4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rewiring bumper lights and clearance lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

rewiring bumper lights and clearance lights

Does anyone know if its possible to rewire the lights on a 96 max so that the clearance lights become the directionals and directionals become clearance? I was putting in silverstars when I figured I'd put amber in the clearance lights and I like how it looks but I would like to make everything in the front white and everything on the sides amber; like headlights, front bumber light, and foglight white while the directional and clearance are amber. If anyone has any suggestions/comments/help lemme know
Old 08-21-2004, 09:06 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

yea its all do able. I have done many light mods, from the regular always bright corner light, to both marker ligt and blinker blinking at the same time, to blinker, corner light, and marker light staying lit with the clearance light being the blinker. Its not too hard, you just need to rewire them, meaning swapping the wires.

This is what i call the unison blink:

The lights are blinking together no matter what.

This is the every friggin light is on mod:

The parking lights are on which turns on all the amber lights you see and the blinker is the 27 watt (bright) filament of the corner light (the one next to the headlight).

Not hard at all.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima10to1
yea its all do able. I have done many light mods, from the regular always bright corner light, to both marker ligt and blinker blinking at the same time, to blinker, corner light, and marker light staying lit with the clearance light being the blinker. Its not too hard, you just need to rewire them, meaning swapping the wires.

This is what i call the unison blink:

The lights are blinking together no matter what.

This is the every friggin light is on mod:

The parking lights are on which turns on all the amber lights you see and the blinker is the 27 watt (bright) filament of the corner light (the one next to the headlight).

Not hard at all.
is there a write-up anywhere that instructs how to have all the lights on when turning on parking lights and to have both bumper lights to act as a turn signal as well? if not, is there a quick way to summarize it?
Old 08-22-2004, 07:52 AM

So I actually swap the wires? I wasnt sure since I know the bulbs are different sizes so I was not sure if I should use relays or just physically move the wires. What I want to do is amber on the clearance and side bumber light and clear on the front bumper light, headlights, fogs. Then I want the directional on the clearance and the bumber amber always on. I dont suspect it will be too hard I'm just unsure about swapping wires since the bulbs are different sizes. Thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

i tried switching the wires when i wired my clearence lights to blink, but it didn't work. ended up switching the two bulb assemblies.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

The side marker will stay stock so leave it be. Take the blinker wire (not sure the color) cut it off near the blinker bulb and bring it up to the corner light. Cut the clearance light wire, not the parking light wire...it should be the same color as the side marker, red and blue i believe, so cut the other one. Then bring down the clearance light to the blinker. Dont cut any grounds, you just need to swap the 12+ volt wires really. Its only 2 wires on each side. Should be cake.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:17 AM

Have you seen my webpage on making the front blinkers light up woth 1157's?
Here it is

Jack
Old 08-23-2004, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JacksMax
Have you seen my webpage on making the front blinkers light up woth 1157's?
Here it is

Jack
Jack your page is very helpful... I appreciate your responce, im planning on doing this today. Thanks again