the clutch it was coming out in very small quantity. have anyone replace this hose?