4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission fluid/oil level...how to check?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:30 AM

Transmission fluid/oil level...how to check?

Basically, after a week with my new '96 Maxima SE 5spd. it looks like I'll be getting a rebuilt tranny covered under the warrantee. Basically I want to drive my car, and the only things that I have to do to keep my car safe is to drive under reasonable acceleration, and make sure my "fluid levels are ok". That previous statement is as precise as the mechanic told my mother, so I can't really get any more info besides that. Other than the fluid reseviors (sorry for the spelling) that are under the hood, all of which have good fluid levels incl. engine oil, where else should I be checking, especially pertaining to my tranny. Any help would be great.

Louis

By the way, if this helps at all, the original problem was a bad driver side axle seal, and after trying to fix that twice, they've decided that there is something wrong w/ the actually tranny that is creating a lot of stress on these seals. Oh well, thanks for the help in advance.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:22 AM
Do I get a tax break?

Read the manual (if one was included with your car). They outline the location of the transmission dipstick and the correct procedure to check the level. Typically the transmission dipstick is similar to the oil level dipstick - usually the top is colored red.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm going to hafta read the owner's manual a little bit harder...I wasn't able to find it the first and second time through. Oh well, I'm gonna go look for that red top dipstick. Thanks
Lou
Old 07-22-2004, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

NO the red top dipstick is for an automatic not a 5spd like he stated he has.

There is a 1/2 drive head bolt in the front of your trans...get underneath and loosen that bolt...take it out and make sure the level it up, stick your finger in there and make sure the level it right up to the hole....top off and bolt it back up

-matt
Old 07-22-2004, 03:07 PM

Thanks matty...I was actually just getting back on the org to specify (I didn't know if I said that I had a 5 spd.). Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Originally Posted by matty
NO the red top dipstick is for an automatic not a 5spd like he stated he has.

There is a 1/2 drive head bolt in the front of your trans...get underneath and loosen that bolt...take it out and make sure the level it up, stick your finger in there and make sure the level it right up to the hole....top off and bolt it back up

-matt
Thanks for straightening that out... I did mean to state that the info. I provided was for an auto. However, I didn't know that the 5spds didn't come with any kind of dipstick.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:13 PM

That something wrong with the tranny is probably the very common differential bearing problem. Read the faqs for more info on this. You need to make sure when they rebuild it that they shim it correctly or it will just happen again (probably once your warrentee is over). Also read this http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/804.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:21 PM

Thank you Terran, I'll be looking at the forums again. The place I got the car from is replacing my tranny with a newly rebuilt one, so is that differential bearing still going to give me a problem, or is that going to be taken out along with my tranny and replaced with a repaired one? Thanks again.
Louis
Old 07-22-2004, 07:21 PM

It will be replaced, but they may have made the same mistake with the rebuilt one. Read that motorvate link for a better description, but essentially there is some part that is supposed to be shimmed to very exacting specifactions, but often isn't. You may want to say you want some other shop to rebuild your's or something and really ride them about it. Don't know if the dealership will go for this though. Or see if they will extend the warrentee on this specific problem or something. Also I believe the 98-99 tranny doesn't have this problem, or even better the 2000-2001. I have a post on this in the general section (http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=325741), it hasn't really gotten going yet but it might be a good resource for you once it does. I found out today that I have this problem too (I've suspected it for awhile, but it was pretty well confirmed today), I'm going to have to pay for the repair myself though. That may give me more say it what happens though, but see if you can get some sort of insurance from this happening when you're out of warrentee (whether it be an extended warrentee or a better tranny). Good luck.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:42 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation also. See, I'm kind of being left out of the loop on these car repairs. My mother was nice enough to travel 1 hr. away and sit there for 5 hrs. while the shop tried to fix my supposedly faulty seal, but unfortunately, the shop didn't tell her what they found out about the tranny and why the leak was happening. They just told her that a new tranny was needed, and would be replaced under warrantee. I hope to get into contact with the dealer, and hopefully am able to request a 98-99 5 spd. I don't think this guy would go for that idea (referring to having my tranny rebuilt privately)...he is one that pays "his people" almost in advance or has something worked out with them so that he loses money if they are not used. Oh well, I'm gonna try to get a 98-99. Thank you very much for the help/advice, and good luck with your tranny.
Lou
Old 07-23-2004, 06:59 AM

I have something else to add...after doing a little research on the differential bearing problems, it seems most of our cars are affected at a very early mileage...60xxx-80xxx...my car has 131xxx miles on the clock as of today. Is it still possible that this bearing could be the problem and that either it lasted as long as it did and/or the owner just neglected the problem?
Lou
Old 07-24-2004, 08:17 AM

It could be that, or maybe they replaced it at 60,000 and it's back again at another 60,000. Mine has 104,6xx and who knows how much longer it will last before it starts leaking really bad.