4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Assistance needed on clarification.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 10:42 AM

Assistance needed on clarification.

Hello All,

I am about to change my drive belts, and was reading the UPD mod installation to get a full understanding of what and how to change my drive belts but I have a few questions, if anyone can help me.

1) What are they acutally names of the belts that I need, I was going to buy them from the dearship but I'm sure I can shave off atleast $10 if I get it from a auto store, so what are the neames, I've heard " Serpentine Belts " I know I need 2 belts, I thought they were just called drive belts but it seems they have more specific names.

2) in the UDP installation documents it said :

The last thing you need is to have your crank pulley come flying off the engine during spirited driving. I also cannot stress enough the importance of belt tension. FOLLOW THE FACTORY MANUAL. For a new compressor belt the deflection should be 3.8-4.1 mm, and the power steering belt should be 6.5-7 mm. If you do not tension these belts properly they will squeak like a stuck pig!!

I (maybe like many others) dont have the factory manual, how do I adjust these belts, in checking online I saw a "belt tensioner assemble" is this the item I would need to tenstion the belts?

thanks for the help.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

First of all, are you installing a UDP or just changing belts on an OEM pulley?
-Cyrus
Old 07-04-2004, 01:23 PM

I'm just changing the belts on the OEM Pulley, I was using the UDP installtion write, to help me on how to change the belts.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:37 PM

Serpentine really describes an pulley setup, where one belt will run through many things (2 or more pulleys). The idea is that this is more practical since you do not need to run a belt for each accessory pulley (a non-serpentine setup). Therefore all of the belts for our cars are called serpentine belts.

I would suggest you get the OEM belts from Courtesy Nissan, where you can get 12% off (code = Maxima). However if you want to consider other brands, Bando makes the 6PK-1095 (alternator / air conditioning) and 4PK-0775 (power steering) belts. If you call up any auto parts store they can cross-reference these part numbers for you and give you an estimate. I'll tell you the two Bando belts run $23.99 + shipping from the site I got the numbers from. Good luck!
-Cyrus
Old 07-04-2004, 01:51 PM

Hey Cyrus,

thanks for the info that definately helped clear things up. I'll go with Nissan belts, just will be easier that way.

Do you know about the "tensioning" of belts and how I would go about doing that? I saw a tension assebly kit when I was online at advanceautoparts.com looking at belts, but they didnt have a discription,price nor, any instock.

thanks.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:03 PM

Your car has 2 tensioners - one that is to the left of the valve cover as you open the hood, and one lower down underneather the car. I am hoping you saw these spots when you saw the UDP write up. Anyways loosen these until you are able to take the belt off (it will be a lot of turns!), then replace the belts.

Here's what you do for belt tension. Tighten the belts so there are about 5mm of play with them with the tensioner. No need to buy a kit, just bust out a ruler and place it up to the belt at a certain spot. Now without moving the ruler, push down in that spot with medium force. There should not be more than 5mm of different between the relaxed point, and when you had tension on it.

That's all you need bud!
-Cyrus
Old 07-06-2004, 01:39 PM

Thank you very much Cyrus that was a big help you gave me, that was one of my main concerns, I didnt want the car squeeling or anything. I

believe I saw the 2 tensioners but I'll check again to make sure I have them right.

thank again!