4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

looking to get quiet muffler...i'm sick of droning and noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Custom User Title...

looking to get quiet muffler...i'm sick of droning and noise

currently i have a budget y pipe, an aftermarket muffler and some not stock but not really that open catback with a big resonator on it. the catback is leaking and hissing so i'm gonna go to this guy i've heard about on here, that is not too far from me in mass, that does the catback for $125.

so anyways, i plan on getting a new catback, 2.5" with a nice big resonator or two just to keep it quiet, and want a muffler that compliments it that's not too restrictive, but i honestly don't want noise. i know that's a difficult thing to obtain, but i've read on here a few people have "quiet catbacks". i don't really want to spend over $250 total because i'm sort of on a budget and i don't want to throw big $$ into the car anymore really.

i was thinking of going with a stock muffler from someone on here, but not sure how small/restrictive it would be with the rest of the exhaust.

i would search, but the 56k i currently have to use makes regular net use tough.

any help or suggestions is much appreciated. thanks
Old 06-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Jepht20
currently i have a budget y pipe, an aftermarket muffler and some not stock but not really that open catback with a big resonator on it. the catback is leaking and hissing so i'm gonna go to this guy i've heard about on here, that is not too far from me in mass, that does the catback for $125.

so anyways, i plan on getting a new catback, 2.5" with a nice big resonator or two just to keep it quiet, and want a muffler that compliments it that's not too restrictive, but i honestly don't want noise. i know that's a difficult thing to obtain, but i've read on here a few people have "quiet catbacks". i don't really want to spend over $250 total because i'm sort of on a budget and i don't want to throw big $$ into the car anymore really.

i was thinking of going with a stock muffler from someone on here, but not sure how small/restrictive it would be with the rest of the exhaust.

i would search, but the 56k i currently have to use makes regular net use tough.

any help or suggestions is much appreciated. thanks

Dynomax Super Turbo is your friend

I was running it in dual exhaust form before i switched to flows. Reason i switched was because the Dyno was too quiet

My buddy (Timz96SE if you care to PM) is running my old Dynomax and its pretty quiet. Gets a tad throaty at WOT, probably what your looking for...

-eric
Old 06-22-2004, 03:11 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp

I was running it in dual exhaust form before i switched to flows. Reason i switched was because the Dyno was too quiet

My buddy (Timz96SE if you care to PM) is running my old Dynomax and its pretty quiet. Gets a tad throaty at WOT, probably what your looking for...

-eric
i have that in the mail I'll be sure to take a nice video clip when its all installed.

warpspeed y-pipe, warpspeed straight pipe, budget bpipe and dynomax turbo muffler
Old 06-22-2004, 03:48 AM

I used to have a remus mufler on a VR and i loved it. It wasnt load at all. just a slight hum.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:51 AM

my magnaflow i just installed with ws y-pipe and stock-b sounds great. very very deep and not too loud, ill get some video up soon, camera is charging.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Kevlo for President

I hear the Apexi WS is quiet
Old 06-22-2004, 06:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

DYNOMAX all the way!!!

drew
Old 06-22-2004, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp

-eric
Dude, where have you been, Eric?
Good to see you again.

Jepht20, I would recommend that you use a 5th gen stock muffler. I love mine. It has the dual pipes so it can open both of them up at WOT, but only one at cruising speeds. It was pretty easy to cut a hole in the bumper for it to fit. Just to let you know, if you do get a 5th gen muffler, they hang lower so you should be able to put it on there and then see where you want to cut the hole. FYI....live and learn...he he.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:31 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Good to see you again.

Jepht20, I would recommend that you use a 5th gen stock muffler. I love mine. It has the dual pipes so it can open both of them up at WOT, but only one at cruising speeds. It was pretty easy to cut a hole in the bumper for it to fit. Just to let you know, if you do get a 5th gen muffler, they hang lower so you should be able to put it on there and then see where you want to cut the hole. FYI....live and learn...he he.

i say get the 5th gen as well, it will be quiet and it is a variable exhust
Old 06-22-2004, 07:45 AM

The Apexi is pretty quiet. It does have some growl, but not much, you can't even hear it with the radio on.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:51 AM

Get the 5th gen muffler. Wait maybe get the 3rd gen. It sounds way better.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:58 AM

The only problem you run into with getting the 3rd gen one is that a lot of them will probably be rusted or just worn out.

IMO....always better to go newer, now older.

I got a 5th gen muffler for $100 shipped. I had it put on along with a custom 2.5" b-pipe for $50. That is $150 total....can't beat it.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:09 AM
UCF Lexus

Magnaflow 1487
Old 06-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Stock. With my Y and B I feel the power increase, but when I went from aftermarket muffler back to stock, I noticed virtually no loss in power but a huge change in SPL at all throttle levels.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:29 AM

yeah, even if you don't want to upgrade to a 5th gen, get your stock muffler out and use that. I imagine it would sound similar to the 5th gen, but even quieter. It is a pretty straight-through muffler and should fit all of your needs.

The only reasons I didn't stay with stock:
1. someone hit me from behind and crunched the muffler a little bit.
2. If I was going to have to get another muffler anyway and pay about the same for each, I just wanted the variable flow one. Just made sense. Plus, I like the chrome oval tip that I have. I have never seen one like it on the 4th gens, so I like the uniqueness. Looks good. (I think I have a picture of it on the cardomain site...)
Old 06-22-2004, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Brudaddy
Good to see you again.

OT
Thanks...school has been kicking my ***. Not fun taking 4 summer courses. Wanna get my degree!

on-topic
Dynomax or 5th gen seems to be the concensus...

-eric