4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Both Rear Calipers Locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 07:58 AM

Both Rear Calipers Locked

Hi,

I have a 98 Maxima SE (5-speed). A few days ago, i noticed a burning smell from rear wheels, seemed like the brakes. The parking brake seemed ok, so I took it for someone to take a look at it.
The verdict was both rear calipers are jammed, and need to be replaced (in addition, rotors and brake pads got really hot, and rotors are too thing to salvage, so they will have to be replaced).

My question is what causes both rear calipers to go at the same time. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2004, 10:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by vvslavavv
Hi,

I have a 98 Maxima SE (5-speed). A few days ago, i noticed a burning smell from rear wheels, seemed like the brakes. The parking brake seemed ok, so I took it for someone to take a look at it.
The verdict was both rear calipers are jammed, and need to be replaced (in addition, rotors and brake pads got really hot, and rotors are too thing to salvage, so they will have to be replaced).

My question is what causes both rear calipers to go at the same time. Is this a common problem? Anything I can do to prevent it?

Thanks
It's highly unlikely that both calipers would lock up at the same time. I would take a much closer look at the front cable of the handbrake. that cable connects to the left and right handbrake cables so that there is equal pressure on each side. Sounds like that cable is not releasing all the way. The handbrake will feel ok when you pull it up(if not better) because the pads are a little bit closer to the rotors.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:34 AM

Hey,

So it wasn't the e-brake cables. They did replace both calipers, everything works great! So any ideas what could cause both calipers to lock up? (b/c they didn't do anything to the e-brake cable)
Old 08-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

just did my rear calipers & pads. one was actually bad (hard to turn the piston back into the caliper), the other was hanging up because the slide pin at the bottom of the caliper froze up(lubrication dried up) and I only checked the one on top for free movement. bought a new caliper and put it on, only to realize what had happened. my point is little things can be overlooked and cost you more than it should have. now i have 2 new painted calipers that i'll check carefully when the brakes are done again.