4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So I got my car back...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 11:01 PM

So I got my car back...

Just FYI, this is another praise for maxima post, so if you're tired of reading these threads, move along. For others, enjoy my lame-in the middle of the night-and see if I care-english

Ok, story started few weeks ago, when an old lady tried to do a hit and run on my car. While backing out of the parking lot, she 'accidentally' hit my back left door, looked at it from the inside and tried to drive away. At which I was very surprised...and so, having my eyes looking something like this O.O I literally ran after her (just cause I didn't feel like doing hot pursuit after an 80 year old lady with air tubes (guess she was to old to breath or just sick) sticking out of her nose). So anyways, I finally got a hold of her few feet later (good thing she wasn't hard on the gas and I'm still young to run out of breath) and got some of her information, scared that poor thing would pass out on me and I'd have to call the medics. With whatever I could get I called up my insurance company and told them what happened.
The got right on my case and started to call up Mrs. Ys insurance company (I'll keep this thread confidential and with no names). The sad thing is that since Mrs. Ys car had big old metal bumper, her vehicle didn't suffer any damage at all, while my entire back left door had to be changed. So, moving on with the insurance company and blah blah blah stuff, there I am, dropping off my car to finally get repaired at a good body shop (I went to Nissan dealership and asked them, where they fix their cars at), I was also told that I will be provided a rental of equal value or whatever they call it. In the beginning, I was pretty happy about that, so no worries, the Hertz rental personal should pick me up at body shop and drive me to their business location to fill out all papers and get me a brand new car (for 5 business days, since that’s what Body shop said it will take them to fix the door AKA get new one and charge insurance a whole 1800 dollars for it). While I'm sitting in the body shop, trying to imagine "What kind of car I want for rent...and I'm only 20...Mmmm". At that moment, a Brand new 4 door Chevy Cavalier rolls up
So I'm like "Eh...that’s not an 'equal' type of car" yet body shop guys still try to tell me "Oh no, that’s not your car, they'll get you a better one"
And off I go, to the Hertz to get a new car for rent. Getting there, to my surprise, they tell me that THAT Cavalier IS the only car they have for me (now...I’m 6'4"...so ) to which I tell me "You know, it'll be REALLY hard for me to get into THAT little car, and Body shop promised me something equal to my V6, SE, All Power, 4 Door family sedan size, good old Japanese (just don’t like American cars) fast car, and not a "WTF" is that mobile.

Now this part is probably selfish, but what the heck. Me talking with the Hertz Rep.
"You know, if not for that old lady who didn't see where she was going, and not for the body shop which has to take car for repairs, and not for the insurance who didn't really wanna pay up, I wouldn't have been here right now, but instead driving my MAXIMA which has everything I always wanted in it. So how about you get me something better instead of the "WTF" mobile?"

And it worked, they upgraded me to the '04 Chevy Impala (which is still American, but sure beats Cavalier).
So yea, was pretty happy with that, get all the paper work done and move on with my life. First impression of the car when I got in it "Wow, this is BIG inside" I mean, felt like sitting in a lux tank, with leather and all, but controls were terrible, wheels is to high up, the entire front panel is also to high up, rear view mirror is pretty small, and everything just feels bulky and eats up a lot of gas....but still better then Cavalier.
After driving for a day, I call up that Hertz location and ask them "You guys got anything new, I cant really see well in the small rear view mirror, so if you do, let me know, specially if its something Japanese" ... (flashback, they also tried to give me Ford Taurus instead of Impala)

Later on that day, they do give me a call and say that my insurance also covers '04 Toyota Solara, which I gladly exchange for Impala I have been given. Now, in my opinion, Solara is a semi sporty car (they only had red ones )
Since it took body shop about 11 business days instead of 5 to fix my car, I had a chance to really ride out that Solara. It has MUCH MUCH better inside then Impala, as well as the handling, the rear view mirror and just overall better feel. So blah blah, there I am, putting 1400 miles on that car and today I had to return it for my Maxima (which FINALLY....FINALLY after long while got one damn door replaced...i found a 98 maxima door on ebay for $45 and should have probably done it myself faster). So after driving this so called sporty nice looking 04 Solara I get in my Maxima, and OMG.

Finally, part you all been waiting for
Words cannot describe joy and happiness of driving a good old 98 SE stick maxima after all those other cars. Everything is small compared to other cars, yet, there is so much room (it felt much smaller compared to even Solara, which was smaller inside then Impala) Changing gears and feeling car accelerate at even little push of the pedal. Controls all easily accessible with easy layout and nicely placed out. Dashboard with cute and basic round White and Black gauges and fun-to-drive stick shift (had Autos for rental) and with much more comforts, I must say, that even to this day, even compared to newer, “better looking” models, this car kicks @$$ and there’s no point of driving something else (unless its G35 Coupe).

To anyone who read this, … wow, good job, I didn’t think many of you would make it to this point And to those who are still looking for a new car and thinking about Maxima, just get one and see what people are talking about!

Good night

P.S.: I sucked at writing essays in school =/
Old 08-02-2004, 11:10 PM

I love to read these happy ending maxima stories I feel the same way every time I get into my car.. The perfect car for me
Old 08-02-2004, 11:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree, I love my Maxima... even though I have been eyeing the 04.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:35 PM

I felt the same way when I went back from a 95 Maxima GLE that I drove for a year back to my 88 Acura Legend. Then again, the Maxima was an auto and the Legend was a manual so its an apples to oranges comparison.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:57 AM

All Hail The Maximas!!!!!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:56 AM

Ha ha, I love free rental cars from the insurance though. I had rental car coverage when my previous car was totalled hit and run. It's a nice feeling that even though I only got 3 grand for my car from insurance, I milked the rental car insurance for pretty much $1000. Plus, I got to drive a brand new jeep liberty around while I was looking for a car. Two words, power braking.. ha ha
Old 08-03-2004, 09:01 AM

heh, i know what you mean about gettin back into your max. I drive underpowered crummy little cars all day at work, and at the end of the night i get into my max and it's like night and day.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:46 AM

Ha, you should try driving those little underpowered cars for a week and then get in a maxima, you'll get a same feeling like the first day you got it

Also, after driving Auto for few weeks, stick is SOOOOOOOO much better and MUCH more fun