4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

knock sensor driving me crazy!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 11:09 PM

knock sensor driving me crazy!!!

ok here is what happened i finally got my ks after waiting and tonight i went at it with a universal 1/4" swival and 12mm socket like everyone says and i push the wires on the ks down to see exacly where im putting this socket and snap i broke a damn wire off the harness. i was ****ed!!!! but i redeemed myself and tryed to get the sensor out anyway but with the universal swival you cant get the ratchet high enough to make the thing work when you twist...so there goes that idea. then i just said f*ck it ill just use a wrench so i got a regular 12mm wrench little do i know that the open end wont give me enough room to turn the thing because the bolt into the ks is at just the wrong spot where it wont work so i turn it around and use the 12 point closed end....WRONG MOVE!! i stripped the head on the ks bolt hardcore and now im just f'ed i dont know what else to do so i am going to just go to nissan monday morning and hopfully they can put in my ks i already bought and then replace my harness that i broke off lol, does anyone know an estimate of how much this might cost? im hoping it will only be one hour of work so like $70 or somthing...i hope p.s. am i the only one this has happened to!?!? seems like everyone else is all easy 30 min jobs
Old 08-21-2004, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by joosdawg
ok here is what happened i finally got my ks after waiting and tonight i went at it with a universal 1/4" swival and 12mm socket like everyone says and i push the wires on the ks down to see exacly where im putting this socket and snap i broke a damn wire off the harness. i was ****ed!!!! but i redeemed myself and tryed to get the sensor out anyway but with the universal swival you cant get the ratchet high enough to make the thing work when you twist...so there goes that idea. then i just said f*ck it ill just use a wrench so i got a regular 12mm wrench little do i know that the open end wont give me enough room to turn the thing because the bolt into the ks is at just the wrong spot where it wont work so i turn it around and use the 12 point closed end....WRONG MOVE!! i stripped the head on the ks bolt hardcore and now im just f'ed i dont know what else to do so i am going to just go to nissan monday morning and hopfully they can put in my ks i already bought and then replace my harness that i broke off lol, does anyone know an estimate of how much this might cost? im hoping it will only be one hour of work so like $70 or somthing...i hope p.s. am i the only one this has happened to!?!? seems like everyone else is all easy 30 min jobs

30 mins for everyone without a cali spec. you had it right with teh 1/4 " universal, just make sure you got a good one and once you get it on the bolt turn like hell, and hope the bolt breaks loose before your extension. heres a link how i did it. as far as the stripped bolt goes, you can try those sockets that grip the sides of the bolts instead of the points.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=315851
Old 08-22-2004, 12:30 AM

i actually have the grip socket things for stripped bolts but the sockets are too deep to fit under the intake manifold so that crosses that off also if you recall i broke my wire out of the harness so that kinda f's me over i think im just gonna go to nissan on monday and hope for the best as all i have is the money i was gonna use for underdrive pulley
Old 08-22-2004, 10:20 AM

Ohhhh ouch.. I did a write up on the KS a while back too.. Glad to see im not the only one with the KS on to about a million foot pounds.. What I did was used a 1/4 inch socket like yourself but I made about a three foot long extension and removed the air box. Sure there wasnt alot of room to move the ratchet but I pushed that that bish for everything I had and finally snap.. the bolt came off. I think if its really stripped they may have to remove the intake manifold the way the haynes manual describes it to get at it.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:22 PM

yea sense ive been using the universal swival with the 12mm socket i think im gonna go to home depot today and pick up a 12mm swival cause supposedly that should give me the right angle to crack the f*cker loose right? cause right now the extensions wont go up high enough to be able to turn the ratchet its stupid
Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah 12mm swivel makes it MUCH easier, i couldnt do it with a universal and 12mm so i wetn with the 12mm swivel after wasting an hour and a ahlf, took me 20 minuets with the 12mm swivel
Old 08-22-2004, 12:41 PM

wow thanks for the info man thats awsome now i just have to worry about the damn harness and puting it back together after i accedently pulled the wire out...i think?? ill have to check it out
Old 08-22-2004, 05:59 PM

wow I am never going to attempt another knock sensor install on cali spec max. Me and my uncle tried to tighten the bolt down on the knock sensor for a good 3 hours. After about 2 and a half hours we got the bolt in but it was going in cross ways. We were afraid of stripping out the threads so we backed it out and called it a night. We were using a universal and a 12mm socket. Maybe that is our problem???? I am probably going to go to Nissan in the morning if I cant find a 12mm universal socket. Man this really can make a sane person go insane!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Try sears tool section. I don't think you will find that at Home depot.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by williamgd2
Try sears tool section. I don't think you will find that at Home depot.
I'm sure that would've helped him 5 years ago, when he posted in this thread.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 PM

Haha its never too late for great advice

But it took me an hour to replace my KS only because I had to invent a way to use a small ratchet and a large metal file, but Pmohr's videos help a lot, so basically I used Pmohr's method only with different tools.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by joosdawg

Aw man...if u let nissan do it then its gonna cost a grip. I got it estimated at a dealer and costs around 600 bucks for the KS from nissan and labor. Thats what prompted me to do it myself. THat and pics on the Org.

Long story short, I was able to remove the KS bolt. I tried all the swivels and U-Joints. What finally worked for me: PB blaster, a 12mm wrench with the closed end on the bolt and a long extension arm in open end. I used the intake manifold as a pivot point for the extension arm and torqued that bish till it finally moved. Gotta get innovative man lol
Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

+1 on the PB Blaster. Spray that stuff in there on the KS and give it a chance to work. It will loosen that ks up so you brake that b***ch!!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:15 PM

I didn't have to use PB blaster, it seriously took me like 15-20 minutes total.

Having the right tools is key.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Coolsaber57
I didn't have to use PB blaster, it seriously took me like 15-20 minutes total.

Having the right tools is key.
+1

Takes me about 10 mins now. My first time ever took me a few days lol.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM

You guys are great.

I got so frustrated trying to get the KS out a few years ago a took the new one back. Which, by the way, I'm now glad I did since I took the org's advice and bought one off ebay for $22 shipped.

Anyway, just got back from Sears picking up a 1/4" 12mm swivel and a long extension. Last time I was trying a 3/8" with a universal swivel joint and a 12mm socket. It's 5 degrees out, but I had to give this 1/4" a shot. I just put in on the bolt, turned hard and pop, the thing came right out. Too cold to try and get the old KS off the harness and the new one in...will do that tomorrow. I just hope I can get my hands in there to grab the thing and not drop the bolt!
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 PM

when i did my 00vi i took the bolt out and put anti-seize on it so i wouldnt have to worry about getting a huge breaker bar
but i also can take my lim off in about 30 minutes now so i never really worried anyway.
hanes+nissan way>busted knuckles to me personally, but i get my fair share.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:46 PM

Just finished replacing my knock sensor on my 98 maxima. I bought on ebay for $48 from tennesseeautosales. Its oem so I had piece of mind knowing it was stock. There are two things that i definetly needed to do the job. One was a swivel socket wrench and two was PATIENCE, PATIENCE, and PATIENCE. I have very large hands so it was impossible for me to fit my hands into that small space. And I was not about two start taking apart other components. The only thing i did disconnect was the one green sensor so id have a little more work space but not much more. Taking off the screw was not bad but it would be impossible if I didnt have the swivel wrench and extensions. The most difficult part of the job was putting the sensor back into place. Since the sensor has a hole in the center for mounting, I used a hanger through that hole to reach the sensor into place. I bent the hanger at an angle that would allow me to put the end of the hanger into the engine block hole for mounting. Then the next challenge was to put the screw into the hole of the sensor and screw it into the enging block without the screw falling out of socket and displacing the sensor from position. What i did to keep the screw on socket? I put a plastic sheet on the head of screw so it fit snug into the socket(cut excess plastic so i can see). It worked great! It didnt fall out and allowed me to reach and put the screw into place. After taking breather to regain my patience and focus, i started to slowly turn the wrench until it FINALLY grab to the engine block. The job took me a total of about 2-2.5 hours. Thanks to all you guys my fellow maxima enthusiast I was able to complete the job. Great info guys