4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

clutch and suspension replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 AM
spk

clutch and suspension replacement

I'm new, so humor me.

I've got 116K on the original clutch in my '96 SE, and it needs to be replaced. I don't have the knowledge or resources to do it myself. What are my options for replacement clutch parts? My car is stock for now -- I'm not going to boost the engine performance significantly, so a clutch with the clamping force of the stock part will work fine. I guess I'm wondering about price vs. reliability for the stock replacement vs. some other replacement part. Anyone know what the stock replacement parts cost? What are some other parts to consider? Also, I want to get an STS in there -- would this be a good thing to do when the clutch is being replaced to minimize labor cost? Do shifter bushings and whatnot need to be replaced as well for a car with 116K? It hits all the gears without grinding, it just feels like the gates are hard to find.

Now for the suspension. (I've read the Stickies and FAQ's.) I've got the marshmallow ride goin on right now, and I need some suggestions as to what parts I should get for replacements. I want to firm things up, and that'll probably come with some amount of drop, but I'm not looking to go real low. I bet things will firm up with any new shocks, but I like a little bit stiffer ride (and a car that doesn't do the Buick bob-and-weave at highway speeds). I need to take this car on dirt and gravel roads sometimes, it'll be on packed snow in the winter a little, but mainly it'll get driven around town and on the highway. Adjustable shocks would be a plus, but not necessary. Budget is an issue. Any other parts that ought to be replaced about this time and while the suspension is apart?

Thanks a lot.
- spk -
Old 08-25-2004, 10:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Click on the links:
MAXMODS
JDM's Maxima Resource
maximaracing.org reviews

Read through the reviews so you can ask specific questions for specific products.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:12 AM
spk

Thanks Midknight.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by spk
Thanks Midknight.
No problem.