4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

corner lights?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:40 PM

corner lights?

i know this has been asked prob a million times buts i cant seam to find it anywhere i guess im not looking hard enough but i know i have read it before..

All i want to know is how to make the corner lights (next to the head lights) not yellow... more clear.. Do i just changed the bulb?

thanks for your help
Old 07-28-2004, 10:57 PM

I have PIAA 9004/H3 Xtreme White pluses and i've spent the last week buying 1157's to try and match them to my bulbs the best I could. I tried...

polarg hyper whites -> very blue
xenon chrome plated -> still very blue
some regular 1157 -> much better then blue, but I don't like yellow
i went with some regular ol' GE amber 1157's for 2.50 a pair.

*empties wallet for polargs/xenons* jeez. don't waste your money on those.

anyways, once you decide on which color you want; they will still be dim no matter what. the 1157 is a dual filament 27w/8w bulb, and the stock harness/socket use only the 8w filament. What you do is look at the metal bottom half of the 1157, and there are two "nubs" around the outside, one higher then the other. These are used for securing the bulb in place inside the socket.

you take fingernail clippers and clip off the upper nub, and get it as flush with the metal as possible. use a piece of electrical tape just longer then the diameter of the metal and wrap it around covering the nub you just clipped, but NOT covering the lower nub.

now go outside and take off your clearance lights (everyone says its hard but IT IS NOT. it takes about 30 seconds if you do it correctly. use a flathead screwdriver with a cloth and pry it open just a little bit away from the headlight, don't do it too hard you dont want to break anything. you should be able to see inbetween the clearance light and headlight, now you can see the small rectangle protruding from the engine compartment (its black) with a white connector from the clearance light going into it (ball socket with a white round ring flush against the black holder for the ball). Take the towel off of your flathead, and put it inbetween that ball/socket and twist. once it pops just pull it right off and it comes right out with ease.)

now, take out the existing 1157 bulb. look inside the socket that was holding it, you'll see the two different height guides that the nubs go into. the only reason this mod works is because the base that the bottom connection makes is spring loaded, so what you do is simply put it in "backwards" so the lower nub of the bulb sits in the spot where the higher nub would have originally been; and it still makes a connection on the base because of the spring loaded socket. the electrical tape is good for securing it in place. if you used too much it might not go in, but I never had a problem with that.)

flip on the lights before you put it all back together to make sure it works, and you're done. I changed mine to the ambers this morning and I did it in record time while my microwave macaroni was cooking, under 5 minutes to get my tools and do it and come back inside.