4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C leak at pressure switch fittiing, how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 06:05 AM

A/C leak at pressure switch fittiing, how to fix?

Hey guys. I have a '99 SE with 111k on it. Tried my A/C (which I hardly ever use) about 2 weeks ago, wasn't working. I hadn't used it since last summer sometime, and even then maybe twice during the summer. Had 0 psi on the low pressure side. Recharged it, and it worked. Then it leaked over a week to where the compressor wouldn't come on any more (had about 15-20 psi on the low side).

In looking it over, there is a leak coming from one of the hoses/pipes going into the top of the low/high pressure switch. The metal canister next to the radiator, near the battery. There are two pipes going into the top of it, the leak is coming from the driver's-side fitting. I can see it bubbling up where the metal pipe comes out of the switch canister.

I tried tightening the bolts that seem to hold the two lines in place, that did nothing. How do I fix this? Would it be the switch that's leaking, or an o-ring on the metal pipe? It looks as though the bolt next to the line holds it in place, I don't know if the little arm that presumably would run from the bolt to the fitting for the pipe got weakened/bent, could that be causing this? I haven't tried to take anything apart yet, so I'm not sure how this goes together, my apologies if I'm misinterpreting how it goes together.

Thank you for your help!!