4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

rear brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 09:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

rear brake calipers

Hello everyone. I'm a new subscriber, trying to help my cousin who actually owns a 96 Nissan Maxima. Being a member of other lists, I tried to read the FAQ's and help on rear disc brakes for these cars, but the link in the "how to" is broken. Also, I can't "search" for some reason, making it equally frustrating.

I know this question was probably asked and answered 100 times, so I apologize in advance. How do you adjust the pistons on the rear brakes? I know they screw-in as opposed to being pushed like the fronts, but I did not see anything that would adjust them. Do you need a special tool to lock onto the grooves of the piston, or is there an hex wrench type adjustment from somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your understanding and help!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:24 AM

There is a $10 brake piston tool you can get at any auto parts store, it looks like a silver cube. It has nubs on it to fit a variety of brake pistons, and it works well. You stick a 3/8" ratchet in one of the square holes on the sides and twist away.

Some people have been successful at using a pair of needlenose pliers to turn the piston. I tried that...it's much easier with the right tool.

Originally Posted by mark b
Hello everyone. I'm a new subscriber, trying to help my cousin who actually owns a 96 Nissan Maxima. Being a member of other lists, I tried to read the FAQ's and help on rear disc brakes for these cars, but the link in the "how to" is broken. Also, I can't "search" for some reason, making it equally frustrating.

I know this question was probably asked and answered 100 times, so I apologize in advance. How do you adjust the pistons on the rear brakes? I know they screw-in as opposed to being pushed like the fronts, but I did not see anything that would adjust them. Do you need a special tool to lock onto the grooves of the piston, or is there an hex wrench type adjustment from somewhere?

Thanks in advance for your understanding and help!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Sorry but I lost most of my "how to" pages when my ISP deleted them... I did relocate the one that is still good:
http://webpages.charter.net/chunger/Rearbrakes.htm

Edit - they "self adjust" if you turn them in too much but if you are talking about the parking brake, that's different.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thank you gents!

I called my friend at the parts store at lunchtime and they have the tool.
Now off to work.....