4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

headlight bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 11:25 AM

headlight bulbs

What headlight bulbs do you guys prefer i know in my past experience i tried out some off brand s*** and it lasted about a month. i am just wondering what some of you use that you get a great look and life out of the bulb for the money. thanks. Also i read on the max here that you can do a headlight conversion to 9007 what is the easiest and most effective way without messing up the wires two much. I definitely dont want to take a bulb apart and build it from the ground up like that post says. is their some kind of adapter you can buy for the wires.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is a bit of a hassle if you are a newbie (Me!). After the conversion, the lighting and beam is not too bad. The headlight needs to be re-aim a bit lower. I order a ntbk 9004/9007 harness kit from ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6763

Here's what I did:
I didn't splice the stock headlight socket. I did it on harness kit "mating" socket. Maxima10to1 mention to do it on the stock headlight socket. I guess his way work and my way works also. It doesn't matter where you swap the ground and low beam, as long as you do it.

- remove the two nub on the headlights. Use a nail filer or anything to get rid of it is fine. Get a can of compress air and spray the headlight housing clean of the dust. Headlight does not need to be remove to get the nub out.

- Lay out the harness on the engine. Make sure the wires don't get near the fan and tie it down when everything is complete. I just connected the harness matting socket to the driver side (near the battery)

-If i can do this, i can easily say anyone can. Like everyone on the .Org who did the conversion say "Plug and Play"

- When i first ground the wires, i didn't do a good job. The headlight were not as bright, I re-ground the wires to the battery and to the horn. After the two wires are ground, you will see the full picture.

Now I have a question, I heard alot of people using Sylvnia Xtravision 9007 ($10) bulb. Is there any bulb other than Silverstar ($20) that gives you a really bright light output? (same price range) I have been using silverstar 9004 for years now. The only problem is the brightness just goes away after a while. I don't like the xtravision orange look. Prefer a whiter look. Anyone know if the ebay bulb are any good?

Any recommendation is appreciated.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:55 PM
THT
Throbbing member

I just clipped the low and ground wires, spliced them to one another to switch them and filed down the nubs inside the housing; it's a 10 minute job and very easy. If you buy an adapter, you'll kick yourself for wasting the money (unless you're running higher wattage bulbs).

~THT
Old 07-26-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I guess I'm just crazy from building the harness from scratch Do as THT said and thats all the wiring needed. Its the cheapest and easiest way.....but i never take that route. As I mentioned B4 the Xtravisions are really bright, but if you can find Phillips Vision Plus buy them. The yare the brightest bulb around.