4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

One headlight brighter than other

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 06:37 PM
SomePsychoGuy

One headlight brighter than other

I just recently did the 9007 conversion with the ntbk harness and sylvania xtravisions. Now my passenger (right) side headlight has very little light and looking at maxima10to1's pics my driver (left) side looks like it should. It is definitely brighter than stock still with only one side working as it should but I want my headlights to match. I swaped the sides of the bulbs with no change. I changed the ground on the right side but nothing. That side is on the very end of the wiring and has to cross over the front of the car. I will take pictures is a little bit and post them to see if I did something wrong. I know I swaped the wires fine on the input from the old harness. Please someone help me!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Make sure you ground your wires to the metal. I have the same problem when I did the conversion. Turn on your headlights, use the ground wires and tap on the metal to find the location and screw it down. When you have located the best location, your headlight will turn brighter. I ground (black wires) it to the horn. Hope this will solve your problem. Enjoy!!
Old 08-28-2004, 08:21 PM
SomePsychoGuy

At the moment I have both grounded to the screw on the fender. I had the ground on some bolt by the windshield wiper fluid funnel thing that had another wire grounded to it. I moved it thinking that maybe that ground point was bad but it did not change it at all. I also have both of the headlights aimed properly.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:07 AM
SomePsychoGuy

here are some pictures of my setup and of the problem. Pics are a bit blurry for the light beams, but you should get the idea. Click on pics for full size pics.

regular lights

left light only

right light only
Old 08-30-2004, 06:08 AM
SomePsychoGuy

Left side connection. Notice the ground wire going to the bolt in fender.

Wire going to right side. Should I route it somewhere else? Could this be the problem?

right side connection. Notice the ground wire going to the bolt in fender again. I changed it to this point since it worked fine with the other side.

I don't think that the fact that it has to go farther would have that great of a difference. I don't think it is the ground and I don't think it is the bulbs. I know I switched the input from the stock harness properly or neither would work. With just the left side working it is better than stock and have never heard of anyone else having this problem with the conversion.

Could one of you good electrical guys give me a some info on what this could be? If anyone has any ideas about what could be going wrong I would greatly appreciate it. At this point I am open to anything. I honestly have run out of ideas. If you need more or better pictures just ask. I am tired of having just one headlight bright and the other take a dump on itself.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:30 AM

What about straight to the battery??
Old 08-30-2004, 06:55 AM

i got the same prob..but my right headlight is lighter... no conversion...also when i turn my car on sometimes the light is out and i have pop the hood to tap the black plastic thing(not on actual lamp) infront of the wires so it turns back on...anybody know why? i was thinking bad wires and need to replace the wiring harness?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 AM
SomePsychoGuy

That is the thing I have a new wiring harness. I am going to play with it tonight but I don't want to scrap the new harness or have to rewire some of it unless it is definitely the problem.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:59 AM

hey guys I'm getting my car back tomorrow and I want to do the 9004 to 9007 bulbs upgrade. I remember someone on here did it first and they posted pics and instruction on how to do it but I've been searching and I can't find it. SO can someone please help me out? And one last questions. When I complete the conversion can I use hight wattage bulbs like catz galaxy white?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:00 PM
SomePsychoGuy

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=75

You can buy a harness off ebay from ntbk or any upgraded harness, and then you will be able to run higher wattage, but what I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I would clean off the paint where the ground goes. Check the resistance off all the wires in the new harness, use some diaelectric grease on the sockets. It looks like a bad connedtion some where.