4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stillen Intake vs Hacked Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 09:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stillen Intake vs Hacked Box

Ok, i have the Stillen Hi-flow. Love the sound and it seems to help at top end. I have hacked air boxes before, but i am mainly interested in performance.
Any comments, especially dynos, would be great.
Old 06-26-2004, 09:08 AM
BOSS

this has been said millions of times and goes something like this:

"either one will yield 1 hp if you're lucky"

Old 06-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

what ever happened to the "mother of all intake threads" thread?

That would be good to add to the FAQ if it could be dug up.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:41 PM

Put me up in the hacked box column.

Nick
Old 06-26-2004, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS

"either one will yield 1 hp if you're lucky"
Is this really true? Because Stillen claims of 5 HP gains with it's cone filter and velocity stack.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:46 AM

What advanages, other than noise which I consider to be a disadvantage, is there from going with a hacked airbox and a K&N panel air filter vs no hacked airbox and K&N panel air filter?

I am not interested in hacking my airbox if all it does is give me more noise and no improvement in performance.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by rmurdoch
What advanages, other than noise which I consider to be a disadvantage, is there from going with a hacked airbox and a K&N panel air filter vs no hacked airbox and K&N panel air filter?

I am not interested in hacking my airbox if all it does is give me more noise and no improvement in performance.

Well be sides the extra sound, which sounds really good IMO, I do feel some improvement. Smoother throughout the RPMs, and especially noticeable in the low end.

Nick
Old 06-27-2004, 10:51 AM
will fly for food

I have hacked airbox w/ fram AirHog panel filter.. gives a nice sound, but as far as gains are concerned... i dunno. if there are any gains at all, it's not noticeable.. I think the improvement youre feeling is in your head...
Old 06-28-2004, 07:13 AM

I just did the hacked airbox mod yesterday the sound it's bad at all. I didn't cut the whole thing out, but about 3/4 of it. It felt a bit stronger when pulling past 3k rpm. I also cleaned the throttle body before doing the mod. This could be why my car pulls a little stronger and revs quicker. The sound is hardly noticeable under normal acceleration, when you step on it there is a mild growl coming from the airbox. I guess if I cut the whole thing out the growl will get noticeably louder. I'm still testing the setup to see if I like it. If not I will buy some fiberglass patch and fill the hole.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:44 AM

i got an Injen CAI and i felt gains right after i installed it...i dont know what you guys are saying that yall didnt feel any thing...stop being cheap and buy some parts
Old 06-28-2004, 08:18 AM

I've never seen the hacked air box for myself but I had my car dynoed with the stock intake and the Stillen velocity stack. The Stillen made more power throughout the entire RPM band with the biggest improvements above 4500 rpm. I don't have my dyno slip anymore but the improvement looked to come from a better a/f mixture with the Stillen. I think most people agree that a hybrid is the best intake - pop charger (anyones make) and then replace the mid-pipe (part after MAF before the throttle body). Good luck.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MomoMax98
...stop being cheap and buy some parts

To add up all the money I've spent on my car I would need the following:

-calculator
-people to remind me of all the parts that I forgot about
-a LARGE bowl to vomit in after I realize how much the total is

Friend of mine on here dyno'd his car and gained IIRC 3 peak hp, but lost in some areas so...

I speak from experience having had every intake you can think of on the fourth gen. It's a waste of money pretty much hp/dollar wise. It really just depends on what you want. If you are expecting actual power gains, then it's out of the picture, but if you just want a little growl(we all do deep down ) and to satisfy the VERY accurate butt dyno it's great.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Toolrocks
I've never seen the hacked air box for myself but I had my car dynoed with the stock intake and the Stillen velocity stack. The Stillen made more power throughout the entire RPM band with the biggest improvements above 4500 rpm. I don't have my dyno slip anymore but the improvement looked to come from a better a/f mixture with the Stillen. I think most people agree that a hybrid is the best intake - pop charger (anyones make) and then replace the mid-pipe (part after MAF before the throttle body). Good luck.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a stillen velocity stack a Short Ram intake? (They just use fancy wording). I purchased a short ram intake off ebay, and if I were to replace the cheap ebay cone filter with a K&N, wouldn't I be accomplishing the same thing that stillen is marketing?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MaxxAddict
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a stillen velocity stack a Short Ram intake? (They just use fancy wording). I purchased a short ram intake off ebay, and if I were to replace the cheap ebay cone filter with a K&N, wouldn't I be accomplishing the same thing that stillen is marketing?
not exactly, Stillens velocity stack is a large cone shaped funnel that mates the intake filter to the MAF smothening airflow and reduve turbulance. Most other short ram intakes just have a filter stuck to an adapter and usually have a flat "wall" where air has to go around to enter the MAF. Im not shure how much difference it actually makes but the idea makes sense
Old 06-29-2004, 06:56 AM

MaxxAddict The velocity stack does work to help smooth and speed up air across the MAF sensor. The Stillen and JWT both have a velocity stack that their respective filters attach to. It's not a fancy name, there is actually a working velocity stack.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes, but i really want to see those flow tests on the velocity stacks... Just to see that they are better.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:57 PM

So for sound purposes - go with PR style CAI or HAI?? I also want performance but I'll get that elsewhere. I don't want to lose performance though - will either hurt me? I've heard a few people who say stock airbox is better than intake which means intake is hurting them.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Power
So for sound purposes - go with PR style CAI or HAI?? I also want performance but I'll get that elsewhere. I don't want to lose performance though - will either hurt me? I've heard a few people who say stock airbox is better than intake which means intake is hurting them.
If your unshure then buy a CAI because if you get a CAI, you get both a CAI and HAI since you can just remove the lower cai pipe and it converts it into a short ram HAI. Its like buying 2 intake setups in 1 kit.