4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Have you had the dealer fix your timing chain tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have you had the dealer fix your timing chain tensioner

Hi;

Anybody have the dealer repair your slack side guide's timing chain tensioner?

I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima with a timing chain tensioner that loses oil pressure overnight and this means that when you start the car in the morning it will have a slack timing chain for a few seconds.

I understand that the timing chain tensioner in the 1996 can be replaced with a redesigned tensioner from a later model 4th gen.

I've read all about people going in through the small access hole on the timing chain cover and replacing the tensioner, but has anyone had the dealer do this for them?

What is the part number of the redesigned timing chain tensioner I want to have them put in?

Is a gasket required at the access door on the timing chain cover?

Any other parts required to do the job.

I'm not talking about doing all of the timing chains, sprockets, guides, etc., just the timing chain tensioner on the slack side guide.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 06-15-2004, 05:03 PM
Do I get a tax break?

I had mine done by Glendale Nissan - here in the Western Chicago burbs... They replaced the tensioner and guide... they actually opened the entire timing chain cover - not just the small access door.

Some background: I was at approx. 62k, just over the 5yr mark - when the rattling (on cold startup) was severe enough for me to take it in... of course the dealer said its out of warranty, so I called Nissan Corporate, started a case, and eventually they agreed to "help" out of goodwill... it still ran me close to 400 bucks after their "help" - which was all parts free, plus warranty-work labor rate....

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the input, njmodi.

I'm going to go talk to my local dealer about this fix. It hasn't gotten bad yet, but I would like to get it fixed soon.

Anybody else that has some info on this?

Thanks,

White96MaxSE
Old 06-16-2004, 05:02 AM
Kevlo for President

\I have had mine fixed for $200. I would not pay more. Just call around and you should also find that price.

If you want to DIY http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....t=timing+chain
Old 06-17-2004, 06:57 PM

Hi kevlo911;

My dealer has quoted me 185.00 for parts and labor to install the redesigned timing chain tensioner. This sounds good to me, I think I'm going to go for it.

Thanks for your reply!

White96MaxSE
Old 06-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Kevlo for President

Yes, that is a good price. Go get it done. Make sure before you leave that you put your ear done there and you listen to see if it is makng any noises.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:02 AM

the new and old parts are not compatible as a stand alone replacement...meaning you can't put the new tensioner in without the new guide. To replace the guide requires taking the cover off which is where the $'s are....around $1000 at most dealers.

I have done two of these where i replaced the whole sha-bang...guides, chain, crank seal, tensioner and so on....its a 7 hour job.

But, I have heard that you can replace the plunger in your old tensioner with the plunger from a new one....which can be done through an access cover....I can't comment if this works, but your delaer can't be doing any more than that for $185...good luck, I hope it works.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:14 AM

pardon my ignorance, but does this fix the grinding/rattling noise in the morning during a cold start. i hear a grinding/rattling sound for about half a second sometimes when its cold in the morning. i'm sorry if this is completely irrevelant.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jbreit
the new and old parts are not compatible as a stand alone replacement...meaning you can't put the new tensioner in without the new guide. To replace the guide requires taking the cover off which is where the $'s are....around $1000 at most dealers.

I have done two of these where i replaced the whole sha-bang...guides, chain, crank seal, tensioner and so on....its a 7 hour job.

But, I have heard that you can replace the plunger in your old tensioner with the plunger from a new one....which can be done through an access cover....I can't comment if this works, but your delaer can't be doing any more than that for $185...good luck, I hope it works.

Excuse me, but this doesn't make sense. If the old and new tensioners are incompatible, it must be because the plunger is different, since that is what contacts the guide. And if the new plunger is okay with the old guide, why won't the entire new tensioner be okay?

For what it's worth, I replaced the tensioner less than a year ago, and didn't come across any incompatibility problems. Now that I think about it, the new tensioner I bought was identical to the one I replaced. Have they made a change since then?