4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A/C compressor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 07:36 PM

A/C compressor

I have a 1995 Maxima, 5spd, with manual AC. The AC does not work as well as it used to, and it is not a charging problem, I checked. It seems it is time to get a new compressor. I have a couple questions, maybe some of you might have the answers.

Does all 4th generation Maximas have the same A/C compressor? If not, what does the 1995 have? (I don't have the car with me so I cannot check) Where can I get one for a reasonable price? What is the reasonable price?

What else do you recommend changing together with the compressor? Reciver/drier? (I remember I was told to change this as well back when I owned an Acura)

Is there a place I can get general info on AC compressor replacement on this forum? (I tried to search but it does not allow me.)

Thanks,
Bazsu
Old 07-26-2004, 01:13 PM

I don't know if all 4th gens have the exact same compressor but if there are differences they are very minor. The 4th gen uses a Calsonic (I believe) variable displacement compressor.

I would check prices at common Nissan discount parts dealers, i.e. Courtesy, Jerry Rome, and Conicilli (spelling?). I got one from Courtesy a couple of years ago for approx. $230 with Maxima.org discount. Make sure to ask for the discount it was sizable. I'm sure parts stores have have them as cheap/cheaper but from what I have read on other forums I would avoid these brands (mostly Murray, and Four Seasons).

I would reccoment changing the compressor, receiver/dryer, and expansion valve.

If you plan on doing the entire job youself you will need some specialized a/c tools that can be rather expensive. When I worked on my A/C I bought the tools and still saved more than $800 campared to estimates I had received. You'll need a set of guages, vacuum pump, line wrenches, etc. You can avoid the cost of some of these (guages, vacuum pump) if you have a shop charge the system after you replace the pump. Check with the shop and get specifics about who will flush the system and add oil, etc.

Wither you decide to do it yourself or not you should check out www.aircondition.com for lots of good information about servicing automotive a/c systems and what is involved. Even if you have someone else do the work you'll be a wiser consumer with your newfound knowledge.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:50 PM

Thank you for your advice. I was looking into it, and it seems the 95 Maximas have a Calsonic CWV618 A/C compressor. I am not a 100% positive though, because some sites list this compressor form 96 on, and does not list anything for the 95 modell (???). Has anyone else worked on it before?

I have never worked on a Nissan A/C system before, but I have some experience on Acura and Honda, so I have some general knowlegde.

Where is the expansion valve located on the Maxima? Does anyone know? On the Acura it was right before the evaporator under the dash, so it was a pain to get it out. I hope it is easier to get to here.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
Boosted Panda

You NEED to call the dealer.
I can tell you right now, for my 96 there are multiple compresors used.
In order for me to get the right on I had to go by my production date, not the year of my car but the actual production date which was 7/95.

BobK
The differences were minor, but they were different. So different that the AC lines would not seal completly causing the refrigerent to leak out completly.
So you basicly should match up the part numbers.
I learned this the hard way.

Also, I would definalty go with a dealer unit, their more reliable although they cost more.
Old 07-26-2004, 03:56 PM

Flushing the system can be an important step if the compressor has failed completely, because it can send fragmented parts through the system.

The expansion valve is located inside the evaporator housing. Remove the glove box, then remove the four (I think) evaporator housing screws. Unbolt the two refrigerant lines at the firewall and the housing will slide out. You can then open up the housing at a convenient place to replace the expansion valve and flush the evaporator.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:10 PM

Thank you guys for your input.

I called the dealer today. He gave me a part number: 92600-4U00. Unfortunately he could not tell me if it is the same as the Calsonic CWV618 (???) since they go by different part numbers than the manufacturer. He also said that the 95 Maximas can come with two different compressors. So I am back to where I started. I'll keep looking, and let you know.

At least I foud out about the location of the expansion valve. Thanks.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by bazsu
Thank you guys for your input.

I called the dealer today. He gave me a part number: 92600-4U00. Unfortunately he could not tell me if it is the same as the Calsonic CWV618 (???) since they go by different part numbers than the manufacturer. He also said that the 95 Maximas can come with two different compressors. So I am back to where I started. I'll keep looking, and let you know.

At least I foud out about the location of the expansion valve. Thanks.

You have to go by your production date of the car. Located inside the door.
The calsonic part number is the same part number the dealer uses.