4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Torque for your Lugs????

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2001 | 05:57 AM

Im sorry but Im afraid the money these stores want for a torque wrench is more than Im willing to pay for a tool I'll probably use Once a year. So can someone please put in laments terms the approximate amount of rotations you should be applying to the lugs on your wheels.

I got some rims and ended up stripp'n my stud through over tighten'n. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks for you input
Old 04-06-2001 | 06:08 AM
Conecarver

You stripped a lug and you're worried about a $29 wrench from Sears?

The ~80lbs needed shouldn't take that much force to strip. Hand tighten as far as possible (making sure wheel is flush against). Then I'd say about one more full turn?

That torque wrench will also come in handy for strut braces and other stuff.
Old 04-06-2001 | 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Capitone
Im sorry but Im afraid the money these stores want for a torque wrench is more than Im willing to pay for a tool I'll probably use Once a year. ...
1) Maybe you can "go halves" with a friend and share the use of a torque wrench.

2) I have seen them at garage sales (used) for as little as $1. I've also bought repair manuals for $1. Bargains can be had if you look for them.
Old 04-06-2001 | 07:41 AM

Advance Auto Parts

A friend of mine went to Advance Auto parts, left his driver's license and they let him borrow the torque wrench. Wouldnt hurt for you to ask your local auto parts/hardware store if they would do the same for you.

If not, just go to Home Depot, buy the wrench and after you are done return it. I know thats kinda shifty, just a thought.

A torque wrench is a good investment, you never know when you might need it again.

Good Luck
Old 04-06-2001 | 07:53 AM

Re: Advance Auto Parts

Originally posted by DCmax
... just go to Home Depot, buy the wrench and after you are done return it. ...
That is stealing. Home Depot is not a lending library.
Old 04-06-2001 | 07:54 AM
ajaffee

You can buy an inexpensive torque wrench from AutoZone or PepBoys -- $19.
Old 04-06-2001 | 07:59 AM

Re: Re: Advance Auto Parts

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
That is stealing. Home Depot is not a lending library.
So is charging $29 for a torque wrench
Old 04-06-2001 | 08:50 AM
The missing moderator

Re: Re: Re: Advance Auto Parts

So is charging $29 for a torque wrench
how so? where's the logic in that? you give then $29 + tax, they give you a torque wrench.
Old 04-06-2001 | 09:00 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Advance Auto Parts

Originally posted by Shingles

how so? where's the logic in that? you give then $29 + tax, they give you a torque wrench.
29 for something that costs the prodcuer of the wrench about 50 cents.

People get so mad when record companies overcharge consumers for compact discs, it is the same principle here.

Which ofcourse, has nothing to do with this original thread and serves us no purpose arguing about it anymore since i could apply my theory to anything.

Im gonna roll to class now.
Old 04-06-2001 | 09:09 AM

50 cents

29 for something that costs the prodcuer of the wrench about 50 cents. ...
This bespeaks a profound ignorance of the cost of materials and manufacturing.

...Im gonna roll to class now.
Which class? Economics?
Old 04-06-2001 | 09:53 AM

Home Depot deserves praise

Originally posted by ajaffee
You can buy an inexpensive torque wrench from AutoZone or PepBoys -- $19.
Snap-on tools are preferred by automotive service professionals. They are of superior quality but also quite expensive. The Snap-on #QT3R250 1/2" drive adjustable click-type torque wrench costs $268. The look-alike Made In China tool is sufficiently accurate for most purposes, and it can be bought for $20-$30 from various mail order vendors including Harbor Freight.

Those who whine about Home Depot charging $29 for a torque wrench are misinformed. Outfits like Home Depot deserve public praise for offering affordable tools to the general public.
Old 04-06-2001 | 10:24 AM

Originally posted by BEJAY1
You stripped a lug and you're worried about a $29 wrench from Sears?

The ~80lbs needed shouldn't take that much force to strip. Hand tighten as far as possible (making sure wheel is flush against). Then I'd say about one more full turn?

That torque wrench will also come in handy for strut braces and other stuff.
The price of this wrench out here at it's cheapes was something in the ball park of 34.99, then 89.99 and thens something over the 120 mark. The mechanic who pointed me to it said that the lower priced one is not very accurate while the inbetween did more or less the same quality job as the 100 plus. All in all, I simply can't bring myself to buy a tool with such a minimal rate of use. That Pep boy idea (leave license/use tool) sounds like a Plan!!

You know, torque wrenches are rarely mentioned when people speak of putting on there rims. Is this like some implied notion or something? I mean, does everyone here really use a torque wrench when it comes to this?
Old 04-06-2001 | 10:39 AM

Torque wrench for wheel lug nuts

... You know, torque wrenches are rarely mentioned when people speak of putting on there rims. ...
That's true, but a lot of people speak of warped rotors. There is a connection.

... I mean, does everyone here really use a torque wrench when it comes to this? ...
I do.
Old 04-06-2001 | 10:46 AM

Re: Torque wrench for wheel lug nuts

Originally posted by Daniel B. Martin
That's true, but a lot of people speak of warped rotors. There is a connection.

I do.
Funny thing is I never had such problems when I used rotate/clean he stock rims for the Max. I used on of those 4 point wrenches (shows how much I know about tools) and never had a problem. I did the same to the Sentra I had before My Max....but the moment I put on these rims......POW!!...problems. I didn't even know what a torque wrench was until now
Old 04-06-2001 | 10:59 AM

Im sure i made a slight exaggeration with my statement that it would cost a producer only 50 cents to make a torque wrench, I was just trying to say....you know what F-it, I bought a torque wrench from home depot, in fact, im going to go use it now.
Old 04-06-2001 | 11:01 AM

Here is what poor people do

Use the 4 way to tighten firmly and drive to your nearest Tire store/ Discount Tire and ask the kid in the bay if you can use it for a second. Tip him a couple bucks, and go about your business. THere U go

R.
Sin City
Old 04-06-2001 | 11:58 AM

Torque Wrench Blues

Im sorry but Im afraid the money these stores want for a torque wrench is more than Im willing to pay for a tool I'll probably use Once a year. So can someone please put in laments terms the approximate amount of rotations you should be applying to the lugs on your wheels.

I got some rims and ended up stripp'n my stud through over tighten'n. I don't want to make the same mistake.

Thanks for you input
For between $28-31, you can get a very good torque wrench delivered to your door! Geeez!!!! That's about 5 days worth of lunch at your local fast food establishment. Once you get the wrench you'll use it to torque your wheel lugs when you rotate, attach that FSTB (recommend StreetBeat/Vibrant....it's cheap and believe it or not well made, you'll also use it when you change your spark plugs every 60K. Ok, you won't use it every day but it'll be there when you need it. Come on, 30 bucks and you're set. Forget about the "German Torque....Goood'n Tight", and do the right thing.
Old 04-06-2001 | 04:20 PM

Check Ebay.:)

I buy a lot of things off of there. It wouldn't surprise me if some guy had one in the back of his garage that he wanted to unload for $10.00

SHUMAX