4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

96 SE steering feels too light - what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 05:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

96 SE steering feels too light - what can I do?

I like my used 1996 Maxima SE, but the steering feels too light (not enough road feel or feedback) even compared to other '96 SEs I've driven. Later models have speed sensitive steering, I think. Would that have been a better choice? Would it help (or even be possible) to have a speed sensitive unit installed in my '96? Are there other solutions? The car is completely stock and only for ordinary street use.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome to the ORG. I would suggest trying to search, but it's disabled for non-donating members.

A couple of years ago there was a thread regarding too-light steering. Several people, me included, felt that our steering was a little floaty at higher speeds. Someone dug up some information on steering rack "pre-load," or the amount of effort it takes to move the rack back and forth. This pre-load is apparently adjustable, but not many people (ie, garages and most dealerships) know how to test and/or adjust.

See if you can track down this technical service bulletin (TSB): "98-042 OCT 98 Steering Rack - Pull/Drift Diagnosis & Repair." You might have some success with your dealership locating the TSB and/or checking your steering rack. I just live with it; it's not significant enough to pursue repair / replacement.

Hope this helps.
TOM
Old 07-31-2004, 06:22 PM

To: TOM_98se

Your suggestion about the technical service bulletin for my concern with excessively light steering is much appreciated. I will definitely follow up with the local dealer. Even if there's not much to be done, I enjoy knowing a little more about the car.

Thanks again for your quick and on-target help. This kind of resource makes owning this car a lot more fun.

Originally Posted by tom_98se
Welcome to the ORG. I would suggest trying to search, but it's disabled for non-donating members.

A couple of years ago there was a thread regarding too-light steering. Several people, me included, felt that our steering was a little floaty at higher speeds. Someone dug up some information on steering rack "pre-load," or the amount of effort it takes to move the rack back and forth. This pre-load is apparently adjustable, but not many people (ie, garages and most dealerships) know how to test and/or adjust.

See if you can track down this technical service bulletin (TSB): "98-042 OCT 98 Steering Rack - Pull/Drift Diagnosis & Repair." You might have some success with your dealership locating the TSB and/or checking your steering rack. I just live with it; it's not significant enough to pursue repair / replacement.

Hope this helps.
TOM
Old 07-31-2004, 06:30 PM
Kevlo for President

I don't know if you have done this, but if you read the all the "stickies" at the top of hte 4th gen fourm, it will help you learn alot of this car.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:40 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Nissan changed the steering rack on the 97+ SE models only for better feel and slightly less assist. You can swap out the rack. Otherwise for a more reasonable solution you can swap out the sway bar and endlink bushings w/ polyurethane ones. There is less slop so your steering will feel a bit stiffer. It made a difference on my 97 SE, and it helped reduce the wheel vibration as well. Its a very easy DIY job.

You can buy them from http://www.courtesyparts.com/energys...on/maxima.html or just use the part numbers and go to www.suspension.com and give this guy a call.

Another would be a $10 strut bar from ebay. It helped my steering a bit too by stiffening the front end so there's less vibrations going through the steering wheel. Very cheap and easy DIY solutions.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:22 PM

Thanks to kevlo911 for referring me to the "stickies." I've been reading through them and dreaming of prying things apart that I had probably better not, but it's fun to see the possibilities.

Eye Dirty confirmed my sense that the two '99 SEs and one '97 SE that I drove had a different steering feel. Remembering the cost of replacing the steering rack on my old 1980 Volvo when I had no choice, I guess I will put off this solution, though it's tempting. The polyurethane bushing idea seems like it would have multiple benefits and be much cheaper.

A question about the strut bar mod. Do these things just bolt on or do you have to drill mounting points? There's probably already info on maxima.org about this, but if you have personal experience with your '97, I'd value your advice.

Thanks for these ideas. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:33 PM

The strut bar is a bolt on. If you open your hood, you'll see the strut towers right on top of the wheels. You'll have to remove the 3 bolts on each side (DO NOT touch the center one since it'll release the suspension components). Real easy to do: https://maxima.org/modules.php?name=FSTB
Old 07-31-2004, 08:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The strut bar definitely helps tighten up the steering a little. I also noticed the steering was much tighter when i got aftermarket springs and struts.