4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

antenna won't come out

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 04:38 AM

antenna won't come out

My power antenna had gotten a little dinged up this winter with the top part of the mast being bent which would not allow it to fully hide itself when lowered. I followed the advice of many and got a replacement for real cheap (about $12) and headed out to replace it on Saturday. The problem I came upon was that I can't get the old one to come out. I had everything apart and I think it just has a buildup inside that is keeping it from coming out upon turning the stereo on. I tugged on it a little but no luck. (I didn't want to yank on it for fear or ruining motor.) All I had around was WD-40 to try to get it loosened up but once again no luck.

I'm taking my car to the Nissan dealership tomorrow for a little work should I just ask them to pull the old one out and then I can replace it with the new one or is their a trick to getting this lodged antenna out?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-12-2004, 05:25 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Just take off the retaining nut on the outside of the antenna (on the rear quarter panel) and you should be able to pull the antenna out with a pair of needle nose pliers - when you pushed the bent mast back in to retract it completely, you've managed to jam the thing in there - and the motor is not strong enough to push it out...

If you don't know what I mean by retaining nut, post back and I'll dig out the link...
Old 07-12-2004, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
Just take off the retaining nut on the outside of the antenna (on the rear quarter panel) and you should be able to pull the antenna out with a pair of needle nose pliers - when you pushed the bent mast back in to retract it completely, you've managed to jam the thing in there - and the motor is not strong enough to push it out...

If you don't know what I mean by retaining nut, post back and I'll dig out the link...

The bent part of the mast is ok, it won't go back in that's why I am replacing it. I have taken the retaining nut off and the black cover below that so I can get right at the antenna. To replace the antenna your supposed to do this then turn the radio off then back on and it should just push itself out because the retaining nut is not holding it in. Mine unfortunately will not come out. I don't know if its gunked up inside or not but for some reason its just in there and I am afraid to pull on the antenna itself because I don't want to ruin the motor.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Do I get a tax break?

I got it now... when I replaced my mast, it never just came out when the motor pushed up. Let the motor extend the antenna as far up as it will go, then get a pair of pliers and just twist the antenna free from the housing - make sure you get a good bite with the pliers... it will come right out - there is a o-ring like seal just inside the housing (just below where the mast is inserted - you should see it on the new mast you have). You need to break that seal loose. You won't damage the motor by pulling/twisting on the mast.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by njmodi
I got it now... when I replaced my mast, it never just came out when the motor pushed up. Let the motor extend the antenna as far up as it will go, then get a pair of pliers and just twist the antenna free from the housing - make sure you get a good bite with the pliers... it will come right out - there is a o-ring like seal just inside the housing (just below where the mast is inserted - you should see it on the new mast you have). You need to break that seal loose. You won't damage the motor by pulling/twisting on the mast.

Sounds good, that was going to be my next way to attack the problem but before I did I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask around here just in case. I wasn't sure how fragile the motor was if I pulled/twisted it and I figured that someone here would know.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:43 AM
Do I get a tax break?

No probs.. let us know how it works out.