4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

LED Taillight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 08:19 AM
Banned

Kev,

I understand what you are saying, but it may take me awhile to do this Mod, so i don't want to take my light's apart till i get my LED's ready. It would help if you could send me a pattern if you got one.

Thanks
VP
Old 06-17-2004, 08:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Getting the leds to get brighter is a much bigger project. Dual resistors seems like a practical idea until you realize the the power has to flow through both resistors so no matter what you do the higher resistor will cut the power to the regular brightness and nothing will change.

I don't know how to exactly explain but I'll try. Each bulb for the stock taillights has three wires. One ground, one low power, one high power. The one for low power is obviously used for when you have your parking lights on. The high power is for the brakes. Well when you have the parking lights on the low power wire is always on. Even when you push the brakes the low power wire continues to produce power while at the same time so does the high powered wire.

If it were to work in the way that the power to the low powered wire would cut out when you hit the brakes then having 2 resistors would work. But maybe I'm wrong. And if I am please excuse my post.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:32 AM
Hooooooonda.....

It's gonna take you an hour TOPS to get the lights out, take them apart, trace the reflector, and put them back on. If you have time to do this later on, you certainly have an hour to do something easier now.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Big D
It's gonna take you an hour TOPS to get the lights out, take them apart, trace the reflector, and put them back on. If you have time to do this later on, you certainly have an hour to do something easier now.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually, I have seen something contrary to what you say, on some beaten Maxima too. I also thought that when you hit brakes while having p.lights on, it just adds to it. However on several ocasions I saw when guy would step on the btakes his one of his parking lights would go out, while others would lights up - when releases brakes, everything back to normal, which leads me to believe that power gets cut off for p.lights when it is applied to brake lights. But I caould be wrong...

On the second note, few months ago there was discussion about this and use of relays was brought up. Geo 1317 told me he is still researching this and intends to do this just G35 style (dimmer/brighter LEDs)

Originally Posted by hacim105
Getting the leds to get brighter is a much bigger project. Dual resistors seems like a practical idea until you realize the the power has to flow through both resistors so no matter what you do the higher resistor will cut the power to the regular brightness and nothing will change.

I don't know how to exactly explain but I'll try. Each bulb for the stock taillights has three wires. One ground, one low power, one high power. The one for low power is obviously used for when you have your parking lights on. The high power is for the brakes. Well when you have the parking lights on the low power wire is always on. Even when you push the brakes the low power wire continues to produce power while at the same time so does the high powered wire.

If it were to work in the way that the power to the low powered wire would cut out when you hit the brakes then having 2 resistors would work. But maybe I'm wrong. And if I am please excuse my post.
Old 06-18-2004, 04:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I was thinking what I posted while doing 9004 to 9007 conversion and it occured to me my previous speculations in post above are full of BS. Cause why then parking raw of leds does not go out when I step on a brake