4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best 1.5" Drop on SE Struts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 02:20 PM

Best Springs on SE Struts?

H&R - Good Name
Maxspeed - Cheaper
Progress - Even Drop
Eibach - Performer

I have the money... to get any spring, but am in need of some help. Hopefully, I can get this worked out so I can buy them tomorrow!

Any help?
Old 07-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stock shock/struts will blow out with ANY lowering spring. The most you could count on would probably be 20k miles, but more likely like 5k. It would be best to just get some aftermarket struts or you should start saving for new ones. shocks are front and struts are rear (unless it's the other way around, I forget). You can get an even drop, what springs give it will depend on whether you are auto or 5spd. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:59 PM

im automatic... i know it is harsh to ride on blown S/S, but others do it and you know, right now Im not looking for the best. I'd like it, but can't afford it.

couldn't i just get the springs now, and in about a year or two upgrade S/S, or will I mess something up?

Does anyone have anything to say about the choices again, knowing im auto?
Old 07-11-2004, 03:04 PM

The struts on my SE are very old and are ready to blow real soon to begin with, so I went ahead and got Apex springs and GC's w/ Eibachs from a member for a very very good price. Nice 1.5" or so drop. I'm getting ready to order a set of KYB AGX GR2. I heard from many that they are the best for lowered application. I've heard too that the Tokico Blues and Illuminas don't do too well on lowered applications. If I had the money, I'd get the AGX adjustables (red) with GC's + Eibach springs. I've used Eibach's before and those are the springs I have stayed with for many years. So far my car's handling is more aggressive with a lil bit of the bounce more pronounced when you hit a dip doing 65mph or faster on the freeway...that's with the old soon-to-blow struts though.

jdm71488,

Driving on blown struts is bad for your back, you'll feel your sides jolt everytime you hit a dip or bump on the street. Bad in ways because you can really thrash the undersides of the car, not knowing what else you'll smash under there. Blown struts will tend to make them bottom out (hit) over dips and bumps. Now that, you'll feel on your bummm real good. After a few of those, you'd be begging for new struts I assure you. If money is the object, get the springs but don't install them. You will blow your struts in no time. After you have the money for the struts, then install them all at once. BTW, I believe you'll need an alignment after each strut removal and reinstallation. So why spend twice on alignment?
Old 07-11-2004, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2DaMax
I'm getting ready to order a set of KYB AGX GR2. I heard from many that they are the best for lowered application. I've heard too that the Tokico Blues and Illuminas don't do too well on lowered applications.
Who told you that? Illuminas and Konis are the only shocks that haven't ever blown. Even AGX get soft or blow, along with GR2s. And if you are running on GCs, they really won't last very long. Have you read what a lot of people on this forum call their bible? http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling

And about blown or weak shocks:

They don't just feel bad, they ARE bad. Your handling goes completely to crap. You might think it handles well, until you get good shocks and smack yourself in the head at how stupid you were before. Many members have admitted that on this forum.

Try putting a stock suspension maxima against one with lowering springs and stock shocks. The stock one will easily outcorner the modified one one bumpy surfaces. Bad shocks will not keep good tire contact with the ground and will generally cause dangerous cornering situations.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:49 PM

Nismo's friend who has the Illuminas have blown his. Konis are real good but too much hassle to install, so I'm told.

Originally Posted by drewm
Who told you that? Illuminas and Konis are the only shocks that haven't ever blown. Even AGX get soft or blow, along with GR2s. And if you are running on GCs, they really won't last very long. Have you read what a lot of people on this forum call their bible? http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling

And about blown or weak shocks:

They don't just feel bad, they ARE bad. Your handling goes completely to crap. You might think it handles well, until you get good shocks and smack yourself in the head at how stupid you were before. Many members have admitted that on this forum.

Try putting a stock suspension maxima against one with lowering springs and stock shocks. The stock one will easily outcorner the modified one one bumpy surfaces. Bad shocks will not keep good tire contact with the ground and will generally cause dangerous cornering situations.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:27 PM

2DaMax,
You may be confusing illumina's with HP's. The HP's are basically stock replacements and will blow fairly quickly. There have been several people lately saying their AGX's have blown while no one I've heard of (or at least very few) have blown illumina's.

jdm71488,
You certainly can run lowering springs on stock shocks, however you can't count on them lasting. If you decide on doing it, just be prepared to replace the shocks.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:33 PM

Ok, that's two people saying the same thing. I could possibly be wrong then but that's what I heard. I'll have to double check with Nismo.

Originally Posted by Terran
2DaMax,
You may be confusing illumina's with HP's. The HP's are basically stock replacements and will blow fairly quickly. There have been several people lately saying their AGX's have blown while no one I've heard of (or at least very few) have blown illumina's.

jdm71488,
You certainly can run lowering springs on stock shocks, however you can't count on them lasting. If you decide on doing it, just be prepared to replace the shocks.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:40 PM

I'm not saying nobodies blown illumina's, but there have been quite a few blown AGX's. Also you should consider what kind of drop Nismo has. If it's really low, then that would add to the stress on the shock. Overall I'd say illumina's are the best (aside from maybe koni's) that you can get.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:47 PM

well... i guess im saving for the tokico kit...
Old 07-11-2004, 05:53 PM

Very true, just finished reading the suspension bible via the link that drewm posted. Now I'm thinking twice about the AGX GR2's. I've been pricing the GR2's and the Adjustables. Now I'm wondering what's the price difference between the Tokico Illuminas and AGX adjustables.

I found the following AGX adjustables on ebay:
fronts:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
rears (the photo shows front struts though):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I'm not saying nobodies blown illumina's, but there have been quite a few blown AGX's. Also you should consider what kind of drop Nismo has. If it's really low, then that would add to the stress on the shock. Overall I'd say illumina's are the best (aside from maybe koni's) that you can get.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:03 PM

In this GD http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=322033, post 21, you can get AGX for $422 shipped and illumina's for $455 shipped. You could probably get both for a little cheaper, but not much. I'm thinking about getting illumina's and either H&R's or H-techs through that GD (probably H-techs since indications are that they ride even on 5spds while H&R's don't). Good luck with your lowering.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:22 PM

Thanks Terran,

When you say even ride, you mean how the car feels during weight shifts, such as when cornering to the left verses right? Or do you mean the drop height? If its the drop height, I won't have that issue since I already have the GC kit. Right now, the drop in the rear is about 1/2" higher than the front, I like it that way. I'll check out the GD thread.

In this GD http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=322033, post 21, you can get AGX for $422 shipped and illumina's for $455 shipped. You could probably get both for a little cheaper, but not much. I'm thinking about getting illumina's and either H&R's or H-techs through that GD (probably H-techs since indications are that they ride even on 5spds while H&R's don't). Good luck with your lowering.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:32 PM

I mean ride Height. With GC's you just need struts right? I'm not very familiar with them (too rich for my blood), so I'm not really sure what they do. If your just getting struts, then ride height won't change anyway. Also I think that "riding even" isn't exactly correct as it just means they will look even (so the rear will higher) because the wheel well is bigger on the front.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Basically, I have Apex springs in the front and GC in the back. My stock struts are very old and worn and I am getting a set of struts in a few weeks to replace the old ones before they blow. The GC slips over the shock body and sits on the spring seat towards the bottom end of the shock body. It's a threaded type of sleeve with an adjustment ring that rotates up and down the threaded body which then adjusts ride height. I have it adjusted to where 3 threads show below the adjustment ring. This gives me about 1/2" of height difference from the front. The Apex springs gave me a really nice drop in the front so I don't need it to be adjustable.

I mean ride Height. With GC's you just need struts right? I'm not very familiar with them (too rich for my blood), so I'm not really sure what they do. If your just getting struts, then ride height won't change anyway. Also I think that "riding even" isn't exactly correct as it just means they will look even (so the rear will higher) because the wheel well is bigger on the front.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

DO NOT GET LOWERING SPRINGS AND RUN THEM WITH STOCK SHOCKS!

seriously, wait and save up to get shocks too. When you were a kid, did you ever play on a Pogo stick? Well, imagine your car being suspended by 4 pogo sticks, because thats exactly what it is when the shocks blow and all damping is gone and the springs are left to their own devices. Its dangerous and stupid looking. Your tires will lose contact patch over bumps. Not so noticeable on a straight road, but hit a bump on a moderately sharp turn and theres a damn good chance you'll be picking windshield out of your face.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:05 AM

I remember when a friend of mine was acting stupid (years ago when we were all teenagers), he thought just because the car has lowering springs that it will drive like a race car. One day, my friend in his lowered car and blown struts, was driving on the freeway interchange showing off that his car can take the turn going faster than 65mph. Right before our eyes, he goes over a minor hump (saw his car bounced like a ball) and began to fish-tail and whaaaam....slammed against the barrier wall!!! Bye bye dummy. There's no excuse for ignorance and stupidity, but I'm glad he wasn't hurt nor killed anyone else.

Originally Posted by HybriDSM
DO NOT GET LOWERING SPRINGS AND RUN THEM WITH STOCK SHOCKS!

seriously, wait and save up to get shocks too. When you were a kid, did you ever play on a Pogo stick? Well, imagine your car being suspended by 4 pogo sticks, because thats exactly what it is when the shocks blow and all damping is gone and the springs are left to their own devices. Its dangerous and stupid looking. Your tires will lose contact patch over bumps. Not so noticeable on a straight road, but hit a bump on a moderately sharp turn and theres a damn good chance you'll be picking windshield out of your face.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:43 AM

well, i am DEFINATELY!!!!! going with the tokico kit, cuz of the lifetime waranty. i don't want to have to keep replacing S/S every 20k miles... so just do it right and get it over with.

the cheapest ive seen the kit for is 650, can i get it cheaper?
Old 07-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Project Ruby......

I have Illuminas with my Sprint Springs and none of them have blown. Granted it has only been about 2 months with them on, but they ride unbelieveable.

Call Custom Maxima up and mention VQPower.com's review and you'll get $30 off.
Old 07-12-2004, 04:39 PM

Ebay sometimes. Check the link I put in above for the struts (they don't have the springs listed but could probably add them to the GD...in fact , maybe I'll ask about that).
Old 07-12-2004, 06:32 PM
Doc

Do any of you fellas have any feedback you could share on Tein springs? Locally at least they are quite affordable, but I'm uncertain how they might perform with our cars.
Old 07-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Basically, I have Apex springs in the front and GC in the back.
With the stiff GCs in the back and less stiff apex springs in the front that's going to cause quite a bit of oversteer, or worse, snap oversteer. You sure you want to run different springs like that? Spring manufacturers ballance the front and rear rates to prevent bad handling conditions, they were never meant to be mixed and matched.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:04 PM
V^___^V

best spring to pair it up with ur SE shocks is my GXE springs at home so buy them for $20 right now.

j/k

listen carefully to drewm about suspension advice
Old 07-21-2004, 09:35 AM

Hmmm....I haven't noticed any. Of course, I don't corner like I'm in a formula1 race car. I have heared of a few people who mix springs like that, mostly to evenout the ride height front to back. I haven't noticed any ill-effects yet.

With the stiff GCs in the back and less stiff apex springs in the front that's going to cause quite a bit of oversteer, or worse, snap oversteer. You sure you want to run different springs like that? Spring manufacturers ballance the front and rear rates to prevent bad handling conditions, they were never meant to be mixed and matched.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:16 AM
VIP Maxima

progress is not 1.5", its 1.7"

dude u either do it right or dont do it at all. wth is this?
"im gonna get a small *** drop and ride blown shox because im broke and i cant afford to drop my max the proper way" are you kidding me?

dude i want to eat my burger but i dont have a stove to cook it. im just gonna leave in the sun till it warms up then put some salt, ketchup, mayo, ranch and mustard on it to avoid tasting that raw meat. oh ya, my bread is kinda old too. talk about a lunch !!

Old 07-21-2004, 11:40 AM

I was about to eat my burger til I read this. Talking about ruining it for ya! I guess I'll just go for sushi.

Originally Posted by 98SterlingMaxSE
progress is not 1.5", its 1.7"
.....dude i want to eat my burger but i dont have a stove to cook it. im just gonna leave in the sun till it warms up then put some salt, ketchup, mayo, ranch and mustard on it to avoid tasting that raw meat. oh ya, my bread is kinda old too. talk about a lunch !!
Old 07-21-2004, 02:13 PM

Hmmm....I haven't noticed any. Of course, I don't corner like I'm in a formula1 race car. I have heared of a few people who mix springs like that, mostly to evenout the ride height front to back. I haven't noticed any ill-effects yet.
Well, everyone says "but I don't drive hard" but the minute you have to swerve to avoid debris, another car, or a person, you'll end up with an out of control car heading toward a tree very very quickly.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:12 AM

I'll keep your advice in mind. I've had to do that recently, driving by a park, and a football came out of no where. Long story short, my Max and I are still in one piece. Driving experience does count for something too.

Well, everyone says "but I don't drive hard" but the minute you have to swerve to avoid debris, another car, or a person, you'll end up with an out of control car heading toward a tree very very quickly.